+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing Experience and returning with AVR

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
1. I would answer it clearly as returning tonight. The only issue is that they may not include address in the PR card application. The landing itself will be completed and you will become PR.
2. You can update the address over phone. PRTD is required only for traveling to Canada on a commercial carrier (flight). For crossing at US land border in a private car, you don't need PR card or PRTD.
3. Tell them that you are not importing anything at this time and no BSF form is needed.

I will not advise anything but a clear, true response.
Okay, very well. Thank you for your reply. Please let us know your experience after tonight.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
I am not traveling tonight. I just mentioned how I would answer if I was in your situation. My own experience is in the very first post on this thread.
Ooops, sorry about that.

As you suggested, I'll just say that "I'll be returning back to USA tonight."

If I update my Canadian mailing address later over phone, will they send my PR card to that address? Or they will give me my physical PR card only when I permanently move to Canada in future? If that's the case, then I need to apply for PRTD for me to be able to enter Canada, right?

Thank you,
Ajeya Gupta

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Ooops, sorry about that.

As you suggested, I'll just say that "I'll be returning back to USA tonight."

If I update my Canadian mailing address later over phone, will they send my PR card to that address? Or they will give me my physical PR card only when I permanently move to Canada in future? If that's the case, then I need to apply for PRTD for me to be able to enter Canada, right?

Thank you,
Ajeya Gupta
Already answered the PRTD question. If they accept the address over the phone, then they will send the card over there.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
when doing soft landing by land, can we return the same day?
Don't think there's a rule against that.
Technically you can turn right around after finishing the landing formalities at the land border. Though not sure if anyone has actually done something that extreme. We are planning on a "soft landing" at Windsor next weekend (unless the Covid19 situation changes drastically for the worse) and intend to return the same day.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
when doing soft landing by land, can we return the same day?
I am planning to do this tomorrow (though, we wont return right away). We are planning to cross the border tomorrow morning, meet our friends, and then return in 2-3 hours. I will update this forum tomorrow, once I complete the landing formalities.

rohit586v

Feb 20, 2019
I am planning to do this tomorrow (though, we wont return right away). We are planning to cross the border tomorrow morning, meet our friends, and then return in 2-3 hours. I will update this forum tomorrow, once I complete the landing formalities.
Thank you. I am planning to do the same via Detroit Windsor tomorrow.

One more question if you don't mind -
How are you filling the current goods and goods to follow form? is it just an excel printout or is there a standard form?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Yes please update, would be very useful!

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Thank you. I am planning to do the same via Detroit Windsor tomorrow.

One more question if you don't mind -
How are you filling the current goods and goods to follow form? is it just an excel printout or is there a standard form?
I have filled out everything in an excel sheet. I have further divided my excel sheet into categories (one in each tab), like Furninture&HomeDecor, Clothes & Accessory, Electronic Items, etc. Basically, I have kept my BSF186 and BSF186a forms empty, with a statement like "My goods to follow is listed in the attached excel sheet".

Additionally, I have heard from some people that if you are returning the same day, you dont really need BSF186 since you wont be importing anything on that day itself. All your items can be listed in BSF186a (goods to follow).

Thank you,
Ajeya Gupta

Reactions: rohit586v

rohit586v

Feb 20, 2019
I have filled out everything in an excel sheet. I have further divided my excel sheet into categories (one in each tab), like Furninture&HomeDecor, Clothes & Accessory, Electronic Items, etc. Basically, I have kept my BSF186 and BSF186a forms empty, with a statement like "My goods to follow is listed in the attached excel sheet".

Additionally, I have heard from some people that if you are returning the same day, you dont really need BSF186 since you wont be importing anything on that day itself. All your items can be listed in BSF186a (goods to follow).

Thank you,
Ajeya Gupta
Thank you Ajeya and good luck on the landing this weekend.

I am a little nervous to go coz of Covid19 but hopefully no issues

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
All, I completed soft landing yesterday via road at Detroit Windsor tunnel. Any questions, feel free to ask
1. Did you come back the same day?
2. Who's address did you use? And was the officer ok with mailing your PR cards, did they ask you anything about how long are you staying etc.
3. Did you happen to use a rental car? Any special paper work needed in that case.

rohit586v

Feb 20, 2019
1. Did you come back the same day?
2. Who's address did you use? And was the officer ok with mailing your PR cards, did they ask you anything about how long are you staying etc.
3. Did you happen to use a rental car? Any special paper work needed in that case.
1. Yes
2. UPS mailbox no issues
3. No. I used my own but they asked me if I am moving today. I said no. Then they told me no need for goods form. It can be done latet