+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Singaporean applicants under FSW

maoist

Jul 18, 2009
your question is too general and based on the assumption that people from countries like Singapore, India, Malaysia, Vietnam and Burma prefer warmer climate. some people from the tropics, like myself, prefer cold to hot.

jnathan said:
media and tran

what are the best places in terms of weather for People moving to Canada from countries like Singapore, India, Malaysia, Vietnam, Burma.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
maoist

Cold in Canada and in those typa countries are not the kind of you have ever felt before.
Temperature in Canada falls below 15 deg C during summer months after 12am. In the morning its sheer cold, temperature though rises up to 28-30C at the day approaches to its end. may not be for the native Canadians, but for the people who grew up in those countries like I said in my previous post.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Jnathan.

It is pretty biased to say that most asians do not like the cold or weather in colder places like calgary or SK. I used to live in warmer temperatures in SG and when i went to Uni in UC in Calgary, i actually liked the cold and got quite used to the cold and the minus 40 or the extreme swings in temperatures from the night to mornings to noon and then night again. So whether one likes the cold or not is a very subjective matter and whether one likes the cold or not is another. So its just a matter of one willing to adapt to the weather and whether one likes such cold. Everybody is different and its all a matter of preference and also depending on how deep yr pockets is.

Calgary may seem cold at times, especially in winter but it does get some warmer days from the Chinook. So its not that bad. Anyhow, it may be minus 40 outside, its still warm and cozy at home with the indoor heaters on.

I am currently living in Shanghai, and i can tell u, the temperature swings here are as wild or worst than calgary but summer can freaking hot with close to 40 degrees and winter gets to zero but the zero is colder than Calgary's minus 20 to 40 cause of the chilling and humid cold with no proper heating indoors in Shanghai. So calgary's cold is not that bad after all and with the excellent heating indoors. So as for myself, i would prefer the cold than the heat all year round.

There are also plenty of asians or people who have lived all the lifes in asia or tropical heat area and cant stand the heat and would be relieved to be in the cold instead of the heat! So, where u choose is dependent on yr individual preference and of course, yr pockets.

Anyway, those of u whom have not experienced such extreme temperatures, u should give it a try first before settling down in such places and some of u may like it after all. So have a try before u actually move there for good!

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Cold weather doesn't bother me. I lived in Michigan for 10 years where the weather would get to -40C. I've never turned on the heat when indoors. In fact anything above 15 degrees is too hot for me and I still wear shorts when it's 0 degrees out. I'm an avid skiier and the colder and snowier the better. I hate the heat and I hate sweating. If it gets too cold you can always put on more clothes, but if it gets too hot there's only that many clothes you can take off.

If you are looking for "warmer" temperatures, Vancouver and anywhere along coastal BC is the place to go. It isn't exactly warm, but it is very rainy and you will experience very little snow every year, probably 2-4 weeks of snow. It can still dip to -10C to -20C during the winter in Vancouver, but it won't last for very long. The Toronto-Windsor corridor is also quite temperate because it is the southernmost part of canada, but you will see more snow, longer winters, and slightly colder temperatures (up to -15C to -25C) compared to Vancouver due to the lake effect. It is still a lot better compared to those provinces like Alberta and Quebec which are very far inland and face very high temperature extremes. There's a reason why most people choose to settle in Vancouver and Toronto, they're afraid of cold temperatures and those cities are as warm as you get. P.E.I. also has very similar temperatures to Vancouver, but not many people want to move there because it is a small province and small towns.

maoist

Jul 18, 2009
thanks jnathan for the info.

i was in toronto and vancouver in Dec 2008 (vancouver was actually colder than toronto in december that year!). not really the coldest month of the year, but it was cold enough (below zero celsius in the night and early morning). i would say i could put up with the cold, not that i enjoyed it. but i would rather have minus zero than greater than 34 celsius. and i was born and grew up in the equator in S.E. Asia.

when it is very cold, you just cover yourself up and stay indoors most of the time, and you don't feel the same discomfort as when it is very hot. but people who are very active and into sports would probably prefer hot to cold.

jnathan said:
maoist

Cold in Canada and in those typa countries are not the kind of you have ever felt before.
Temperature in Canada falls below 15 deg C during summer months after 12am. In the morning its sheer cold, temperature though rises up to 28-30C at the day approaches to its end. may not be for the native Canadians, but for the people who grew up in those countries like I said in my previous post.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
maoist

I am active indeed, Like to play some outdoor games.
There is no respite from cold in Canada. Actually, people just get used to it with time.

Thanks media and abel for shedding your experiences.

edidigit

Star Member
Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2010
AOR Received.
27-1-2011
IELTS Request
send all together
File Transfer...
23-09-2010
Hello All,

I have a good question regarding the police certificate or PCC ?

I went to the Police CNCC Office today and they asked me to present a letter from the Canadian visa office asking for this letter from Police authority.
Therefore, I want to know how I can proceed and get this kind of letter from the Canadian visa office in Singapore while I need this to send my application to CIO!

Thank you.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
edidigit said:
Hello All,

I have a good question regarding the police certificate or PCC ?

I went to the Police CNCC Office today and they asked me to present a letter from the Canadian visa office asking for this letter from Police authority.
Therefore, I want to know how I can proceed and get this kind of letter from the Canadian visa office in Singapore while I need this to send my application to CIO!

Thank you.
Do you have anything with the Canadian High Commission letterhead saying that they require the PCC? If so make a copy of that and send it in with your PCC application.

