+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing in March/April 2020 and coronavirus concerns

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Am sharing my recent landing experience, landed end of April and returned to US after 16 days of self isolation.

Took a direct flight from US to Toronto airport, American Airlines. The agent took our visa and did not even ask for COPR document, though he was on the phone for sometime and took about 10 minutes to check us in, but no issues. Traveled with spouse.

On landing we had to fill out a couple of forms about Covid, one for symptoms and declaration and one for details about where we will be staying and isolating. The forms also ask for detailed contact information, phone number email, address etc.

CBSA officer asked us for detailed plans about isolation, including how we plan to get groceries, we had all proof (bookings, statement from AirBnB host etc) but they took our word for it which was nice :). For groceries our AirBnB host delivered the first batch (which we told the officer and they seemed to accept that) and placed them in the house, for the rest of the days we ordered using online ordering. We used a site called inabuggy it was expensive ($20 delivery fee) but very fast, same day delivery.

The actual landing part is done by a different immigration agent, they asked all the usual questions about proof of funds, what are your plans etc. They also double checked our self isolation plans and asked about how we will go to the AirBnB, we said Uber, they said that is fine as long as you don't stop anywhere and wear a mask. Overall very friendly and smooth PR process, they said now you are officially PR and signed the COPR, said PR card will take 1-3 months, if it takes longer raise a webform but its probably because of Covid19 :( . The officer was very friendly and even accepted my cousins address to mail the PR card :). She asked us if we are "running away from Trump" :D and said that current US immigration policy has been a gift to Canada :)

Finally at the airport we got our goods to follow stamped, this took the longest about 30 minutes, but eventually worked out.

Took an Uber to the AirBnB, Toronto airport was nearly empty.

We had carried dried food : rice, daal, spices, salt, sugar, tea etc. No fruits or vegetables, I think at some point CBSA asked us if we are carrying fruits but that's it. We were quite comfortable with online delivery + our packed items.

We spent 14 days locked up inside our AirBnB, ordered groceries and takeout, it was tiresome to be indoors but overall not too bad.
Our self isolation period was smooth except that I missed a call (my phone was turned off and it was 830AM on a Saturday :( ) from the Canadian health authorities, all it said was:

"Sorry to miss you, we will call you back"

It seems this was part of their effort to track self isolation and if you are following the guidelines, no one called me back and to the best of my knowledge no one came at my door either, so I am a little nervous about that but I would recommend that everyone traveling keep a phone on loud and near them at all times :D .. because 99% someone will call you and you don't want the stress of missing their call!

When we originally traveled we booked a 1-way flight, and had planned to spend 2 weeks after isolation with my cousin and potentially look for jobs for my spouse, but rumors/reports started to circle about new H1B restrictions in the US so after 16 days we returned to US. I used AVR it was smooth but took a long time (total 2 hours at the airport even though it was fully empty).

Returning again Toronto airport was empty, we could not find a direct flight so had a connection the flight within the US was 100% full :( .. the flight from Toronto to US was ~20% full, and the US airport seemed to be at 70% capacity!

I won't feel comfortable until I have the PR card (current wait time is ~115 days :( ) in hand, but happy to finish the landing process even though we had to return sooner than we wanted.

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Thank you for your detailed post. We have been looking for people who have recently landed in Canada to get an idea of what to expect during this time. This post is very helpful in planning our move.

vikas.trades25

Jan 8, 2019
Has anyone travelled to Canada for CoPR landing from USA (on H-1b VISA) and came back without any issues at port of entry (given the uncertainty related to H-1b executive orders given by US president).

considering this, I had raised a webform saying that I would like to come at a later date than my CoPR date (Though I could travel now), I would like to travel after few months. This is the reply I received from them on email, (there was no mention of any extension date or any other thing). Is this the usual response. Should I travel now or raise another form to ask queries related to how the process would work after expiry of CoPR date:

"We have received your request to extend the duration within which you can confirm your status as a permanent resident. Please be assured that your application will not be refused if you are unable or unwilling to travel as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If the situation is resolved and you are able to travel within the existing validity of your documents, you may do so. Otherwise, once you are able to travel, please notify us through the IRCC Web form. At that time, IRCC will respond with the most up to date information we have on next steps."

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
I see that they have extended the travel ban for another month to June 21. Is CoPR landing considered essential, My CoPR date expires on june 15.
Is it possible to fly to Canada (as I see flights are running) and do the CoPR formalities without any issue. i want to know if there is risk involved while coming back to US at port of entry on a H-1b visa.
I have received an email, which mentions to raise a webform if you are not able to travel before your CoPR date. Do I need to share any official link stating the extended travel ban when submitting this form
Did you find out the answer? I’m not sure if COPR landing for settling down in Canada from USA is considered essential or not either.

kruhiputar

Mar 22, 2018
The actual landing part is done by a different immigration agent, they asked all the usual questions about proof of funds, what are your plans etc.
Hi! Thank you for all the details on your landing experience. Congratulations.

