+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I apply the post graduate program as domestic or international student?

jojo620

Oct 4, 2020
I have submitted an application of family sponsorship of my wife and daughter in summer 2020. She wish to study postgraduate program in engineering in Toronto in Sept 2021. Should I tell the faculty that her status will change later? Is it possible that I can change the student status after she begins her studies?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If applying now even for fall 2021 you would need to apply as an international student given no guarantees the family sponsorship would come through in time.

No harm in advising the institution that you have a family sponsorship in process although there will come a time when fees need to be paid and a study permit applied for if PR does not come through in time so in contacting the institution seek out policy for both flipping from international to domestic and whether any partial fee might be refundable. Only the institution can answer that question as depends on their policy specifically on the international versus domestic fees

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have submitted an application of family sponsorship of my wife and daughter in summer 2020. She wish to study postgraduate program in engineering in Toronto in Sept 2021. Should I tell the faculty that her status will change later? Is it possible that I can change the student status after she begins her studies?
Yes it is important to advise that your spouse wants to attend as a domestic student. There are quotas for both international and domestic students and the faculty is budgeting based on the fact that you’ll be an international student. Entrance requirements tend to be slightly different as well.