+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Show that you’re travelling to Canada for an essential reason

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
My husband does NOT need a visa to enter Canada as a visitor. (only eTA) He has right to be in Canada to up to 6 month per year as any other visitor. In our case we are not planing for him to be here in Canada more then a month for now. Nobody ask him for returned ticket. He can NOT apply for open work permit, because he is "outland" PR applicant.
Just to clarify for you, your husband does not have a RIGHT to be in Canada.. He will normally be ALLOWED to remain in Canada for a 6 month period, no foreigner has a right to stay in Canada for any given length of time. It is up to CBSA to decide how long a foreign national can stay here, it could be zero days if they don't want to admit him.

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
Just to clarify for you, your husband does not have a RIGHT to be in Canada.. He will normally be ALLOWED to remain in Canada for a 6 month period, no foreigner has a right to stay in Canada for any given length of time. It is up to CBSA to decide how long a foreign national can stay here, it could be zero days if they don't want to admit him.
AcknowledgeD, but is the set length determined by the CBSA officer at the POE?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
My husband landed in Canada (Montreal) this month on the visitor visa (eTA). The only proof of relationship that officer asked him was our marriage certificate and a copy of my Canadian passport.
No issues at the airport.
Of course quarantine for two weeks.... he has his own medical insurance as visitor to Canada.
Just want to clarify for others that even if you have an ETA you are still subject to travel restrictions. Being the spouse of a Canadian plus the ETA.

Doubt his insurance Covers covid that is why provinces are needing to cover everyone.

maratoronto

Oct 24, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Just want to clarify for others that even if you have an ETA you are still subject to travel restrictions. Being the spouse of a Canadian plus the ETA.

Doubt his insurance Covers covid that is why provinces are needing to cover everyone.
Ye. you a correct. Just having eTA. is not a reason for travel to Canada right now.

Province of Ontario is NOT covering visitors to Canada medical needs including COVID.He has a private medical insurance for visitors to Canada, that cover COVID.

Reactions: CDNsoldier

Vishal A

Apr 9, 2016
I have a PR and presently in India. I got married few months ago. My wife has TRV. I hope we both can travel together to Canada. Our intent is to get Spouse PR application with OWP. I have marriage certificate to substantiate our marriage. Do I need to consider anything else to enter Canada along with my wife?

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
I have a PR and presently in India. I got married few months ago. My wife has TRV. I hope we both can travel together to Canada. Our intent is to get Spouse PR application with OWP. I have marriage certificate to substantiate our marriage. Do I need to consider anything else to enter Canada along with my wife?
All your wife needs is proof of relationship (marriage certificate) and proof of citizenship status (passport). She will need to confirm she is staying in Canada for a minimum of 15 days and she must provide a quarantine plan of 14 days.

Immediate family members of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
To be eligible, you must provide evidence that

You must also have a quarantine plan that shows how you’ll quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This plan is mandatory.

If you’re staying for less than 15 days, you must meet the same requirements as all other foreign nationals.

Quarantine requirement
When you arrive in Canada by air, land or sea, we’ll assess your health before you leave the POE. If you’re a foreign national, and you have symptoms of COVID-19, you won’t be allowed to enter Canada.

You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada, including

• a place to stay
  • how you’ll
    • get to your destination
    • get your groceries
    • access essential services and medical care
This plan is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don’t have a plan, you should not travel to Canada. Otherwise, you may not be allowed to enter the country. A border services officer will determine if you can enter the country.

The penalties for not following your quarantine plan once you’re in the country can include

• a fine of up to $750,000
  • 6 months of jail time
  • being found inadmissible, removed from Canada and banned from entering for 1 year
I also suggest you download the ArriveCAN mobile app in advance :

Arrival in Canada
Travellers entering Canada by air or by land must

• provide basic information using the traveller contact information form, available through
    • the ArriveCAN mobile app
    • an accessible web-based form
    • a paper form
  • be screened by a border services officer or quarantine officer to assess symptoms
Get the ArriveCAN app for iOS or Android.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#unite-citizen-pr

Reactions: Vishal A

manp1988

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Canada
If you are talking about getting the authorization letter from IRCC, here is the detail,
ALL OTHER ENQUIRIES RECEIVED THROUGH THIS INBOX WILL NOT BE ANSWERED.

