Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
They surely are hiding some hidden intents under this proposed Act, i understand that it is important for them to make sure that someone who immigrates here is really coming to live , work, and build. But they are using this as an excuse to strip many people from passports and make it difficult for others to become Canadians, even after they fulfill all requirements

I do not know what kind of proof from permenant residents they want to get convinced that after they get their passport , they will leave!!
Life in Canada is awesome and many of us applied to get PR because they saw how good life here is and want just to keep living here..

I do not know what to say. Let's wait and see what happens in the future..

Priority

Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
05-11-2013
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
5-Feb-2014
Passport Req..
2-Apr-2014
VISA ISSUED...
4-Apr-2014
jsm0085 said:
I didn't defend the act as a whole, I defended the time prior to PR component.

I'm happy to see that someone is actually looking at the more pressing issue with the bill, that is the minister will have the power to revoke citizenship from dual citizens... This is a HUGE issue and gives way for 2 tiers of citizens...
Indeed, the bill gives a lot of powers to the Minister and is quietly opening the door for the end of dual citizenship.

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dont get the argument here. If you agree with this petition - sign it and, if you dont - dont sign it. Its as simple as that. Why is everybody getting so flustered?

I personally think that if you want to penalize people - make it difficult for people to retain their PR. If a person has left Canada a month or 2 after getting their PR and comes back just before its expiry - dont let them and cancel their residency. I know people who have taken their PRs and keep coming here to visit their son/daughter and complete their 2 years. They dont work here, they dont live here and they have no attachments to Canada. Strip them off their PR. People try all funny ways to hang on to their PR - by crossing into canada thro US after having lived only 3-4 months in Canada out of 5 years. Throw them out. How does increasing the time affect these people? They are only interested in hanging on to their PR.

Go to the PR obligations page and you will see ridiculous excuses there as to why people could not complete their PR obligation - take their PRs away. That would be fair AND will remove all these people who do not want to live in this country. Take dual citizenship away.

There are many ways of doing this without discounting legitimate people's stay. Penalize the offenders, not everybody.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

Many thanks to ADMIN who agreed to move the thread back to the Canadian Experience Class forum page so here we are back.
The petition is going forward and we have over 2250 signatures by now. We have also formed a group of volunteers , currently at 25 and more coming every hour, if you wish to sign up for MP or Media contact, please email to FightTheBillC24@outlook.com

And a reminder, we still need more signatures as we want to reach 5000. thanks for your support!
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/canada-parliament-do-not-allow-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014

samransop

Dec 18, 2013
If temporary residents can be allowed to apply for PR under CEC bcoz they studied and worked here in Canada and gained valuable canadian experience (CEC - canadian experience class! pun intended) why can't their stay be counted towards citizenship??? What is the rationale here???

hamad0313

Star Member
Jul 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-07-2012
AOR Received.
17-08-2012
Med's Request
20-08-2013
Med's Done....
30-09-2013
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
19-03-2014
torontosm said:
If that is really true, then I suggest you file a complaint for discrimination. It is not legal for any company to deny you a job simply because you are a PR vs. a citizen, unless of course it is a matter of national security or something similar. Here is a link from OHRC and Clause (i) covers this point:

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/iii-principles-and-concepts/3-grounds-discrimination-definitions-and-scope-protection
then what is this???

2. I am a permanent resident (landed immigrant), waiting to become a Canadian citizen. Can I get a job with the public service?

While the Public Service Employment Act does not exclude non-Canadians from applying to positions in the federal public service, it clearly specifies that preference for appointment is to be given in the following order, among the qualified candidates in a selection process:

Canadian who is in receipt of a pension by reason of war service;
Canadian war veteran or a survivor (widow/widower) of a Canadian war veteran;
Canadian citizen; and
Other qualified individuals.

http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/centres/faq-eng.htm#appeligibility

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
hamad0313 said:
then what is this???
Common sense?

Of course Canadian citizens are to be preferred in the Canadian labour market over foreigners.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
hamad0313 said:
then what is this???

2. I am a permanent resident (landed immigrant), waiting to become a Canadian citizen. Can I get a job with the public service?

While the Public Service Employment Act does not exclude non-Canadians from applying to positions in the federal public service, it clearly specifies that preference for appointment is to be given in the following order, among the qualified candidates in a selection process:
Hmm...you are correct. I apologize, as I was not aware of that. I found this explanation on another site:

The Government of Canada can give preference to Canadian citizens in order to enhance the meaning of citizenship as a unifying symbol for Canadians and to encourage permanent residents to naturalize.

The Government of Saskatchewan does not have a citizenship preference for provincial jobs and merely asks if applicants are legally entitled to work in Canada.

http://www.shrc.gov.sk.ca/pdfs/publications/SHRC_Discrimination%20in%20Employment.pdf

You learn something new every day.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Somebody emailed me today and asked how is that although Canadian Experience Class is the most affected population we got only ~2500 signatures so far?
In 2012 alone the CEC was 10000 MAIN applicants, and in 2011 and 2013 the number is comparable, why don't we get your signatures? You are ALL future victims of the new Bill.
Please sign here if you agree: http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/canada-parliament-do-not-allow-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24
Email for volunteering: FightTheBillC24@outlook.com

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are no victims. This isn't discrimination and Canadians have the right to make pr be here for a reasonable period of time before getting citizenship. The only people who are signing this are those who are ignoring the facts.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jsm0085 said:
There are no victims. This isn't discrimination and Canadians have the right to make pr be here for a reasonable period of time before getting citizenship. The only people who are signing this are those who are ignoring the facts.
Yeah, right. And you obviously haven't read the petition. As well, you probably don't understand that the laws are not made by Canadians but a selected few who try to do the best to win the next elections. And if you really want to hear what Canadians want , read the many comments left by native Canadians on the petition comments.