+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sign petition: New citizenship rules affecting foreign workers

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some latest updates:

1. Our group has been asked to testify in front of Citizenship and Immigration Committee during the bill C-24 proceedings. Our representatives are going to give a speech and answer questions of the committee on May, 7 2014.

2. We have contacted over 60 members of parliament from Conservative, NDP and Liberal parties and provided them with our material and research. We have conducted over 20 face-to-face meetings with MPs in the last 2 months to promote awareness of the Bill and its affects.

3. We'd like to reach a 10,000 signatures mark before the CIMM hearings, please help to spread the word and sign people on our petition. One of the ways to promote petition is to pay at Change.Org website for promotion of the petition (pay-per-view). Your help will be much appreciated!

Thanks to everyone who supported us!

varunsabhlok

Jan 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2014
AOR Received.
25-02-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
02-08-2014
Med's Done....
06-08-2014
Signed.... Thanks for all the efforts

Kiranmayi

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
02-02-2015
IELTS Request
Send with Application
Med's Done....
15-12-2015 (upfront)
Passport Req..
29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2016
LANDED..........
16-03-2016
signed.

but my question is will our petition stop the government to make decision? I heard it was already approved in sessions and about to ruled out. What is the latest status of the proposal?

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kiranmayi said:
signed.

but my question is will our petition stop the government to make decision? I heard it was already approved in sessions and about to ruled out. What is the latest status of the proposal?
There are no promises that it will or will not change the bill but there are good indications it might. We are getting support from broad range of MP's from both opposition and ruling parties and seems that also part of immigration committee members support our views, so fingers crossed. The main point right now is the exposure - more signatures, more press coverage - help us by spreading the word.
As another measure of education and exposure, our team member has created a website which summarize our position, materials and etc. Feel free to spread it around: www.preprtimecounts.com

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Wow, great job sashali78 and others. I lost track of this thread for a while but that is some good progress!

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thisisauser said:
Wow, great job sashali78 and others. I lost track of this thread for a while but that is some good progress!
Thank you. So far it looks very promising indeed!

Kiranmayi

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
02-02-2015
IELTS Request
Send with Application
Med's Done....
15-12-2015 (upfront)
Passport Req..
29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2016
LANDED..........
16-03-2016
Really Impressive work sheshali.

Yah.. I will share with all my friends to participate in petition. Hopefully, It will be changed after all these agitation against the rule.

Good luck

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you all!

In preparation for our testimony in front of the committee we need your help to gather some statistical data. Will much appreciate if all those who were on temporary status prior becoming PR would fill in a 2min survey on our group website: http://preprtimecounts.com/2014/05/01/take-our-survey/
Many thanks in advance!

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
sashali78 said:
Thank you all!

In preparation for our testimony in front of the committee we need your help to gather some statistical data. Will much appreciate if all those who were on temporary status prior becoming PR would fill in a 2min survey on our group website: http://preprtimecounts.com/2014/05/01/take-our-survey/
Many thanks in advance!
\
I am filling it out now. I was both an international student and afterwards a temporary worker before getting my PR. Can you update that question to also include both?

boateng

Mar 18, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May5, 2015 (application received)
AOR Received.
AOR1 : June3 2015
IELTS Request
01 Feb 2013
Med's Done....
April 2015
Interview........
hopefully not
Signed!!!

I agree with all the other rules of the bill except for this particular one, been here since 2009 and if this can be changed it would be a great releif. I was reading up and saw the hearing seems to be at May7, 2014?

CECapplicantXX

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CIO-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Filed Recived on 11-07-2013
IELTS Request
Included with App
It seems unfair that we r treated same as ppl who arrived to Canada as landed immigrants :( ... They end up spending less time than us before they become citizens .. While it takes us forever before we are considered part of this country :( ..

In my case I have been living here for 10 years, came here wen I just turned 18, finished school & been working & paying taxes for 5 years and still in the process of obtaining PR ..

conservatives are forgetting that PRs will Become citizens one day & they will be able to vote!! Guess who they will be voting for??!! If they have to implement this bill it should atleast exclude ppl who applied under CEC..

Thanks u guys for all the hard work, we r spreading the word & will try to help as much as possible ..

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
CECapplicantXX said:
It seems unfair that we r treated same as ppl who arrived to Canada as landed immigrants :( ... They end up spending less time than us before they become citizens .. While it takes us forever before we are considered part of this country :( ..
Ummm....they came as permanent residents, while you arrived as a temporary visitor. Why is it unfair? When I visit a country on vacation or for business, I don't expect to receive the same rights and privileges as a citizen of that country.

Under the new rules, you are treated exactly the same as any other PR (including being considered part of this country) from the date you become a PR. That, in my opinion, is the very definition of fair.

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
torontosm said:
Ummm....they came as permanent residents, while you arrived as a temporary visitor. Why is it unfair? When I visit a country on vacation or for business, I don't expect to receive the same rights and privileges as a citizen of that country.

Under the new rules, you are treated exactly the same as any other PR (including being considered part of this country) from the date you become a PR. That, in my opinion, is the very definition of fair.
Some of us did not come as just "visitors". A lot of us here in the CEC category came as workers.

It has now been 6 years since I arrived and I only got my PR a few weeks ago. However, I was not a "visitor" for 6 years. I lived with my spouse and worked and paid taxes every single day I have been here.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Matt the Aussie said:
Some of us did not come as just "visitors". A lot of us here in the CEC category came as workers.

It has now been 6 years since I arrived and I only got my PR a few weeks ago. However, I was not a "visitor" for 6 years. I lived with my spouse and worked and paid taxes every single day I have been here.
Are you saying you came as a TEMPORARY foreign worker? I'm sure you appreciate that most developed countries do not provide foreign workers with any path to residency and citizenship. However, rather than appreciating the opportunity you were provided, you are complaining that you didn't receive the full rights from the first day?

Also, please keep in mind that you came to Canada voluntarily to make a better life for yourself and your family, which is admirable. You did not come as a favor to the government, and your taxes were not charitable contributions or gifts that entitle you to anything other than the benefits you enjoy on a daily basis (i.e., healthcare, schooling, social services, etc.).