+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I apply now?

AjBuck

Jul 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I went on CIC.GC.ca website and did my score I got 838 with less than a year working in a NOC B job and got 934 if I waited a year. Under Canadian Experience I have a full time permanent contract job, working 37.5 hours a week do I still need LMIA from my employer? Isn't my job letter sufficient? I have done itles test with passing scores.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
AjBuck said:
I went on CIC.GC.ca website and did my score I got 838 with less than a year working in a NOC B job and got 934 if I waited a year. Under Canadian Experience I have a full time permanent contract job, working 37.5 hours a week do I still need LMIA from my employer? Isn't my job letter sufficient? I have done itles test with passing scores.
You need an approved LMIA to claim the 600 job offer points. Without an LMIA - no points.

fl_pie

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
AjBuck said:
You need a LMIA to get +600. However, I would advise you to apply now, because it's free and you don't lose anything by applying earlier. Your score would be on the lower side without the 600 points bonus, but you can always update your profile later (when you get more work experience, get your LMIA, etc.) and get a higher score.

chechi_298

Star Member
Oct 23, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2015
Passport Req..
06-10-2015
LANDED..........
12-11-15
I'm not sure that'll be a good idea. Personally, I would be a bit hesitant to do so based on the information you provided. Here's my rationale:
You cannot claim the 600 points unless you've received PNP or valid job offer? If it is that you do have the PNP, then for sure go right ahead!

If not, suppose you do apply now with the score you noted (838) and CIC offers you an ITA in the next draw (which some speculate could be as early as tonight), it's unlikely that CIC would consider your 838 points for PR because a valid job offer MUST be accompanied by a positive LMIA - a job letter alone will not suffice. Had it been that simple, all those on LMIA exempt work permits (such as PGWP) would be able to claim the 600 points and the current related fuss surrounding that issue would be avoided. Anyways, I digress. My point is that if you claim 838 without LMIA/PNP, there would be grave consequences cos it's possible that CIC may interpret this as a misrepresentation of information. Furthermore, if you're lucky in the sense that your employer is willing to apply for the LMIA, I suggest you wait until you have the results before claiming these 600 points, because that process can take months. Many draws could be held while you wait for the LMIA results. Also, applying for the LMIA is a headache, but it does not guarantee you will receive favourable results. Only a minority of the applications are approved. Therefore, even after going through this entire process, you may find that you do not qualify for the 600 pts.

Also, are you considering applying under CEC or FSW? The reason I'm asking this is because to be eligible for CEC, you must have worked for a minimum of 1 year. Therefore, if this was your intention, you may not qualify for the CEC stream until you hit the 1 year mark. On the other hand, if you qualify for FSW you may do this now, providing that you have the PNP or LMIA to claim the 838.

fl_pie

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-04-2015
chechi_298 said:
I'm not sure that'll be a good idea. Personally, I would be a bit hesitant to do so based on the information you provided. Here's my rationale:
You cannot claim the 600 points unless you've received PNP or valid job offer? If it is that you do have the PNP, then for sure go right ahead!

If not, suppose you do apply now with the score you noted (838) and CIC offers you an ITA in the next draw (which some speculate could be as early as tonight), it's unlikely that CIC would consider your 838 points for PR because a valid job offer MUST be accompanied by a positive LMIA - a job letter alone will not suffice. Had it been that simple, all those on LMIA exempt work permits (such as PGWP) would be able to claim the 600 points and the current related fuss surrounding that issue would be avoided. Anyways, I digress. My point is that if you claim 838 without LMIA/PNP, there would be grave consequences cos it's possible that CIC may interpret this as a misrepresentation of information. Furthermore, if you're lucky in the sense that your employer is willing to apply for the LMIA, I suggest you wait until you have the results before claiming these 600 points, because that process can take months. Many draws could be held while you wait for the LMIA results. Also, applying for the LMIA is a headache, but it does not guarantee you will receive favourable results. Only a minority of the applications are approved. Therefore, even after going through this entire process, you may find that you do not qualify for the 600 pts.

Also, are you considering applying under CEC or FSW? The reason I'm asking this is because to be eligible for CEC, you must have worked for a minimum of 1 year. Therefore, if this was your intention, you may not qualify for the CEC stream until you hit the 1 year mark. On the other hand, if you qualify for FSW you may do this now, providing that you have the PNP or LMIA to claim the 838.
OP definitely cannot and should not claim 600 points without a LMIA (CIC may consider this misrepresentation and ban OP for 5 years). However, I fail to see what he would gain by not creating the profile until he receives his LMIA.

chechi_298

Star Member
Oct 23, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2015
Passport Req..
06-10-2015
LANDED..........
12-11-15
fl_pie said:
OP definitely cannot and should not claim 600 points without a LMIA (CIC may consider this misrepresentation and ban OP for 5 years). However, I fail to see what he would gain by not creating the profile until he receives his LMIA.
Creating his profile for sure is not a problem. The question he asked was weather he should APPLY now. There is a vast difference. If he creates a profile and gets an ITA, that's where the trouble begins as he would be deemed ineligible at this point and can even face consequences. Based on his post, his 838 (without LMIA) is misrepresentative and that is why I advised him to proceed with caution. Sure, OP, create your profile, but even though you are employed, you do not have the valid job offer (ie. with LMIA). If you choose to create your profile (which you have every right to at any point), you cannot claim 838 points. Fortunately, if you receive a positive LMIA, you can update your profile and secure the additional 600 points.

irishIan

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
Yes OP, create your profile honestly first and then update it if and/or when you get the LMIA as these are NOT easy to get.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
AjBuck said:
If you don't have the LMiA or PNP than you can't claim the 600 extra job points. The max score without those is 600, so, I'm assuming you add them in without the LMIA. Yes, you need the LMIA, a job letter isn't enough.
Also, look into how long it will take you to get your paperwork, like your police certificate from any country you lived in for more than 6 months after the age of 18. Some countries take months to get you that police certificate and once you get the ITA you only have 60 days to get all your paperwork in.