+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SINP Confusion - Computer Science Engineer Allowed?

dacoffee

Star Member
Jan 2, 2018
Hi,

I saw a ray of hope when I learnt SINP allows Computer Programmers (NOC Code - 2174). In the description of in-demand lists, it is mentioned:

"Computer Science engineering programs will not be considered."

Check this link for reference - https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/applicants-international-skilled-workers/sinp-in-demand-occupation-list

But, when I search the NOC database for 2174, it doesn't exclude engineering programs. It just says, "A bachelor's degree in computer science or in another discipline with a significant programming component or completion of a college program in computer science is usually required".

My B.Tech is in Computer Science and Engineering (4 years program) and I am currently a software developer (although by designation I am "Assistant Project Manager" as I have spent over 10 years in this industry).

So, am I eligible under SINP? The statement - "Computer Science engineering programs will not be considered." in throwing me off and I am very confused.

Thanks!

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto
Hi,

I saw a ray of hope when I learnt SINP allows Computer Programmers (NOC Code - 2174). In the description of in-demand lists, it is mentioned:

Check this link for reference - https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/applicants-international-skilled-workers/sinp-in-demand-occupation-list

But, when I search the NOC database for 2174, it doesn't exclude engineering programs. It just says, "A bachelor's degree in computer science or in another discipline with a significant programming component or completion of a college program in computer science is usually required".

My B.Tech is in Computer Science and Engineering (4 years program) and I am currently a software developer (although by designation I am "Assistant Project Manager" as I have spent over 10 years in this industry).

So, am I eligible under SINP? The statement - "Computer Science engineering programs will not be considered." in throwing me off and I am very confused.

Thanks!

You should be able to do it. AITP will go over course by course evaluation before giving you a professional designation.

HKCAN

Sep 30, 2016
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
You should be able to do it. AITP will go over course by course evaluation before giving you a professional designation.
What should we select for WES upgrade for course to course, should it computer science and technology related field or engineering, my bachelor degree is of computer science and engineering

Rashidali

Star Member
Oct 3, 2018
I have my 4 years degree in computer Science but my experience is in Software quality assurance engineer. Can i apply ?

Bharath9788

Star Member
Sep 29, 2018
Am too very worried about this. They have specifically mentioned computer science engineering programs are not allowed. How can we be sure about this? Whom can we check about this?

jiyaniravi

May 4, 2019
Same here, in great confusion.

I have applied for NOC 2174 and I have Computer Engineering degree [Not Computer Science Degree, I searched on the internet and come to know that there is subtle difference between computer science and computer engineering ], Not sure if I am eligible for NOC-2174 or not as per below link.

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/applicants-international-skilled-workers/sinp-in-demand-occupation-list

I have 5+ years of experience in computer programming/development though.

Last edited:

mohit2018

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Same here, in great confusion.

I have applied for NOC 2173 and I have Computer Engineering degree [Not Computer Science Degree, I searched on the internet and come to know that there is subtle difference between computer science and computer engineering ], Not sure if I am eligible for NOC-2173 or not as per below link.

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/applicants-international-skilled-workers/sinp-in-demand-occupation-list

I have 5+ years of experience in computer programming/development though.
Hi Guys,
I assume you guys are referring to the NOC code 2174 in the occupation-in-demand list. What I dont get is, why there is a confusion when your(even mine too) code is 2173 and the one in demand is 2174? Moreover, do you guys have the license which has been mentioned in the official info as part of the eligibility?
Let me know if I am missing anything here.
Thanks.

Reactions: MadmaxR

jiyaniravi

May 4, 2019
Hi Guys,
I assume you guys are referring to the NOC code 2174 in the occupation-in-demand list. What I dont get is, why there is a confusion when your(even mine too) code is 2173 and the one in demand is 2174? Moreover, do you guys have the license which has been mentioned in the official info as part of the eligibility?
Let me know if I am missing anything here.
Thanks.
Hi Mohit,

That is correct. I have updated my comment. Its NOC-2174 and not the NOC-2173 for me. Thanks. Maybe in hurry burry, I spoiled the curry :)
About licence, I applied for CIPS, but I also came to know that they ask for some other proofs as well after membership of ISP. Not sure :(

mohit2018

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Hi Mohit,

That is correct. I have updated my comment. Its NOC-2174 and not the NOC-2173 for me. Thanks. Maybe in hurry burry, I spoiled the curry :)
About licence, I applied for CIPS, but I also came to know that they ask for some other proofs as well after membership of ISP. Not sure :(
Haha ok. May I know how could one obtain license from Saskatchewan? What needs to be done and how?
PS: for noc 2173

AdilHK

Jul 11, 2018
Hi,

Thanks!
I am in the same boat as yours...did you get any clarification yet ?

Thanks.

dacoffee

Star Member
Jan 2, 2018
The requirement does state very clearly "Computer Science engineering programs will not be considered". I don't think they are looking for engineers per se otherwise they wouldn't have explicitly mentioned it.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can apply for this being CSE engineer. But, I am yet to get a response from someone who managed PNP with CSE background. Still waiting for people to confirm.