+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP 2020

maba

Star Member
May 21, 2014
Hi all,

Need a help. I am in Canada on closed work permit valid until Jan 2022 but my visa is valid only till May 2021. My spouse is in India and has to apply for spouse open work permit. He already holds TRV valid until May 2021. If he gets his open work permit by say, November or December going by current wait time, there will be only 5 months left on the visa expiry date. Will my spouse be able to still travel at that time? Kindly help.

Thanks,
Naina
If your spouse already has Canadian visitor visa then I would just come to Canada and apply for work permit at the port of entry. This would be the quickest best way to go.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
No work permits available via flagpoling these days.
Unless one is an essential worker.

BTW, getting permit at port of entry is NOT always "Flagpoling". It is a very genuine way to get your initial work permit.

hp19

Jun 25, 2020
I have already applied work permit online and have a visitor visa too. Can I still just go to Canada and get work permit at port of entry? I want to go after they pull travel restrictions.

Kat_

Jun 17, 2020
Category........
FSW
any body applied SOWP with in Canada after bioinformatic exemption. what is the time frame nowadays. when i applied it was 36 days only now it is 95 days

is anybody have SOWP approved these days. please reply

thanks
I applied from within Canada in first week of April 2020. No update.

Kat_

Jun 17, 2020
Category........
FSW
Quick question - I'm in Canada on a visitor visa (valid for 6 months, expiring at the beginning of October). I submitted my SOWP application as soon as I arrived at the start of April (could not be issued at POE so applied online). No update since, it's coming to 5 months.
How much longer should I wait before I apply for visitor visa extension?

Thanks!

grattan

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
I applied from within Canada in first week of April 2020. No update.
it is too late. r u went at border. one of my friend visit border and they issued open work permit after request. but when i visit they refused.

any body tell me what is the solution of this.

with regards

Kat_

Jun 17, 2020
Category........
FSW
it is too late. r u went at border. one of my friend visit border and they issued open work permit after request. but when i visit they refused.

any body tell me what is the solution of this.

with regards
I applied first at the border (POE, Toronto airport) but the border officer refused to issue me SOWP. I had travel exemption letter from the embassy and the officer said that I was allowed to enter Canada to be with my husband and not to work. But that I should apply online - which I did, the next day.
It really depends what mood the border officer is in. A lot of people I know have had issues and then some had no issues at all.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied first at the border (POE, Toronto airport) but the border officer refused to issue me SOWP. I had travel exemption letter from the embassy and the officer said that I was allowed to enter Canada to be with my husband and not to work. But that I should apply online - which I did, the next day.
It really depends what mood the border officer is in. A lot of people I know have had issues and then some had no issues at all.
CBSA isn't supposed to be allowing flagpoling but it seems as though some have. Most people have been told to apply online.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Quick question - I'm in Canada on a visitor visa (valid for 6 months, expiring at the beginning of October). I submitted my SOWP application as soon as I arrived at the start of April (could not be issued at POE so applied online). No update since, it's coming to 5 months.
How much longer should I wait before I apply for visitor visa extension?

Thanks!
Apply for an extension right before your visitor status expires.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have already applied work permit online and have a visitor visa too. Can I still just go to Canada and get work permit at port of entry? I want to go after they pull travel restrictions.
You need special permission to travel to Canada since it sounds like your spouse is not a PR or citizen.