+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing in March/April 2020 and coronavirus concerns

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for your reply.
Some questions, For travelling back to US From Canada do we need any other documents other than below if my US H1-B Visa has already been expired?
1) I can come back to US on AVR?
2) Approved Valid I-797 with future date validity.
2) I-94 with future date validity.
3) Do we need client letter or letter from employer?
Sorry. I don't have any experience in entering US on AVR.
I believe there are several posts on this forum that talk about AVR specifically and maybe of help.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thanks for your reply.
Some questions, For travelling back to US From Canada do we need any other documents other than below if my US H1-B Visa has already been expired?
1) I can come back to US on AVR?
2) Approved Valid I-797 with future date validity.
2) I-94 with future date validity.
3) Do we need client letter or letter from employer?
I had entered US on AVR. Only 1,2,2 were needed. I wasn't asked for any employer letter and I don't think that is needed.

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Am sharing my recent landing experience, landed end of April and returned to US after 16 days of self isolation.

Took a direct flight from US to Toronto airport, American Airlines. The agent took our visa and did not even ask for COPR document, though he was on the phone for sometime and took about 10 minutes to check us in, but no issues. Traveled with spouse.

On landing we had to fill out a couple of forms about Covid, one for symptoms and declaration and one for details about where we will be staying and isolating. The forms also ask for detailed contact information, phone number email, address etc.

CBSA officer asked us for detailed plans about isolation, including how we plan to get groceries, we had all proof (bookings, statement from AirBnB host etc) but they took our word for it which was nice :). For groceries our AirBnB host delivered the first batch (which we told the officer and they seemed to accept that) and placed them in the house, for the rest of the days we ordered using online ordering. We used a site called inabuggy it was expensive ($20 delivery fee) but very fast, same day delivery.

The actual landing part is done by a different immigration agent, they asked all the usual questions about proof of funds, what are your plans etc. They also double checked our self isolation plans and asked about how we will go to the AirBnB, we said Uber, they said that is fine as long as you don't stop anywhere and wear a mask. Overall very friendly and smooth PR process, they said now you are officially PR and signed the COPR, said PR card will take 1-3 months, if it takes longer raise a webform but its probably because of Covid19 :( . The officer was very friendly and even accepted my cousins address to mail the PR card :). She asked us if we are "running away from Trump" :D and said that current US immigration policy has been a gift to Canada :)

Finally at the airport we got our goods to follow stamped, this took the longest about 30 minutes, but eventually worked out.

Took an Uber to the AirBnB, Toronto airport was nearly empty.

We had carried dried food : rice, daal, spices, salt, sugar, tea etc. No fruits or vegetables, I think at some point CBSA asked us if we are carrying fruits but that's it. We were quite comfortable with online delivery + our packed items.

We spent 14 days locked up inside our AirBnB, ordered groceries and takeout, it was tiresome to be indoors but overall not too bad.
Our self isolation period was smooth except that I missed a call (my phone was turned off and it was 830AM on a Saturday :( ) from the Canadian health authorities, all it said was:

"Sorry to miss you, we will call you back"

It seems this was part of their effort to track self isolation and if you are following the guidelines, no one called me back and to the best of my knowledge no one came at my door either, so I am a little nervous about that but I would recommend that everyone traveling keep a phone on loud and near them at all times :D .. because 99% someone will call you and you don't want the stress of missing their call!

When we originally traveled we booked a 1-way flight, and had planned to spend 2 weeks after isolation with my cousin and potentially look for jobs for my spouse, but rumors/reports started to circle about new H1B restrictions in the US so after 16 days we returned to US. I used AVR it was smooth but took a long time (total 2 hours at the airport even though it was fully empty).

Returning again Toronto airport was empty, we could not find a direct flight so had a connection the flight within the US was 100% full :( .. the flight from Toronto to US was ~20% full, and the US airport seemed to be at 70% capacity!

