+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sign petition: Citizenship Act Bill C-24 discrimination

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian2007 said:
You are talking like an ACLU attorney. This is not US.I hope you get what I am trying to say..
BTW getting even 10000 signature wont get you nowhere with this petition. Not trying to dishearten you but telling you like it is. good luck!
If the petition is the only thing we do - then yes. If we use it wisely , then you will see yourself being wrong. Time will tell.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
mathlete said:
Personally I see only two reasons why one would really need to care about citizenship:

1) You travel frequently to countries that require a visa or
2) You are planning to immigrate from Canada

Option (2) is really why the citizenship process is being held up us long as it has been. People want to meet the residency requirements and then move back to their native "higher risk countries", with a get out of jail free card should they need to leave one day.

For me it's all about option (1). I travel once per month and every country I go to requires a visa on my passport. That means scheduling appointments, filling out a ton of paperwork and paying huge fees almost every month. To Europe that means 2 trips to an embassy for every trip and about $90. To the UK a one year business visa is over $500. Need to attend a business gathering overseas with less than 3 weeks notice, I most likely can't go.
You forgot that Canadian citizens have priority over permanent residents for federal public jobs, which are well paying jobs with superior benefits

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
MasterGeek said:
You forgot that Canadian citizens have priority over permanent residents for federal public jobs, which are well paying jobs with superior benefits
That I didn't know about. Not that I'm looking for a government job, I prefer having a real job.

informatics

Aug 3, 2009
Thanks God media has atleast started highlighting this issue :

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/02/10/citizenship_reforms_a_serious_threat_to_rights_of_all_canadians.html

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
informatics said:
Thanks God media has atleast started highlighting this issue :

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/02/10/citizenship_reforms_a_serious_threat_to_rights_of_all_canadians.html
Hardly... It's a "commentary" by someone who has a vested interest in the outcome. Not really unbiased reporting, is it?

om saif

Dec 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
we need to create a petition to signed by all the people who will be affected by the new rules. i will apply in July, why should i wait for one extra year. i lost my mother without saying good bye because i was waiting to finish the three years. i do not want to wait to lose my dad and the rest of my family more than this. my kids were born here and my family do not know what they looks like. we do not have enough money to go and come back many times.
the new condition to spend one extra year and to sign a paper that i will in canada for ever make us a second class citizens. these new conditions were not included in our agreement with the government when we first came here. so, it should not be applied to us. deal is deal.
they can set these rules for the people who will apply for immigration right now, if they accept these condition. not to go back and apply to us.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
om saif said:
we need to create a petition to signed by all the people who will be affected by the new rules. i will apply in July, why should i wait for one extra year. i lost my mother without saying good bye because i was waiting to finish the three years. i do not want to wait to lose my dad and the rest of my family more than this. my kids were born here and my family do not know what they looks like. we do not have enough money to go and come back many times.
the new condition to spend one extra year and to sign a paper that i will in canada for ever make us a second class citizens. these new conditions were not included in our agreement with the government when we first came here. so, it should not be applied to us. deal is deal.
they can set these rules for the people who will apply for immigration right now, if they accept these condition. not to go back and apply to us.
Amazing idea:)

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/senate-of-canada-house-of-commons-mp-s-do-not-allow-the-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-the-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24
Those wishing to volunteer , please sign up at : FightTheBillC24 @ outlook.com

om saif

Dec 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks dear. this one speaks only about the students. my concern is also the increasing the residency to 4 years and living in Canada for ever.
if anybody has a link including all please send it
thanks

sashali78 said:
Amazing idea:)

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/senate-of-canada-house-of-commons-mp-s-do-not-allow-the-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-students-by-the-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24
Those wishing to volunteer , please sign up at : FightTheBillC24 @ outlook.com

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
mathlete said:
That I didn't know about. Not that I'm looking for a government job, I prefer having a real job.
A government job is a real job, the only difference is that you're not being exploited to make a profit for the bosses.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
MasterGeek said:
A government job is a real job, the only difference is that you're not being exploited to make a profit for the bosses.
And a government job can be much more stable than a private sector job.

