+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sign petition: Citizenship Act Bill C-24 discrimination

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MasterGeek said:
Yeah, priority for federal public service jobs is one of the lesser known advantages citizens have over permanent residents.

Example:
Yes, unfortunately this priority in most cases translates as NO-GO to PR.

Natalie7

Feb 18, 2014
Thanks Alex for the imitative. I strongly agree with you. Is there a Facebook page for this petition now? How can we spread it everyone?

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Natalie7 said:
Thanks Alex for the imitative. I strongly agree with you. Is there a Facebook page for this petition now? How can we spread it everyone?
Thank you for the support , Natalie. There are various FB groups discussing the issue of Bill C24. You can promote the petition by sharing wih friends and promoting it on your personal FB page.
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/house-of-commons-in-parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

salzafar

Jun 18, 2012
There's a second reading On Thursday, February 27th.

http://openparliament.ca/bills/41-2/C-24/

PETER VAN LOAN:

On Thursday, February 27th, That afternoon, we will start second reading debate on Bill C-24, the strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act. This bill represents the first comprehensive overhaul of Canada's citizenship laws in a generation.

ingotiblum

Jul 31, 2013
Just a quick comment:

As someone who will become a PR within the next 2-3 weeks (CEC program, been in Canada for 2.5 years, have a dream job, paid a lot of taxes…), I don’t see a problem with this Bill.

To be quite honest, when I started the PR process (and while doing so, also started to read about citizenship) I was honestly surprised to see that the pre-PR time can be counted in the total time spent in Canada.

To quote my wife: it was too good to be true anyway, this is much more realistic.

The point is this: if you claim that becoming a Canadian is your goal, you will do whatever it takes (or better, whatever the Government requires and demands) until you become one. In this case, you (we) will wait a bit longer. And, apart from not being able to vote, join the Army or work for the Government, there is absolutely no difference between us and born Canadians.

Someone else said it good: the citizenship clock starts when you land.

Remember, we came to them.

Personaly, I am very grateful to be in Canada.

And I hope one day I will become a citizen.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
sashali78 said:
There is no concern with intent of living in Canada forever. If you don't have the intent to live in Canada why would you want Canadian citizenship? I fully supportive of the Bill on this matter. The other part is that the life is unpredictable and life circumstances can change so ANY Canadian including the naturalized ones should be able to accommodate their personal needs. Anyhow, this part will not pass through as it is opposed to Canadian Charter of Rights.

Now above sound selfish to me, if you have only concern temporary residence counting towards citizenship and no concern towards intent to stay then you are looking at your end only.

How it sounds to you

"No Student or Temporary residence are required to stay in Canada once their studies completed or their job done" they are not here initially for permanent residence nor they were promised at any initial stage that they will be given permanent residency" since I am not affected anyway by this part of the law so I am fully supportive of the bill on the matter of students and temporary residence.

I am also not affected by time period 3/5 or 4/6, my wife is just Canadian and my two sons are born here, so I am not supportive of anything against length of time for citizenship, I am only affected by the term intent to stay so anyone against that I will not support him. I have intention to move around just like any other Canadian, I don't want to be discriminated once I am a Citizen, just thousands of other born, raised or new Citizen I should also have right to work in middle east, Russia or US otherwise all the Canadian should be called back asked them to sign intent to stay and they also should not be allowed to pursue lucrative jobs abroad:p :p 8)

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
salzafar said:
I'm wondering where we are at with this petition ? And what's our plan of action ?
We are currently at over 3000 signatures. Our message has been fully formed and published on the petition page. We have started contacting MPs and brining our message and petition to them. So far we are engaging 23 MPs, but we are looking for more volunteers to reach more. If you are ready to volunteer , contact us at : FightTheBillC24 @ outlook.com . We will be providing full document and training support for the assignees.

Support us at: https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/house-of-commons-in-parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

walitys

Star Member
May 19, 2013
sashali78 said:
We are currently at over 3000 signatures. Our message has been fully formed and published on the petition page.
Five minutes ago I informed Minister Alexander via Twitter about our petition:
walitys @ calxandr
We'll love to fight your hateful Bill C-24. At least 3000 newcomers are not amused & have signed already: http://tinyurl.com/ouswd76

Here is the history of our twitter exchange:

CIC ‏ @ CitImmCanada Feb 20
Protecting and Promoting Canada's Interests and Values: the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act: http://j.mp/1d5IPRu

walitys ‏ @ walitys Feb 20
@ CitImmCanada @ calxandr With new bills like this new one you successfully scare people away from Canada. 2% of those may be fraudsters.

Chris Alexander ‏ @ calxandr Feb 20
@ walitys In fact, more people are seeking to become citizens, and becoming Canadians, than ever before. Newcomers know the value of #cdncit.

@ calxandr It was BEFORE the Bill. Now they start to think if it's really worth it. Canada will lose many sincere, decent & bright immigrants

Chris Alexander ‏ @ calxandr Feb 21
@ walitys I seriously doubt it: the response so far has been overwhelmingly positive -- especially from newcomers. #CitAct

walitys ‏ @ walitys Feb 21
@ calxandr Are "your" newcomers masochists? Do they like: to wait for 4 years better than 3? 30-50 months of "processing"? RQ? Paying more?

walitys
@ calxandr We'll love to fight your hateful Bill C-24. At least 3000 newcomers are not amused & have signed already: http://tinyurl.com/ouswd76
9:12 PM - 22 Feb 2014

desi_jatt

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
These petition are not going to change anything.