I won't feel comfortable until I have the PR card (current wait time is ~115 days :( ) in hand, but happy to finish the landing process even though we had to return sooner than we wanted.
Hey ryacatcher thanks for the update. Did the immigration agent ask you specifically if you intended to stay or do a soft-landing? Did you at any time have to disclose that you had a flight scheduled to go back home? Or they just don't care?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hey ryacatcher thanks for the update. Did the immigration agent ask you specifically if you intended to stay or do a soft-landing? Did you at any time have to disclose that you had a flight scheduled to go back home? Or they just don't care?
They ask you on landing to fill out your travel plans exactly as part of the covid forms.

They did ask us what is your reason for trip, we did not have a return trip booked at the time and had planned to stay for a month or two, so we just said that in general terms, "to settle, spend time with my family and look for a job for my spouse etc.". They are not aware of the phrase soft-landing, but they do ask you specifically what travel plans you have.

In the current environment I would avoid booking a return trip before hand, I read other folks posting that they booked a return trip after finishing their landing.

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Anyone here in US with COPR approved after March 18th, but expiring soon in 2-3 months? How are we supposed to complete landing if we are not even allowed to do so? If COPR expires before travel restrictions are lifted, will we have to send our passports back to Ottawa (or a different issuing office) for extension and re-stamping?

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
Anyone here in US with COPR approved after March 18th, but expiring soon in 2-3 months? How are we supposed to complete landing if we are not even allowed to do so? If COPR expires before travel restrictions are lifted, will we have to send our passports back to Ottawa (or a different issuing office) for extension and re-stamping?
Yes, mine expires on August 6. I want to land soon, maybe mid July if the borders are open. If not, we will need to apply for extensions...

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Yeah I believe so. They will need to place 1 new stamp/Visa on your passport that expires in the future. You can’t travel with an expired visa for any reason
Ugh the anxiety of them sitting with our passport for 3-4 months (like they recently did) is unbearable.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
I’m currently in the USA and I called CBSA today... the lady I spoke to was very nice. She said that depending on the time that we enter, there may or may not be immigration services there, to process our landing. But she said that even if there’s no one there from immigration, the border officer would process us and let us in. The immigration landing would be done later once they’re available.
I asked her specifically if there’s any reason we would be denied entry and she said no there’s no reason since you’re coming from USA. It’s just that the immigration services may not be available

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
I’m currently in the USA and I called CBSA today... the lady I spoke to was very nice. She said that depending on the time that we enter, there may or may not be immigration services there, to process our landing. But she said that even if there’s no one there from immigration, the border officer would process us and let us in. The immigration landing would be done later once they’re available.
I asked her specifically if there’s any reason we would be denied entry and she said no there’s no reason since you’re coming from USA. It’s just that the immigration services may not be available
Thank you, this is encouraging. And this is true for those whose COPR was issued after March 18th, correct? Would we need to quarantine for 14 days or can we turn around and come right back?

vikas.trades25

Jan 8, 2019
Did you find out the answer? I’m not sure if COPR landing for settling down in Canada from USA is considered essential or not either.
Yes you could go (if you are able to) and it is considered essential if your CoPR case was approved before Mar 18, 2020.
If you are unable to go or unwilling to go before your CoPR expiration date, then you would have to raise a fresh webform (raise it when u r able to travel again) and they will tell you next steps

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Yes you could go (if you are able to) and it is considered essential if your CoPR case was approved before Mar 18, 2020.
If you are unable to go or unwilling to go before your CoPR expiration date, then you would have to raise a fresh webform (raise it when u r able to travel again) and they will tell you next steps
What about for COPRs issued after March 18?

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
Thank you, this is encouraging. And this is true for those whose COPR was issued after March 18th, correct? Would we need to quarantine for 14 days or can we turn around and come right back?
You need to quarantine no matter what when you enter Canada. But I guess they can’t stop you from returning back after 14 days.

What about for COPRs issued after March 18?
If you are from the USA, you are exempt from the restrictions.
If you are not from the USA, you are exempt only if you got COPR before March 18.

Source - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html