Though it's been a while since then, I was wondering if you (or anybody who have gone through the landing recently / in these precarious conditions) could confirm something for me regarding the proof of funds -
you mention they asked about it, so does it mean you had to present them a new bank statement/ confirmation of the funds plus the last 6-months bill statements? Or were they asking for the original statements (the ones you've uploaded when applying for PR)? If you were with your family, and each member had a different processing agent, did everyone made a copy of those bank statements/ copies of other documents so they wouldn't have problems in presenting the info?

I wonder should I make a copy of everything I have (one for me and one for my partner), or is that just excessive/ me worrying for no reason?
Thank you.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi! Thank you for all the details on your landing experience. Congratulations.

Though it's been a while since then, I was wondering if you (or anybody who have gone through the landing recently / in these precarious conditions) could confirm something for me regarding the proof of funds -
you mention they asked about it, so does it mean you had to present them a new bank statement/ confirmation of the funds plus the last 6-months bill statements? Or were they asking for the original statements (the ones you've uploaded when applying for PR)? If you were with your family, and each member had a different processing agent, did everyone made a copy of those bank statements/ copies of other documents so they wouldn't have problems in presenting the info?

I wonder should I make a copy of everything I have (one for me and one for my partner), or is that just excessive/ me worrying for no reason?
Thank you.
They asked us if you are together/family and process families together, at least that's what I saw when we landed.
The agent asked us do you have funds and how much, we said yes and mentioned the amount, but they didn't ask for proof. I had carried an updated version of the same proof I had submitted with my application (since it had been almost a year and that proof was now old) but they were satisfied with our answer so didn't ask for the proof.

kruhiputar

Mar 22, 2018
I had carried an updated version of the same proof I had submitted with my application (since it had been almost a year and that proof was now old) but they were satisfied with our answer so didn't ask for the proof.
Thank you answering so fast!
I though of doing the same without the 6-months statements (seemed a bit excessive), we'll just prepare the updated version of the original pof (our's is also over a year old).
We are planing to do a soft-landing with 14 day quarantine in July, and then return home for a while so we could finish up the things that were postponed due to covid-19.
I'm stressing as we wanted to move permanently without going back-and-forth (not only is it stressful in regard to the procedure itself, but we really do not wish to put ourselves or others at health risk while traveling), so thanks for the feedback, ryeChatcher.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

eris

Jun 29, 2019
Philippines
They asked us if you are together/family and process families together, at least that's what I saw when we landed.
The agent asked us do you have funds and how much, we said yes and mentioned the amount, but they didn't ask for proof. I had carried an updated version of the same proof I had submitted with my application (since it had been almost a year and that proof was now old) but they were satisfied with our answer so didn't ask for the proof.
Hi, if I am carrying cash, will I still need to provide proof of funds? Hoping to land soon as well. Thank you!

kruhiputar

Mar 22, 2018
One more question for everybody - how did you handle the temporary insurance thing?
I know it is mandatory to get a health / travel insurance when you're obtaining a work permit/ visa, but in case of PR would a regular health / travel insurance be ok? The landing is meant to be realized at Toronto airport, ON.

Merci!

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
One more question for everybody - how did you handle the temporary insurance thing?
I know it is mandatory to get a health / travel insurance when you're obtaining a work permit/ visa, but in case of PR would a regular health / travel insurance be ok? The landing is meant to be realized at Toronto airport, ON.

Merci!
I didn't get any temporary insurance and I wasn't asked either. Not sure if its mandatory?
My existing health insurance covers international emergency situations so that was going to be my backup plan, wasn't needed luckily :D

Reactions: kruhiputar

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi, if I am carrying cash, will I still need to provide proof of funds? Hoping to land soon as well. Thank you!
I don't think its a good idea to carry that large an amount in cash.
Also if you are carrying more than 10K CAD (I think) you need to declare that in customs, which would require some additional processing potentially. Though I am not an expert in these matters..

Reactions: eris

kaur1990

Jun 12, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I have one question:
My COPR and Canada Visa is only till June 18, if I go next weekend, I will have only 4 days left validity of Canada Visa, Can I still stay in Canada for 14 days quarantine even though my Canada PR card has not arrived and Canada Visa also expired and come back to US on 15 day?

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
@kaur1990
The following information is based on my understanding:
As soon as you land in Canada with a valid COPR and the immigration officer processes you, you will become a Canadian PR. At that point you do not need visa or PR card to stay in Canada.
In any case, visa is only entry document and once you are in the country, your status is not governed by visa alone.
Similarly PR card does not have any bearing on your PR status (you may have a PR card but may be out of status due to missing residency obligations, or you may not have a PR card but still be a PR).

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
@kaur1990
As soon as you land in Canada with a valid COPR and the immigration officer processes you, you will become a Canadian PR. At that point you do not need visa or PR card to stay in Canada.
In any case, visa is only entry document and once you are in the country, your status is not governed by visa alone.
Similarly PR card does not have any bearing on your PR status (you may have a PR card but may be out of status due to missing residency obligations, or you may not have a PR card but still be a PR).
This is my understanding as well

Reactions: kaur1990

kaur1990

Jun 12, 2019
@kaur1990
Thanks for your reply.
Some questions, For travelling back to US From Canada do we need any other documents other than below if my US H1-B Visa has already been expired?
1) I can come back to US on AVR?
2) Approved Valid I-797 with future date validity.
2) I-94 with future date validity.
3) Do we need client letter or letter from employer?