Harper has his majority and the bill will pass as it was first read.

This petition or the petitioners can not affect the Conservatives as most of the signatories are PR or those who are in process of it and They can vote in the next election.

Canadian citizenship was the easiest to get with regards to US,UK, Australia etc etc, and the Govt was in its right to fix that especially after the involvement of some Canadian citizens in some not so kind acts abroad (in Bulgaria, Algeria, Somalia, Syria etc).

I doubt Canada is going to loose any prospective student or immigrant because now they have to live a year more to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

when people apply for PR, they apply for right to live and work in Canada indefinitely, unless they are sentenced for 6months/2 years +1 day (not sure 1 or those) for a crime .

And students when they apply, they have to satisfy the cic that they will return back to their country and some of them are refused for the reason (no sufficient ties to home country) that they will not come back after the studies are done.

So stop whining about it :)

Canadian2007

Nov 20, 2012
Desi_jatt,

Would you be able to present some facts in regards to your statement that "Canadian Citizenship was the easiest to get in regards to US, UK, AUS"... Please check this form Australian Citizenship depatments Website:

".From 1 July 2010 all citizenship applicants will need to meet this residence requirement at the time they apply for Australian citizenship.
You must have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before applying, including 1 year as a permanent resident, and
You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 1 year during the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying."

As far as US is concerned, you need to live there for 5 years as LPR however their Cit processing time is Maximum 6 months. No such thing as RQ and putting people file in limbo for 3-6 years.There are countless number of people waiting since 2010, 2011 even 2009 for their cit files to be processed.

So its very easy to spread bad information without facts to fabricate things but a reality check would be helpful!

However I do sadly agree with you that this petition will not change anything....they will get their way..

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian2007 said:
Desi_jatt,

Would you be able to present some facts in regards to your statement that "Canadian Citizenship was the easiest to get in regards to US, UK, AUS"... Please check this form Australian Citizenship depatments Website:

".From 1 July 2010 all citizenship applicants will need to meet this residence requirement at the time they apply for Australian citizenship.
You must have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before applying, including 1 year as a permanent resident, and
You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 1 year during the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying."

As far as US is concerned, you need to live there for 5 years as LPR however their Cit processing time is Maximum 6 months. No such thing as RQ and putting people file in limbo for 3-6 years.There are countless number of people waiting since 2010, 2011 even 2009 for their cit files to be processed.

So its very easy to spread bad information without facts to fabricate things but a reality check would be helpful!

However I do sadly agree with you that this petition will not change anything....they will get their way..
Guys, read my post from above. It is not just the petition. It is the well formed message which presents facts, evidence and proof that the new law amendments will be unfair, unreasonable and damaging to Canada which we want to carry to each one fo the MP and Media.
Instead of sitting here and sadly complaining it won't do any good - please volunteer and help to carry the message - we are able to contact 28 MPs by this point but we want to contact more. If you are ready to help us carry the message , send an email to : FightTheBillC24@outlook.com

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
look at these guys, for example, with 50,000 signatures challenging the "Fair" Elections Act...impressive !

http://globalnews.ca/video/1171770/new-petition-challenges-fair-elections-act

Good Luck ! the numbers signing up increases everyday.... they are debating at First Debate for Second Reading today.....

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
walitys said:
Five minutes ago I informed Minister Alexander via Twitter about our petition:
walitys @ calxandr
We'll love to fight your hateful Bill C-24. At least 3000 newcomers are not amused & have signed already: http://tinyurl.com/ouswd76

Here is the history of our twitter exchange:

CIC ‏ @ CitImmCanada Feb 20
Protecting and Promoting Canada's Interests and Values: the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act: http://j.mp/1d5IPRu

@ CitImmCanada @ calxandr With new bills like this new one you successfully scare people away from Canada. 2% of those may be fraudsters.

Chris Alexander ‏ @ calxandr Feb 20
@ walitys In fact, more people are seeking to become citizens, and becoming Canadians, than ever before. Newcomers know the value of #cdncit.

@ calxandr It was BEFORE the Bill. Now they start to think if it's really worth it. Canada will lose many sincere, decent & bright immigrants

Chris Alexander ‏ @ calxandr Feb 21
@ walitys I seriously doubt it: the response so far has been overwhelmingly positive -- especially from newcomers. #CitAct

walitys ‏ @ walitys Feb 21
@ calxandr Are "your" newcomers masochists? Do they like: to wait for 4 years better than 3? 30-50 months of "processing"? RQ? Paying more?

walitys
@ calxandr We'll love to fight your hateful Bill C-24. At least 3000 newcomers are not amused & have signed already: http://tinyurl.com/ouswd76
9:12 PM - 22 Feb 2014
You should have asked why they decided to not count pre-PR time spent in Canada

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A bit of good news from the Parliament:

Both NDP and Liberals have shown support for our cause:
http://openparliament.ca/bills/41-2/C-24/
Conservatives are caving in for now. However, they seem scared to address directly the issues raised by our petition, focusing on good parts of the proposed Bill C-24. Anyway. we have several meetings planned with Conservative MPs, where we'll try to explain our point view.

Just as a reminder, NDP and Liberals are winning over Conservatives in the latest polls. This already proves we have a wide support among Canadian public.

P.s. For the Minister conversation, any proof that @calxandr is his real twitter account? The only confirmed account is this one - @MinChrisA