+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing/Moving to Canada

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alright, this helps thanks.. Do we have to inform IRCC about Goods to follow list? if so, how do we do that
The next time you meet the border officer, submit your goods to follow list. IRCC and border officer are different federal agencies.

Reactions: Ankson

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Depending how long you would be returning to Canada, some people would suggest you not to open bank account in Canada so as to not establish tax residency.
I am planning to return next year. Even by opening an account and utilizing credit card makes us eligible for tax payment? I thought of building credit history before even coming back to Canada. I am not sure if I understood the term tax residency

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am planning to return next year. Even by opening an account and utilizing credit card makes us eligible for tax payment? I thought of building credit history before even coming back to Canada. I am not sure if I understood the term tax residency
You will need to declare your tax residency when you open a bank account in Canada, but I'm not sure if the bank approve a credit card to you when you open a non resident bank account with them.

Wsxedc

Apr 20, 2022
Could someone share some inputs in regards to my situation below?
I recently got my COPR and passport stamped and am planning to do a soft landing via land this June and use AVR to return to US.
I plan to stay in Canada for about 10 days.
My question is can I use my US drivers license and drive my US plated private vehicle cross the border and drive in Canada for the 10 days without importing it?
Thank you in advance for your reply.

rakasaabu

Jun 1, 2020
Could someone share some inputs in regards to my situation below?
I recently got my COPR and passport stamped and am planning to do a soft landing via land this June and use AVR to return to US.
I plan to stay in Canada for about 10 days.
My question is can I use my US drivers license and drive my US plated private vehicle cross the border and drive in Canada for the 10 days without importing it?
Thank you in advance for your reply.
Yes, you can. If you tell the border agent that you are not moving permanently. They may ask VIN if you intend to import your car in future.

Anky2449

Jan 15, 2020
Don't forget to apply for a SIN before you return back to US.
Might not be possible but can try. Last month when we went to a SIN office during our soft landing, they told us to apply online as the office has reduced some operations due to pandemic

pk2711

Jan 15, 2020
@legalfalcon I have a COPR and my current COR is India. I need to travel to the US for a few months before I can land in Canada and complete my landing formalities. Can I travel from US to Canada instead of traveling from India? Do I need to let IRCC know using a webform now? Or do I need to let IRCC know only if it is more than six months in US for new PCC purposes?