+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

johnbro

Star Member
Jul 17, 2014
Hi All,

I called the IRCC call centre at 8.30 AM and again at 2.30 PM and chose Application Status option (at level 3 options) the other two options were 'Change Contact info ..' and 'verification document status of original application or something. After choosing option 1 then I believe I chose 'Citizenship' then Citizenship status check at level 4-5. I get the message for checking applicaton status all agents are busy .. go online or you can try later and the call disconnected.

My question, I am trying to see if my scanned passport copies are updated on my file. Does anyone know what options to choose to get to a live agent to get this information ?

Also, I sent a webform requesting the status of my scanned passport copy on my file. I also wrote on the last line 'Just in case I am attaching the scanned color passport copies and its translations' and attached the files. Is it acceptable via web form if my email was lost or they missed it somehow .. would they update the files if its not already done ?

Thanks in advance

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
No you don’t cut it in front of any one.
1- all people together with the judge, they don’t really hear any one because there is many people. No worries about this part at all.

2- you cut the PR card and sign the papers By your self after the ceremony and just send them picture of the cut PR and a PDF of the signed document.
Good luck.
Oh, that's weird. Do you know which office conducted your oath ceremony.

My oath letter says this :

You (and any family member associated to your application) will be asked to cut up your Permanent
Resident card(s) on screen after the ceremony.
If you plan to travel soon and will require your Permanent
Resident card to return to Canada and therefore prefer to postpone your citizenship ceremony temporarily,
contact us as soon as possible. Also read the “Information about Passports” below.
May be they've changed the process recently. I am sure I've watched some video oath ceremonies on YouTube where the applicants were cutting the card on screen in the presence of an IRCC official.

perpetualwait

May 27, 2021

May be they've changed the process recently. I am sure I've watched some video oath ceremonies on YouTube where the applicants were cutting the card on screen in the presence of an IRCC official.
I think many times the instructions are an ideal state with many things not done to that ideal state. It maybe the PR card cutting is one. The only way they can make sure the PR card is cut in person is if the officer goes to a private room with each applicant to review the cutting. Doesn't look like they are doing that so cutting by yourself and sending picture would definitely make sense.

That being said they can easily deactivate the PR card at their end so this is a redundant process anyways.

Moonyflower

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021

ya mine said the same about the cutting but that didn't happen in real life.i dont have the part that says if you need your PR postpone your ceremony.
my ceremony was quite quick and no one asked any thing other that a quick check on PR and driving licence which took a second. i cached allot of videos too but again mine was way simpler. my ceremony office is London.

Last edited:

Moonyflower

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
I think many times the instructions are an ideal state with many things not done to that ideal state. It maybe the PR card cutting is one. The only way they can make sure the PR card is cut in person is if the officer goes to a private room with each applicant to review the cutting. Doesn't look like they are doing that so cutting by yourself and sending picture would definitely make sense.

That being said they can easily deactivate the PR card at their end so this is a redundant process anyways.
sure it is. there is no good reason in my opinion to destroy the PR card.

Reactions: perpetualwait

perpetualwait

May 27, 2021
sure it is. there is no good reason in my opinion to destroy the PR card.
Thank you for all your responses. You have demystified the online oath process for a lot of us :)

By the way did any one ask or did they give the opportunity to either pick the citizenship certificate in person from London office or expedite it during or at the end of the ceremony?

Thank you!

Moonyflower

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Thank you for all your responses. You have demystified the online oath process for a lot of us :)

By the way did any one ask or did they give the opportunity to either pick the citizenship certificate in person from London office or expedite it during or at the end of the ceremony?

Thank you!
no, no one ask any thing. i would say most of the time we were talking tom each others and get to know each other while waiting for officer to check identity of the people. As i mentioned the certificate took about a week to arrive which is really good because they said it will take between 2-4 weeks. by the way, my ceremony office was London but the judge was in Niagara falls and that's where i got my test invite from.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
ya mine said the same about the cutting but that didn't happen in real life.i dont have the part that says if you need your PR postpone your ceremony.
my ceremony was quite quick and no one asked any thing other that a quick check on PR and driving licence which took a second. i cached allot of videos too but again mine was way simpler. my ceremony office is London.
no, no one ask any thing. i would say most of the time we were talking tom each others and get to know each other while waiting for officer to check identity of the people. As i mentioned the certificate took about a week to arrive which is really good because they said it will take between 2-4 weeks. by the way, my ceremony office was London but the judge was in Niagara falls and that's where i got my test invite from.
Okay, thanks.

So your processing office (at least as far as oath is concerned) is Niagara Office and not London.

Okay, there might be office specific procedures then. I'll be sure to let you guys know what the procedure is for the Mississauga office once I'm done with my oath.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

Thank you!
I think the "pick up certificate" option was offered so far only at the Ottawa office. For the expediting option, we'd have to request them (even if they don't initiate that conversation AFAIK). I'll have to do this because I need my citizenship certificate urgently. I'll make a detailed post once I'm done with the process - that might help people who are planning to take oath in the Mississauga office.

Reactions: MoreTokens123

csmspencer

Aug 9, 2021
Hi folks,

I passed my test on 23 July 2021 (test period of July 16 to Aug 5), however the online tracker shows "updated July 27" on the top right corner, and the test status is not updated. Background verification is completed. Anyone knows if this is just due to slow processing? I heard many people had their test status update 3 to 4 days after taking it.

I hope it's nothing because my webcam bugged for the first few min.

Thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi folks,

I passed my test on 23 July 2021 (test period of July 16 to Aug 5), however the online tracker shows "updated July 27" on the top right corner, and the test status is not updated. Background verification is completed. Anyone knows if this is just due to slow processing? I heard many people had their test status update 3 to 4 days after taking it.

I hope it's nothing because my webcam bugged for the first few min.

Thanks
Usually, the test status is updated in a couple of days but it might take a while for some people.

If there was an issue with the webcam during the test or if the image quality of your photo or ID was extremely poor (unable to view any detail, for instance), then that might trigger a re-test request.

I hope that your test is validated successfully in the first attempt.

However, in case you get a re-test request, it would be done over MS teams (test is oral). The IRCC official will show you a PowerPoint slide with the questions and you'd have to answer them orally. The same number of questions and the time limits apply.

Keep us posted. Wish you all the very best.

Moonyflower

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
Okay, thanks.

So your processing office (at least as far as oath is concerned) is Niagara Office and not London.

Okay, there might be office specific procedures then. I'll be sure to let you guys know what the procedure is for the Mississauga office once I'm done with my oath.

Moonyflower

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
No, I received the oath email from London office and the test email from Niagara Falls. The judge for the oath was located in Niagara Falls. Most of the people in my ceremony were from London and Sarnia.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram