+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I apply for work permit while applying for study permit?

Anik1204

Oct 23, 2019
Currently, I am in Canada holding a valid study permit which is for high school only. I have LoA from George Brown College and I will be applying for study permit within a week

International students get off-campus work permit with 20 hours limit. So my question is to get that time-limited work permit, while applying for study permit, I see an option "Do you also want to apply for a work permit?", should I choose Open Work Permit? or I will get the work permit without applying separately?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You don't need a work permit to work 20hr/week as Int student. The study permit automatically allows you to do that.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I saw many people getting study permit, but also having a condition that they can't work off-campus
That happens, you need to get the SP amended in that case. Or for those getting it in person at point of entry make sure it doesn't say that in the first place.

Anik1204

Oct 23, 2019
That happens, you need to get the SP amended in that case. Or for those getting it in person at point of entry make sure it doesn't say that in the first place.
Ok. So i will just choose “No” in “do you want to apply for work permit”.

One more question, as i am applying within Canada, do i need to give a letter of explanation?
If yes, should I attach the letter i had given them during the first application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok. So i will just choose “No” in “do you want to apply for work permit”.

One more question, as i am applying within Canada, do i need to give a letter of explanation?
If yes, should I attach the letter i had given them during the first application?
You have to apply outside Canada. Most people who are already in Canada send their application to the US.