+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sign petition: Citizenship Act Bill C-24 discrimination

salzafar

Jun 18, 2012
Not even a single amendment passed. What was the point of inviting witnesses or having these committee meetings when the Conservatives are making this bill pass by force (since they're in majority). This speaks volumes that the sitting government does not believe in reasoning.

Extremely disappointed. Yes, this is 'democracy' of a country that is a G-8 member.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
salzafar said:
Not even a single amendment passed. What was the point of inviting witnesses or having these committee meetings when the Conservatives are making this bill pass by force (since they're in majority). This speaks volumes that the sitting government does not believe in reasoning.

Extremely disappointed. Yes, this is 'democracy' of a country that is a G-8 member.
You obviously need to look up the word "democracy" in a dictionary. You keep accusing Canada of not being democratic, when the debates that have been occurring in Parliament are democracy personified. In Canada, we elect representatives to make regulations and laws on our behalf. Just because one such law happens to inconvenience you slightly (while benefiting the country as a whole) doesn't mean the country isn't democratic.

salzafar

Jun 18, 2012
torontosm said:
You obviously need to look up the word "democracy" in a dictionary. You keep accusing Canada of not being democratic, when the debates that have been occurring in Parliament are democracy personified. In Canada, we elect representatives to make regulations and laws on our behalf. Just because one such law happens to inconvenience you slightly (while benefiting the country as a whole) doesn't mean the country isn't democratic.

Firstly, you need to lookup the word Sarcasm. Secondly, you need to hear the CIMM meetings from day one on this issue and then comment. If you think this through with an open mind maybe then you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Agreed the government has the mandate, but they should have been fair in considering reasonable demands of the opposition. There is a reason why a certain petition gathered 26000+,and a second gathered 9000+ signatures. You don't muzzle expert witnesses.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
salzafar said:
Firstly, you need to lookup the word Sarcasm. Secondly, you need to hear the CIMM meetings from day one on this issue and then comment. If you think this through with an open mind maybe then you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Agreed the government has the mandate, but they should have been fair in considering reasonable demands of the opposition. There is a reason why a certain petition gathered 26000+,and a second gathered 9000+ signatures. You don't muzzle expert witnesses.
"Fair"? Why would any government abandon its position to appease the opposition? Did the Liberals ever do that when they had a majority? You need to grow up and realize that life isn't fair and the party that is elected by the people of Canada will govern in the manner that they think is best.

As for the petition, it was primarily signed by those who have a vested interest in the bill being modified solely for their own cases rather than for the benefit of the country.

Finally, there was no sarcasm at all in your message. You should add that word to the list of those you need to look up in the dictionary.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Let's put it this way, is there a democracy in Canada - YES. Is the process legit - YES. Is there a true process of dialogue and consultations - NO. So here is the summary for us all - know who you vote for because that's the only time the democracy rule is being exercised. From that point on is just a strict party rule with narrow interest and party policy.
It was very disappointing to see how the bills are made and passing. the whole committee thing is just a "mockumentary" of a due process.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
During the CIMM hearing, some members agreed that time spent as foreign student or temporary worker should have a value ? Were they senators ? Does this mean it could lead to an amendment at the Senate ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
MasterGeek said:
During the CIMM hearing, some members agreed that time spent as foreign student or temporary worker should have a value ? Were they senators ? Does this mean it could lead to an amendment at the Senate ?
Almost 100% certain that the answer is "no".

salzafar

Jun 18, 2012
torontosm said:
"Fair"? Why would any government abandon its position to appease the opposition? Did the Liberals ever do that when they had a majority? You need to grow up and realize that life isn't fair and the party that is elected by the people of Canada will govern in the manner that they think is best.

As for the petition, it was primarily signed by those who have a vested interest in the bill being modified solely for their own cases rather than for the benefit of the country.

Finally, there was no sarcasm at all in your message. You should add that word to the list of those you need to look up in the dictionary.
I don't think it's worth my time to argue with you on this matter, since obviously you have a biased opinion.
Lastly, instead of asking me to use the dictionary. You may want to take an English lesson were they explain the use of quotation marks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
salzafar said:
Those 35 000 signatures only represent around 0.1% of the population of Canada. The government listened to this 0.1% a lot more than they needed to and a lot more than most Canadians wanted them to. They listened to the expert witnesses.

And then they listened to the other 99.9% of the country that wasn't opposing it.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Those 35 000 signatures only represent around 0.1% of the population of Canada. The government listened to this 0.1% a lot more than they needed to and a lot more than most Canadians wanted them to. They listened to the expert witnesses.

And then they listened to the other 99.9% of the country that wasn't opposing it.
Did 99.9% population voted for Cons? Did Cons actually survey the 99.9% on this? Does the majority of Canadians know anything about Bill C-24? Did you ask your coworkers and your neighbors?

Don't spill out a random number just like Mr. Alexander.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:

Apparently YOU are the one who didn't listen to the expert witnesses during the committee hearings. If you did, for example, you would see that 100% of EXPERT witnesses (including those of conservatives parties) agreed that the amendment regarding pre-PR time should be cancelled. But no worries, mate, you are a good match to your current government - they didn't listen to them either.
Also, may I bring to your attention, that it is always the case when 0.1% minority being bullied by 99.9% majority and that's the strength of democratic regime to give voice and consideration to all those minorities and make sure no one is being treated unfairly? But I guess that is another part which you missed since it is not in the Mein Kampf democracy manual you were reading...
On our part, I can assure you that the same thousands of signatures will not be in vain. Although WE all cannot vote in the next elections, we can sure volunteer during the elections and do all we can to prevent Harper's bunch re-election.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sashali78 said:
Apparently YOU are the one who didn't listen to the expert witnesses during the committee hearings. If you did, for example, you would see that 100% of EXPERT witnesses (including those of conservatives parties) agreed that the amendment regarding pre-PR time should be cancelled. But no worries, mate, you are a good match to your current government - they didn't listen to them either.
Also, may I bring to your attention, that it is always the case when 0.1% minority being bullied by 99.9% majority and that's the strength of democratic regime to give voice and consideration to all those minorities and make sure no one is being treated unfairly? But I guess that is another part which you missed since it is not in the Mein Kampf democracy manual you were reading...
Chill the f*** out. I listened, I watched the hearings, I paid attention, I signed your damn petition, so don't attack me.

I believe that pre-PR time should count and was and still am in support of that amendment (though after your little rant there and the reference to Mein Kampf, I'm not so supportive of you personally).

I was simply pointing out the political logic behind the decision. 0.1% signed the petition, 99.9% didn't sign the petition. That's what politicians care about.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
civic said:
Did 99.9% population voted for Cons? Did Cons actually survey the 99.9% on this? Does the majority of Canadians know anything about Bill C-24? Did you ask your coworkers and your neighbors?
Do you really think that Bill C-24 is the sole platform on which people elect their government? If you haven't noticed, Canada is a developed country and extending the residency period by 1 year for new immigrants is not the most important issue for the vast majority of Canadian citizens. Yes, it is important to you, but no one is going to topple this government because they decided to act in Canada's best interests instead of yours. Deal with it.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
salzafar said:
Lastly, instead of asking me to use the dictionary. You may want to take an English lesson were they explain the use of quotation marks.
Look at the grammar, spelling and punctuation in what you just wrote....need I say more?