If you do not have that contact the CHC and ask them to send you one letting them know that you require a letter to your PCC.

Are you applying under the old FSW (applications sent in before June 26) or the new scheme (after June 26th). If it is under the new scheme, the police department at Cantoment complex may not be updated on the fact that the CHC now requires you to send ALL documents in at once. If you are applying under the old scheme, you might just have to wait for the CHC to send you the request for full documents (assuming you applied using the short-form application form). That's what I did, I highlighted the section that requested me to get a PCC and they created one for me.

Best to go in person and bring in all your documents including the originals. The PCC will take 2 weeks to process and you can go collect it in person. You must go before 12 noon though because they are not opened in the afternoons. If you go in person you are also required to pay in cash, and they do not provide change, so make sure you bring exact change (not sure if they've changed it since last year).

edidigit

Star Member
Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2010
AOR Received.
27-1-2011
IELTS Request
send all together
File Transfer...
23-09-2010
mediajunkie said:
Do you have anything with the Canadian High Commission letterhead saying that they require the PCC? If so make a copy of that and send it in with your PCC application.

If you do not have that contact the CHC and ask them to send you one letting them know that you require a letter to your PCC.

Are you applying under the old FSW (applications sent in before June 26) or the new scheme (after June 26th). If it is under the new scheme, the police department at Cantoment complex may not be updated on the fact that the CHC now requires you to send ALL documents in at once. If you are applying under the old scheme, you might just have to wait for the CHC to send you the request for full documents (assuming you applied using the short-form application form). That's what I did, I highlighted the section that requested me to get a PCC and they created one for me.

Best to go in person and bring in all your documents including the originals. The PCC will take 2 weeks to process and you can go collect it in person. You must go before 12 noon though because they are not opened in the afternoons. If you go in person you are also required to pay in cash, and they do not provide change, so make sure you bring exact change (not sure if they've changed it since last year).
Thank you for your answer. That is exactly what I am asking.with new FSW scheme we have to send all the documents at once! So How I can get the POC without having the letter from CHC while in the new scheme we have to send our documents to CIO not CHC anymore!? I sent CHC email and here is the answer which is confusing again !!!

"Please note that the request to obtain a police certificate from the police authorities in Singapore must be initiated by the visa office processing your application as a file number is required.

A file can only be created on receipt of a complete application. The visa office concerned will send the request to you, after the review of your application.

Please submit your application prior to obtaining the above police certificate."

R

rajeev107

@ edidigit

This is what the same e-mail, i also got.BUT I plan to submit PCC with CIO.the SG police dept asking visa checklist as a proof.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Hi Tran

just landed in calgary from Vancouver yesterday. Just a caution on the time for yr flight schedule if u r flying from anywhere to Vancouver and then to Calgary or anywhere else. Since Vancouver is yr first point of entry for new immigrants, please allow enough time for yr family to process the landing procedures. I was there at Van airport yesterday and waited for close to 3 hrs for my turn to be processed for initial landing and i missed my scheduled flight to Calgary. So, Tran, do allow enough time for this and when u book yr flight, make sure u have sufficient time for the next flight out of Van. The queue was really long since Van is a popular entry point for most flights from asia, other than Toronto.

tran

May 10, 2009
abelkwh said:
Hi Tran

just landed in calgary from Vancouver yesterday. Just a caution on the time for yr flight schedule if u r flying from anywhere to Vancouver and then to Calgary or anywhere else. Since Vancouver is yr first point of entry for new immigrants, please allow enough time for yr family to process the landing procedures. I was there at Van airport yesterday and waited for close to 3 hrs for my turn to be processed for initial landing and i missed my scheduled flight to Calgary. So, Tran, do allow enough time for this and when u book yr flight, make sure u have sufficient time for the next flight out of Van. The queue was really long since Van is a popular entry point for most flights from asia, other than Toronto.
Hi Abelkwh,

thanks for the warning about Vanouver Airport. Sorry to hear about your missed scheduled flight to Calgary. Do you need to pay for your flight to Calgary?You waited 3 hours in the queue! That was an incredibly long wait. Did it take a long time to do the actual landing procedure for immigration and customs? Did the customs ask for your "Goods to accompany" & "Goods to follow" forms, and check your luggages thoroughly? Did the immigration ask for proof of fund and address for your PR card?

We will stay 2 nights in Vancouver, take in the sights, then proceed to Calgary.

edidigit

Star Member
Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2010
AOR Received.
27-1-2011
IELTS Request
send all together
File Transfer...
23-09-2010
rajeev107 said:
@ edidigit

This is what the same e-mail, i also got.BUT I plan to submit PCC with CIO.the SG police dept asking visa checklist as a proof.
@rajeev107

when did u do this ? So Police authority in Singapore accept the Visa checklist to give u the PCC ? Would you please tell me what you told them and which form or checklist you showed them ?

edidigit

Star Member
Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2010
AOR Received.
27-1-2011
IELTS Request
send all together
File Transfer...
23-09-2010
edidigit said:
@ rajeev107

when did u do this ? So Police authority in Singapore accept the Visa checklist to give u the PCC ? Would you please tell me what you told them and which form or checklist you showed them ?
@ rajeev107

I just check again the website of Police in Singapore they explicitly mention that the application requirements is not acceptable ? how did u manage to solve this issue ? I really appreciate your help since I don't have time I have to submit PCC this week.

Documentary proof from the immigration authority requiring the certificate. (A print out of the application requirements is not acceptable.)