+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing/Moving to Canada

rakasaabu

Jun 1, 2020
Might not be possible but can try. Last month when we went to a SIN office during our soft landing, they told us to apply online as the office has reduced some operations due to pandemic
we also applied online but to do that you must have an address proof e.g. Bank statement, Canadian job Offer letter mentioning the address, phone or electricity bill. So in that case at least open a bank account(DO NOT TELL THEM THAT YOU ARE NOT A RESIDENT OR GOING BACK TO USA ETC) and activate online banking when you are in Canada. once you receive first bank statement you can use it to apply your SIN. Hope that helps.

liaquat85

Mar 24, 2017
Category........
FSW
1) We've seen many in same boat in this forum. Usually people fax their new address to IRCC and wait for their reply.
2) Yes, it's normal.
The same thing happened to me.
IS there anyone who got the PR card by sending a query/email to IRCC for a permanent residency card? I need to apply for my spouse and dependent children and for that purpose I need the PR card?

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Might not be possible but can try. Last month when we went to a SIN office during our soft landing, they told us to apply online as the office has reduced some operations due to pandemic
We were able to get SIN...We could not apply PR Card...Also officer did not sign/stamp Goods list

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
we also applied online but to do that you must have an address proof e.g. Bank statement, Canadian job Offer letter mentioning the address, phone or electricity bill. So in that case at least open a bank account(DO NOT TELL THEM THAT YOU ARE NOT A RESIDENT OR GOING BACK TO USA ETC) and activate online banking when you are in Canada. once you receive first bank statement you can use it to apply your SIN. Hope that helps.
I was able to get SIN but could not open an account as I did not have resident proof.

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
The same thing happened to me.
IS there anyone who got the PR card by sending a query/email to IRCC for a permanent residency card? I need to apply for my spouse and dependent children and for that purpose I need the PR card?
Hi, Please let me know the process if you were able to update Canada address

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
question not related to soft landing, apologies!

Anyone got L1/H1 stamped recently in Canada or Mexico. Need guidance. Please let me know

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
question not related to soft landing, apologies!

Anyone got L1/H1 stamped recently in Canada or Mexico. Need guidance. Please let me know
Refer the stamping threads from the mail H1 thread:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/h-1b-holders-in-the-u-s.59/

You have all the information you need. Just start applying and you can easily complete the process. Its not complex. Website workflow will automatically tell if you are qualified for interview waiver or you need to book appointment.
https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Hello everyone!

First of all, I wanted to thank everyone in this forum for sharing so many insights. As my wife and I just completed our COPR Landing process this week, I wanted to share the experience. I am on the H-1B visa and my wife on H4 visa. We both have our expired Visa Stamp, so we used AVR to re-enter the USA after completing the landing process. We used the Cornwall Port of Entry. We went on a weekday so traffic was very light on both sides.

Canada side (Cornwall Port of Entry):
Entry Checkpoint:

• Crossed the bridge and paid $3 for the checkpoint pass.
  • The officer asked the purpose and mentioned the CORP and landing formalities. Officer asked for the following information:
    Provided Passport + CoPR. Recent Covid testing certificate, ArriveCAN details with vaccination certificate, GOTF document as I mentioned I am planning to move permanently later.
  • Asked if I bought anything from duty-free shops in Cornwall island: Answered no
  • Asked for if carrying weapons or illegal: Answered no
  • The officer gave us the slip and asked us to park the car and go inside the office to complete the PR processing.
At Office (Canada):

The officer inside was very polite and knowledgeable. As soon as we went inside, the officer asked if we were here to complete the PR landing process. As he went through the documents, he explained some of the steps to us. He was training another officer how to process such applications.
  • Documents requested: CoPR, Passports, Covid Vaccination Cards, Negative test results, and Goods to follow list (printed word document)
  • Signed both copies of CoPR and was asked to answer a couple of questions on COPR and sign our initials
  • Asked for my address to send the PR card.
  • As I had provided the GFT form (including the car details with my VIN and all), I believe it took them a few more minutes to create a GTF form. He specifically asked a couple of times and explained that people usually underestimate the jewelry value, and when they bring it with them later, it is a lot more.
  • The process was super smooth at the office and took around 20-30minutes. He finally congratulated us and informed us that we could get our SIN number as the Service Canada office, which is only 7 minutes from that place.
  • I was good to go with my copy of the signed CoPR & entry stamp on my Passport.
  • We went to the Service Canada office to get the SIN number. However, only one lady was working so we had to wait for 30-40minutes before our turn came. Unfortunately, the lady told us that due to Covid, they had reduced some of the processing at the center, so she asked us to apply for SIN online.
  • NOTE: As I don’t have proof of Canada address yet, I wanted to get the SIN number from the center as address proof is not required.
  • We finally went to eat some food before heading back to the US. Another paid $3 for a checkpoint pass for the bridge.
US side (Rooseveltown Port of Entry)
Entry Checkpoint:

Officer was again super friendly and knowledgeable. He knew about the AVR process.
  • Asked for our passports and I-797s
  • Asked for the reason for travel & how long we were in Canada: Mentioned PR landing and two hours.
  • Asked if we own or rent a house: Stated we are renting one.
  • Asked if we were heading back home: Stated that we are going to Lake Placid for a couple of days. We did a small talk on it for 2minutes.
  • Officer said everything was good, and we were all good to go. He didn’t ask us to go inside the office or anything.
  • Before leaving, we just did another small talk for 2 minutes.
  • I can’t emphasize how smooth the whole process was. It took about 10minutes on the US side.
Hello, I see you carried Covid Negative test results with you. Is this still a requirement? Do we need Antigen or RT-PCR? Also, how old can this test report be? Is it needed for a child of 8 years age as well? Please advice.

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
I am planning to return next year. Even by opening an account and utilizing credit card makes us eligible for tax payment? I thought of building credit history before even coming back to Canada. I am not sure if I understood the term tax residency
Hello there. How did it go with bank account opening? Please share. Did you open an account with any bank after soft landing? Also, does it have tax implications on you here in USA (if you are not earning money on your account in Canada)?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello, I see you carried Covid Negative test results with you. Is this still a requirement? Do we need Antigen or RT-PCR? Also, how old can this test report be? Is it needed for a child of 8 years age as well? Please advice.
You should only refer to recent rules before entering the country and prepare accordingly. Because they keep changing rules all the time - for example: they had 2 changes in the last few weeks itself.
To confirm call the border.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

Reactions: Abhi1982

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
I was able to get SIN but could not open an account as I did not have resident proof.
Hello. Please provide insight of your recent experience. Did you need to carry negative covid test results? If yes, is it RT-PCR or ANtigen they accept? Did you cross the border via land or by Air? I see you could not provide any address for PR card and they told you to apply when you move permanently. In that case, how did you apply for SIN?

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
I am currently living in Atlanta, GA. I need to go to soft landing at the end of May along with my wife and 8 year old kid. Kindly suggest which land border should I pick up for this? I was thinking Windsor tunnel in Detroit or Ambassador bridge or the Buffalo NY border. Any guidance will be highly appreciated. Are these border open all 7 days for soft landing purpose or specific days only?

Ridham28

Feb 28, 2022
Dear All - I am currently at USA at F-1 Visa. I got my COPR and I am planning to land Canada (Soft Landing). I got PR based on provincial nomination at Ontario. But I am right now at California. I would like to land (by air) at Vancouver and would like to fly back after 2/3 days. I don't like to fly Ontario.

(1) Will there be any problem if I don't visit Ontario? My plan to soft land at Vancouver BC and return back to California after 2/3 days.
(2) What should I say to officer at airport if they ask about my intent - soft landing or normal landing?
(3) Do I need to present any air fare ticket of Ontario to officer?
(4) What are the chances that officer reject my PR?
(5) As my F-1 visa currently expired (I-20 still valid), I would like to return back considering Automatic Revalidation (AR). Will be any problem during facing CBP?

Please suggest and share details. Tagging for expert opinion
Hi @sm07

I am in exactly same situation. Please share your experience if you already have gone through it.

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Hello. Please provide insight of your recent experience. Did you need to carry negative covid test results? If yes, is it RT-PCR or ANtigen they accept? Did you cross the border via land or by Air? I see you could not provide any address for PR card and they told you to apply when you move permanently. In that case, how did you apply for SIN?
1. Only Vaccination Proof
2. Land
3. Address is not required if you apply in person

Reactions: Abhi1982