+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing Experience and returning with AVR

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
1. Yes
2. UPS mailbox no issues
3. No. I used my own but they asked me if I am moving today. I said no. Then they told me no need for goods form. It can be done latet
Wow thanks thats very different that what I'd expect am surprised they were ok with the UPS mailbox and mailing the PR card.
I thought they refuse that, and wait was the UPS mailbox address in Canada or the US?

rohit586v

Feb 20, 2019
Wow thanks thats very different that what I'd expect am surprised they were ok with the UPS mailbox and mailing the PR card.
I thought they refuse that, and wait was the UPS mailbox address in Canada or the US?
Yea I was suprised they didn't goods import form. Dunno if I will have to pay duties later. It's ok. Happy to get landing over with.

Mailbox is in Canada

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Hi all, I was planning to do soft landing on March 23rd and then return to US after a week. But due to the current virus spread and issues I'm rethinking on it. Was there any screening while entering Canada and returning to US? Any suggestions?

rohit586v

Feb 20, 2019
Hi all, I was planning to do soft landing on March 23rd and then return to US after a week. But due to the current virus spread and issues I'm rethinking on it. Was there any screening while entering Canada and returning to US? Any suggestions?
Canada side They asked if you have fever and if you have traveled outside last two weeks.

No screaning on us side while returning.

I did landing today

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
I was now thinking of doing a border crossing on this Tuesday. Can someone tell me what all customs form is required to be filled. I might import some things while soft landing and then the rest will be things to follow. Does these things should be filled in the forms or excel would do? Also, I have another question, on what documents should be taken with you? All originals submitted for the application? In my case, I'm the primary applicant and dependent is my husband. But he isn't in US and our marriage certificate is with him. Would a copy of the certificate be enough for me? I hope there would be no issues in coming back to US due to the virus issue. I'm on my F1 visa in the US.

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Canada side They asked if you have fever and if you have traveled outside last two weeks.

No screaning on us side while returning.

I did landing today
Did someone in US Side ask you why did you travel to Canada? Also, was your province mentioned on the COPR, ontario? They ask what is your place of settlement right? Mine is Edmonton, Alberta on the COPR but it is not a PNP Application though.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
I have filled out everything in an excel sheet. I have further divided my excel sheet into categories (one in each tab), like Furninture&HomeDecor, Clothes & Accessory, Electronic Items, etc. Basically, I have kept my BSF186 and BSF186a forms empty, with a statement like "My goods to follow is listed in the attached excel sheet".

Additionally, I have heard from some people that if you are returning the same day, you dont really need BSF186 since you wont be importing anything on that day itself. All your items can be listed in BSF186a (goods to follow).

Thank you,
Ajeya Gupta
Hey! How did your landing go?
Was excel sheets for the Good to follow form ok?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
I did not actually import those. Since I was doing soft landing only, the cars were in my goods to follow list. You don't have to pay duty on items listed in your current/future list. I don't know about the minimum period of owning.
@lampbreaker did you provide any more information for your cards on the Goods to follow form besides make, model year, vin number and estimated value? Did you need proof of registration/purchase etc or is that for when you actually import the cars?

And related to cars, did you leave the "conveyances" section on the "Goods Accompanying" form empty? Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions, its really helpful!

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hi All,

I did my 'soft landing' yesterday morning (14th March 2020). Here is my experience / points to note.
--> Goods to follow list: I carried a detailed goods to follow list with me. I had separate list in tabular form for Electronics, Furniture & Home Decor, Kitchen Items, Jewelry and Gardening Items. Note that I took photographs of all the jewelry items as well. The officer stamped all these documents and gave one copy to me, and kept one copy for herself. She mentioned that I'll have to pay import tax on any additional item that I bring that is not listed in these tables. I was not planning to import any thing yesterday, and hence, my 'Goods accompany' form was empty, with a tick mark on 'Goods to follow' option.
--> Mailing address: I gave my family friends' mailing address who lives in Toronto. There were no issues as such. The officer said that I should get the PR cards in 4-8 weeks
--> Virus Screening: There were no screening on either USA side or Canada side. The border crossing was hassle free
--> SIN Card: Note that there are multiple Service Centers in Windsor (3 of them), out of which 2 are open on Saturday as well. But, unfortunately these two service centers do not process SIN applications. The only center that does this is the one at 400 City Hall Square E #103, Windsor, ON N9A 7K6, Canada
--> Documents Required: I carried proof funds, BSF186/BSF186a, my medical testing reports (from my initial application), biometrics proof (done at USCIS), photographs (again from my original application). None of these were required except BSF forms.

The bottom line is my PR procedure went pretty well. Maybe, one of the reasons is I went very early on Saturday morning, where there we almost no people at Canada's Immigration office. Hope this helps. Feel free to shoot any questions if you have.

Thank you community for your help through out this application process

-Ajeya Gupta

Reactions: ryeCatcher

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
@lampbreaker did you provide any more information for your cards on the Goods to follow form besides make, model year, vin number and estimated value? Did you need proof of registration/purchase etc or is that for when you actually import the cars?

And related to cars, did you leave the "conveyances" section on the "Goods Accompanying" form empty? Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions, its really helpful!
Makde, model, year, VIN is sufficient. Plain paper is fine, no need to fill the BSF form. If you are not importing the car right now, don't include it in the accompanying list.

mehnaz786786

Jan 6, 2013
Good Morning, Anyone traveling this week via Detroit? I am planning to travel this Wednesday, with COVID-19 things are changing on a quick pace. It will be great if someone can share experience during this week. Thanks for all the information been very helpful.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Good Morning, Anyone traveling this week via Detroit? I am planning to travel this Wednesday, with COVID-19 things are changing on a quick pace. It will be great if someone can share experience during this week. Thanks for all the information been very helpful.
I did my soft landing this Saturday (14th March 2020). There were no screening while entering Canada or USA. The process was hassle free.

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
I did my soft landing this Saturday (14th March 2020). There were no screening while entering Canada or USA. The process was hassle free.
I know Canada is now asking some additional questions based on travel history and health. How about at USA side?

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
I know Canada is now asking some additional questions based on travel history and health. How about at USA side?
Neither Canadian immigration side, not the USA immigration side asked me any questions related to my past travel history. Not sure if things have changed in last couple of days.

In any case, you can always download your US travel history from CBP website, and present that document as evidence of your past travel history and the fact that you haven't been to badly effected country.

Thank you,
Ajeya Gupta