+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing/Moving to Canada

Feb 8, 2021
Hi guys,

My COPR will be expiring as of July 8th and I was informed to move to Canada before that date. I'm currently in the US on H1B. If anyone can help with the below set of questions, that will be helpful

Scenario: My USA visa(F1) expired almost 3 years ago and I do not have a stamp in my passport for H1.

1. Can I do a soft landing at a border and return back to US?
2. Will I require a US visa if I do a soft landing?
3. Has anyone got their H1B stamping done in Canada recently?

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
hi, i am trying to do soft landing and wanted to know what you mean by 'I was informed to move to Canada before that date' like who informed you and such?

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Hi guys,

My COPR will be expiring as of July 8th and I was informed to move to Canada before that date. I'm currently in the US on H1B. If anyone can help with the below set of questions, that will be helpful

Scenario: My USA visa(F1) expired almost 3 years ago and I do not have a stamp in my passport for H1.

1. Can I do a soft landing at a border and return back to US?
2. Will I require a US visa if I do a soft landing?
3. Has anyone got their H1B stamping done in Canada recently?
As long as you have valid I797 and I94 you can use AVR to travel back to US
Not required, see above point
Not recently, all appointments have been canceled till this point and no hope that you can schedule a new appoinment in next few months

Reactions: futureCanadian2021

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
hi, i am trying to do soft landing and wanted to know what you mean by 'I was informed to move to Canada before that date' like who informed you and such?
Your COPR has a time limit, you should move permanently or at least do a soft landing before your COPR expires, IRCC Is not going to extend COPR's anymore.

Feb 8, 2021
IRCC mentioned that my COPR will expire and they will not provide an extension again. If i do not move to canada now, I will need to start a new application again

Feb 8, 2021
As long as you have valid I797 and I94 you can use AVR to travel back to US
Not required, see above point
Not recently, all appointments have been canceled till this point and no hope that you can schedule a new appoinment in next few months
Thanks for showing a ray of hope.
Another question, if Canada border does not allow soft landing, can I quarantine in Canada for 14 days and user AVR to return back?

gvrt88

Oct 11, 2020
Hello, sorry for hijacking the thread. I'm on the same boat, planning to soft land sometime this month. If they do allow us to return back to the US, is a Covid-19 test required to enter into the US(assuming the Visa is valid)? US Govt website only says negative covid-19 test is required for air travel and is not required for land travel. Is this true?

Feb 8, 2021
Hello, sorry for hijacking the thread. I'm on the same boat, planning to soft land sometime this month. If they do allow us to return back to the US, is a Covid-19 test required to enter into the US(assuming the Visa is valid)? US Govt website only says negative covid-19 test is required for air travel and is not required for land travel. Is this true?
Not really sure. Also do you know if soft landing is allowed these days?

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
IRCC mentioned that my COPR will expire and they will not provide an extension again. If i do not move to canada now, I will need to start a new application again
ohh this is new to know thank you. I am going to try soft landing this week and will definitely update here. Hopefully they will let us take a uturn and come back. My copr would expire next week.

Did you get this info via webform or calling them, because restarting a whole new application again is a troublesome process

Feb 8, 2021
ohh this is new to know thank you. I am going to try soft landing this week and will definitely update here. Hopefully they will let us take a uturn and come back. My copr would expire next week.

Did you get this info via webform or calling them, because restarting a whole new application again is a troublesome process
I did put in a webform request, but haven't heard back yet
Do keep this thread updated. Which border are you trying to cross By the way?

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
I did put in a webform request, but haven't heard back yet
Do keep this thread updated. Which border are you trying to cross By the way?
detroit-windsor ambassador bridge. but i am still nervous about the outcome.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Yes, no need for a test report for land travellers to enter US.

Reactions: gvrt88

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
Hi all can someone please list down the checklist you used while attempting soft landing? I am going to attempt in 2 days

for cbsa:
Bank statements, passports, copr, marriage ceritificates
for cbp:
i797, i94, visa documents what else?

My wife's current h4 visa stamp expires in september so is her i94, but that visa stamp is of my previous employer. my new employer is yet to file h4 extension for her. I think it should be fine, please share your thoughts. TIA