Thank you for bringing this up. I thought about bringing it up myself but decided against it because nobody really listens in here. They're thick as planks of wood.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcus66502 said:
And a government job can be much more stable than a private sector job.

Thank you for bringing this up. I thought about bringing it up myself but decided against it because nobody really listens in here. They're thick as planks of wood.
There is no concern with intent of living in Canada forever. If you don't have the intent to live in Canada why would you want Canadian citizenship? I fully supportive of the Bill on this matter. The other part is that the life is unpredictable and life circumstances can change so ANY Canadian including the naturalized ones should be able to accommodate their personal needs. Anyhow, this part will not pass through as it is opposed to Canadian Charter of Rights.

Here is what Canadian (real Canadian) are saying about the removal of temporary residence counting towards citizenship though:

David Evans SACKVILLE, CANADA : "This just doesn't make sense economically. When we have an aging population and a shrinking tax base we should be trying to retain workers and students from abroad that have already been living and studying/working in Canada."

Janine Brophy ST. JOHN'S, CANADA: "I have friends who live in Canada on temporary work and study permits, and they are injecting talent and diversity into our economies in a much-needed way. One of these students recently was on a team with me to represent our university at an international competition. He was chosen as 1 of 4 students, out of the entire student body, because he brought skills that no other student had. Bills like this will only serve to alienate these great people from participating in what our great country has to offer."

Nicolae Braghis CALGARY, CANADA: "It is just unfair. They paid taxes and were part of the community. No credit for those years is like stealing their biggest dream of becoming Canadians. "Yes guys, just wait other 4 years and maybe, just maybe we won`t change the law again"."

Isabelle Levesque MONTRéAL, CANADA: "Workers and students from foreign countries are the people who have the most positive impact on our economy"

Marianne van den Heuvel STRATFORD, CANADA: "Although I am Canadian-born, my parents were immigrants. They left their family, friends and everything they knew to start a new life here. It was terribly difficult in the first ten years, establishing a new business, raising a family and learning to become part of a new community. There are enough roadblocks set up for people trying to immigrate, why add more bureaucracy and more hoops to jump through once they are here and functioning as part of our society? What is the rationale?"

Read more and sign at:
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/canada-parliament-do-not-allow-discrimination-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mathlete said:
Jobs with the government are very real...the guys who work at the CBSA, CIC, Canadian Forces etc have real jobs, if it wasn't because they perform their jobs this country would no be what it is

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
FL1040 said:
Jobs with the government are very real...the guys who work at the CBSA, CIC, Canadian Forces etc have real jobs, if it wasn't because they perform their jobs this country would no be what it is
Yeah, priority for federal public service jobs is one of the lesser known advantages citizens have over permanent residents.

Example:
https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?toggleLanguage=en&noBackBtn=true&poster=231007&psrsMode=1 said:
Citizenship
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens. Please indicate in your application the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
MasterGeek said:
Yeah, priority for federal public service jobs is one of the lesser known advantages citizens have over permanent residents.

Example:
Lesser known because most immigrants don't ever think about obtaining jobs with the federal government. Quite frankly from my personal observations, I would dare say the reason most immigrants want citizenship is so they can go to their home countries and brag to friends and family about their new Canadian passports, i.e. because of the need to fuel their big ego -- a sad excuse for giving someone the highest honor a country has to give.

Actually, aspiring to work for the federal government is one of most genuine forms of showing true commitment to Canada. It's of the same importance as serving in the armed forces. And I don't care what anyone says, a job with the federal government is one of the most stable careers you can ever have. You can spend your free time taking vacations or pursuing leasures of interest instead of trying to build alternate skills and looking for other jobs because the one you have stinks and you hate it.