+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing/Moving to Canada

rakasaabu

Jun 1, 2020
Hi, not sure if it was asked previosuly,
I am on H4 visa, I plan to work in USA for any remote canadian company or even do freelance and get money in canada account while staying in USA.

Is it possible to open a canada bank account from USA and use it for any deposits purpose. I saw that scoatiabank allows opening of an account online as long as you have a canadian phone number. (planning to take a canada textnow phone number for an year $4.99/yr)
Are you a permanent resident of Canada? Do you have SIN?

veemi002

Jan 28, 2022
Hi,

I have got CoPR and visa till Apr 28th, 2022 and I need to soft land on or before Apr 28th to activate my PR. My currently working in US in H1B visa. I have valid H1B visa stamping my passport but want to use AVR rule for my wife and kid while returning to US. Planning to visit detroit-windsor tunnel for PR activation and return to US in 2-3 days. I see multiple locations in Detroit, can someone suggest which one is better option or no differences based on location and I can go any location near to my place (Chicago)? Please suggest.

Windsor tunnel
(or)
Ambassador bridge
(or)
Blue water bridge

Satnamwahe

Jan 10, 2021
Hi I’ve been picked for H1B and almost got my COPR. My query is so I wait for my H1B approved before soft landing in Canada? Is copr a single entry? Do I have to tell a friend to post the PR card if I go back to the US

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi, not sure if it was asked previosuly,
I am on H4 visa, I plan to work in USA for any remote canadian company or even do freelance and get money in canada account while staying in USA.

Is it possible to open a canada bank account from USA and use it for any deposits purpose. I saw that scoatiabank allows opening of an account online as long as you have a canadian phone number. (planning to take a canada textnow phone number for an year $4.99/yr)
Are you aware of the tax implications on doing this arrangement? You have to declare your foreign income in your next year tax filings. Make sure you findout these details with a tax consultant and proceed accordingly

someguy007

Feb 4, 2021
F1 people can still use AVR, few folks have done this earlier who posted in this group. But if your status has changed within US from a B2 to F1 and haven't exited the country till now, not sure how things would work. Im still positive but just double check with some immigration attorney.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/avr-question.275236/
Hey, I was able to do a soft landing without any issues. Both sides were very accommodating. Thanks again for your advice!!

Reactions: Shackle

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Seniors --Need advice, please

We soft landed in Canada on 17th via Ambassador bridge. Officer did not take our Canadian relative's address as we told that we are here for a week-10 days. She told us to apply for PR card when move permanently. Also she did not look at our Goods to follow list. Again, she mentioned that you will have to submit the list when you move permanently. She questioned us "what happens to your list incase you buy anything in the future, will you pay duty for that?"

Questions which I have:

1) Do we have to call IRCC and request for PR card by telling them local address or is it normal that we can not apply for PR card now but only when we move permanently. Did any of you face this situation?

2) Officer did not sign Goods to Follow form? Is that also normal ?

Please advise. I am still in Canada and planning to return by end of the week

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seniors --Need advice, please

We soft landed in Canada on 17th via Ambassador bridge. Officer did not took our Canadian relative address as we told that we are here for a week-10 days. She told us that you will have to apply for PR card when you decide to move permanently. Also she did not look at our Goods to follow form. Again she mentioned that you will have to submit the list when you move permanently. She questioned us "what happens to your list incase you buy anything in future, will you pay duty for that?"

Question which I have:

1) Do we have to call IRCC and request for PR card by telling them local address or is it normal that we can not apply for PR car now but only when we move permanently. Did any of you face this situation?

2) Office did not sign Good to Follow form? Is that also normal ?

Please advise. I am still in Canada and planning to return by end of the week
1) We've seen many in same boat in this forum. Usually people fax their new address to IRCC and wait for their reply.
2) Yes, it's normal.

Shackle

May 11, 2019
Hi @Ankson , I am planning a landing in the next couple weeks, and reading up on experiences from folks. Did you tell them you are planning to move permanently later? Or that you don’t have plans to move right now?

And it does sound like issuing a PR card during soft landing is definitely a hit or miss but a validated copr should work for crossing land borders in the future even without a PR card.

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
1) We've seen many in same boat in this forum. Usually people fax their new address to IRCC and wait for their reply.
2) Yes, it's normal.
Alright, this helps thanks.. Do we have to inform IRCC about Goods to follow list? if so, how do we do that

Ankson

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Hi @Ankson , I am planning a landing in the next couple weeks, and reading up on experiences from folks. Did you tell them you are planning to move permanently later? Or that you don’t have plans to move right now?

And it does sound like issuing a PR card during soft landing is definitely a hit or miss but a validated copr should work for crossing land borders in the future even without a PR card.
- Here for a couple of days 7-10 days
- Yes officer told that validated COPR along with passport is good enough to cross land border

Last edited: