+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing/Moving to Canada

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Refer the stamping threads from the mail H1 thread:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/h-1b-holders-in-the-u-s.59/

You have all the information you need. Just start applying and you can easily complete the process. Its not complex. Website workflow will automatically tell if you are qualified for interview waiver or you need to book appointment.
https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv
I see nothing is available. First available date in Canada is July 2023. Do you know anyone who went through the process recently and got visa stamped

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I see nothing is available. First available date in Canada is July 2023. Do you know anyone who went through the process recently and got visa stamped
I hear dates are not available soon. And actual dates might be sooner if you are trying to book the appointment after you are done with profile creation etc. Dates are still worse in Canada.

kusump

Nov 23, 2021
- Here for a couple of days 7-10 days
- Yes officer told that validated COPR along with passport is good enough to cross land border
Hi Ankson,
Could you please clarify below questions?
1) Does "validated COPR" has any expiration date similar to COPR which we have received initially from IRCC ?Does Validated COPR means we can use it with our passport anytime in 3-4 years ?
2) Also, have you reached out to IRCC for PR card?
3) What is the address of SIN office and what documents we need to show to get SIN ?

Thanks in advance.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1) Does "validated COPR" has any expiration date similar to COPR which we have received initially from IRCC ?Does Validated COPR means we can use it with our passport anytime in 3-4 years ?
Validated is nothing but the copr you used it for first time landing.
Via road you can use copr and passport to enter Canada. Expiry date on COPR doesnt matter as officer just want to know if you can prove that you are PR.

Reactions: kusump

kusump

Nov 23, 2021
Validated is nothing but the copr you used it for first time landing.
Via road you can use copr and passport to enter Canada. Expiry date on COPR doesnt matter as officer just want to know if you can prove that you are PR.
Thank you.
Are we still considered PR even if officer doesn't activate PR during soft landing or doesn't accept the relative/friend's address to send the PR card?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you.
Are we still considered PR even if officer doesn't activate PR during soft landing or doesn't accept the relative/friend's address to send the PR card?
2 things:
One: Landing or validating COPR. This is the stage you receive PR status officially and PR residency obligation clock starts.
Two: Officer applies for PR card.

I assume you meant "Officer doesnt apply for PR card". If he doesnt allow then also its ok as you can apply for PR card later but if you complete #one then you are PR. Important is #one. #two is optional.
So next time when you want to enter Canada then you can enter via land using personal/rental car using copr+Passport.
PR card is needed to board bus/plane(any commercial vehicle).

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Hi Ankson,
Could you please clarify below questions?
2) Also, have you reached out to IRCC for PR card?
3) What is the address of SIN office and what documents we need to show to get SIN ?

Thanks in advance.
Hello

1) I do not think there is an expiration date but I guess its valid only for land border crossing. Not sure for how many times and years
2) No not yet, looking for guidance. Let me know if you get more information on the process
3) You need to look for Service Canada Centers. We went to 3085A Glen Erin Dr, Mississauga, ON L5L 1J3, Canada

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Thank you.
Yes. PR is just a travel
I hear dates are not available soon. And actual dates might be sooner if you are trying to book the appointment after you are done with profile creation etc. Dates are still worse in Canada.
Hmmm, thanks for the note! Please drop a message if you hear more

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
2 things:
One: Landing or validating COPR. This is the stage you receive PR status officially and PR residency obligation clock starts.

I assume you meant "Officer doesnt apply for PR card". If he doesnt allow then also its ok as you can apply for PR card later but if you complete #one then you are PR. Important is #one. #two is optional.
So next time when you want to enter Canada then you can enter via land using personal/rental car using copr+Passport.
Yes thats true. Second that

krisshimmi

May 9, 2022
2 things:

Hi,

Appreciate your insight. You mentioned one cannot use validated COPR while flying into Canada on a commercial airline. Is this because airlines are not willing to accept such a passenger ? If yes, are there situations where one can convince airlines boarding agent that its legitimate PR ?

Thanks!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi,

Appreciate your insight. You mentioned one cannot use validated COPR while flying into Canada on a commercial airline. Is this because airlines are not willing to accept such a passenger ? If yes, are there situations where one can convince airlines boarding agent that its legitimate PR ?

Thanks!
PR card to be used for plane/bus/commercial carrier. its like travel documents such as visa(for visa required passports). We all can travel without visa except that airlines wont let us in as these visas are there just for making us reach the immigration post. As we cannot reach the immigration post without boarding the plane and we are not allowed to board without travel document such as pr card or prtd, we cannot travel through them hence we travel via land to reach immigration post without these plane/bus and prove the officer that we are PR using the copr and for identity we show the passport.

So we cannot use any commercial vehicle without travel document to board on it.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

kusump

Nov 23, 2021
2 things:

Thanks harirajmohan and Ankson.

FeelTheBern

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-12-2020
Med's Request
22-03-2022
Med's Done....
01-04-2022
Passport Req..
14-04-2022
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2022
Hi All,

Could you please advise me when I should plan for Canada soft landing from the US given my situation:
  • COPR: Valid till Nov 2022
  • L1 visa stamp: Valid till Jun 2022
  • I-94 on I-797 (approved L1 extension): Valid till Jun 2024
I have two options:
  1. Soft landing before the L1 visa stamp gets expired (i.e. by Jun 2022). In that case, while re-entering the US, will CBP issue a new I-94 matching the end date of paper I-94 on I-797 (i.e. Jun 2024)? Or, they might issue an I-94 valid only till the visa stamp expiry date (i.e. Jun 2022)?
  2. Use AVR (automatic visa revalidation) after the visa stamp gets expired (i.e. post Jun 2022) as I have a valid I-797 and I-94 till Jun 2024. Is there any risk with this route?
Please let me know which option seems better and if there's a clear CBP guideline for issuing I-94s in case of Option 1.

Appreciate your inputs!

Ridham28

Feb 28, 2022
Yes, anyone with valid I797 and I94 can re-enter USA without a valid visa in a passport. This is only applicable if you travelled to Canada or Mexico and your stay is 30 days or less.

I personally used this option so it is pretty easy to come back to the states but I am not sure how things are at border with new restrictons and what not.
Hi @starlordavuthu, I am planning to soft land as well, Im currently on Day1 CPT and F1 visa about to expire June 6, My CoPR is valid till July 27 plus my H1b got selected this year and my application is in process. Can I reenter US via AVR with expired F1 visa - do i need anything else except I20 .