1. Written authorization from the Government of Canada
Who needs to request a written authorization from this inbox?1. You are a foreign national wanting to reunite with an immediate family member residing in Canada that is NOT a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident; and
2. You hold a valid visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or applied for one before April 9, 2020 and the application is still in progress; and
3. You are travelling to Canada for an essential purpose.
Who is considered an immediate family member?Spouse or common law partner, dependent child, dependent child of a dependent child, parents or step parents, guardian or tutor.
How do I apply for a written authorization letter?Email us at IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca and provide all the following information for you and your immediate family member in Canada:
· Full name
· Date of Birth
· UCI
· Application Number
· Passport Number
· Detailed purpose of travel
· Proof of relationship with an immediate family member in Canada
· Proof of immigration status of the immediate family member in Canada
· Proof of Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization

All requests that do not include the above information will be considered incomplete and deleted. If you have already submitted an incomplete request but meet the above criteria, please resend all documents and information in a single email.

2. Exemptions from the travel restrictions
Who needs to tell this inbox they are exempt from the travel restrictions?· You are a foreign national who applied for a visitor visa before April 9, 2020 and the application is still in progress; and
· You are exempt from the travel restrictions; and
· You are travelling to Canada for an essential purpose.
Who is exempt from the travel restrictions and can enter Canada without written authorization?· Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
· Temporary foreign worker who has a valid work permit or was approved a work permit and coming for essential purpose
· Student who has a valid study permit or was approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020
· Foreign national who is coming for an essential (non-discretionary) purpose from the United States
· Immediate family member of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident, in Canada or abroad.
· Other exemptions
What to do if I’m exempt and need to apply for a TRV (visitor visa)· Starting April 9, you must apply online
· You must tell us why you’re exempt from the travel restrictions and why you’re travelling for an essential purpose.
· When answering the question on the application form about the purpose of travel, enter the following information exactly as written to ensure your application is prioritized:
a) For question 1 a) purpose of travel, choose “other” from the drop-down menu.
b) For question 1 b) description field, write COVID-19 exactly like this (you must use capital letters).
What to do if I’m exempt and need to apply for an eTA, or if I already applied for oneYou’ll need to send a Web form to tell us why you’re exempt from the travel restrictions and why you’re travelling for an essential purpose.
Hi, I am filing visitor visa for spouse, Does this written authorization is required after submitting the Visa application or before in the new portal ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am filing visitor visa for spouse, Does this written authorization is required after submitting the Visa application or before in the new portal ?
Not needed for the spouse of a PR or citizen but TRV approval isn’t guaranteed. Is your spouse fully vaccinated and with what?

manp1988

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Canada
Not needed for the spouse of a PR or citizen but TRV approval isn’t guaranteed. Is your spouse fully vaccinated and with what?
Yes, my spouse is fully vaccinated with the Covishield vaccine in India. Also, I am not a citizen or PR but on a work permit in Canada. I have started the application and have selected 'yes' to the question 'do you need written travel authorization'. I can change it to 'no' as it is not submitted yet.

manp1988

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Canada
Also, I am filing this visitor application using new portal knowing that already an application of a 'spousal work permit' is filed from India. it is filed in june 2021 but nothing is updated yet, therefore, thinking of filing this visitor application. Is it wise to file this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also, I am filing this visitor application using new portal knowing that already an application of a 'spousal work permit' is filed from India. it is filed in june 2021 but nothing is updated yet, therefore, thinking of filing this visitor application. Is it wise to file this?
You're posting in the wrong section of the forum. This section is for Canadian citizens and PRs who are sponsoring family members for PR.

Suggest you post to the Visitors section of the forum instead.

manp1988

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Canada
You're posting in the wrong section of the forum. This section is for Canadian citizens and PRs who are sponsoring family members for PR.

Suggest you post to the Visitors section of the forum instead.
Sure, I will ask this question in Visitor section. Thanks !!