+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*** September 2020 - Outland Spousal (Family Class) Sponsorship ***

Zeekaa

Nov 17, 2020
Call cic from inside canada on this number 18882422100 extension 2 - 1 - 0
When you the agent answer, they will ask you for your details and then give you the temp number if they opened your envelope
Thanks but I don’t think they opened my envelope. They received my package on Sep 18

nabih.b

Oct 12, 2020
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
Thanks but I don’t think they opened my envelope. They received my package on Sep 18
they received mine on sep 16, and they gave me a Temp number, you should get yours soon. try to call them, you have nothing to loose.

Zeekaa

Nov 17, 2020
they received mine on sep 16, and they gave me a Temp number, you should get yours soon. try to call them, you have nothing to loose.
That’s true. Thank you. So what does it mean when they provide you with temp number? Does that mean they opened your package and your documents are complete?

R H

Star Member
Jan 17, 2020
The temporary number is obtained after starting our file processing
No dear. Temporary number means that they opened the envelop and assigned a temporary number to the file and scanned the documents in the system. Next step is to assign the file to some officer who will check the completion of the documents and finally the processing will be started.

Reactions: rrss13 and pc8922

dagal

Dec 19, 2019
Visa Office......
Paris
Call cic from inside canada on this number 18882422100 extension 2 - 1 - 0
When you the agent answer, they will ask you for your details and then give you the temp number if they opened your envelope
Thank you, they were able to confirm that our application (sep 15th) has been opened and all documents have been validated, meaning that the application won't be sent back as incomplete. We requested a temporary number so we could update our address (so we've moved now to Canada while we wait), and they gave us a code with the XF***** format.

So for anyone in a similar situation that needs some official response from CIC, they could try calling this number as well. As far as I understand, there's not a whole lot of things you can do with this temporary code, but it's useful for updating important information or maybe even to obtain a documental proof to enter into Canada during these troubled times, although that's a whole other topic in itself!

Last edited:

Zeekaa

Nov 17, 2020
No dear. Temporary number means that they opened the envelop and assigned a temporary number to the file and scanned the documents in the system. Next step is to assign the file to some officer who will check the completion of the documents and finally the processing will be started.
Any idea how long it takes after they assign the file to an officer?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thank you, they were able to confirm that our application (sep 15th) has been opened and all documents have been validated, meaning that the application won't be sent back as incomplete. We requested a temporary number so we could update our address (so we've moved now to Canada while we wait), and they gave us a code with the XF***** format.

So for anyone in a similar situation that needs some official response from CIC, they could try calling this number as well. As far as I understand, there's not a whole lot of things you can do with this temporary code, but it's useful for updating important information or maybe even to obtain a documental proof to enter into Canada during these troubled times, although that's a whole other topic in itself!
That is not totally true. Having a temp number doesn't mean the docs have been validated by an officer. Once you get AOR with the permanent file number then that means your docs have been checked for completeness.

dagal

Dec 19, 2019
Visa Office......
Paris
That is not totally true. Having a temp number doesn't mean the docs have been validated by an officer. Once you get AOR with the permanent file number then that means your docs have been checked for completeness.
I didn't mean to say that having a temp number implied that. I'm just paraphrasing what they've told me over the phone, that on my specific case the completeness has been already validated. Apologies for not being clear enough.