Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
No that's not what I said.

Forget about the passports, we are talking about the process from application submission to oath. Passport is a completely separate process and you can't include that in the citizenship grant timeline.

I'm saying that given the rate at which they are sending tests and oath invitations, it might take a year or more for a sizable number of late 2020 applicants to become citizens of this country. Even if you get the test invite and pass the test, there is a wait for your application to go to "Decision Made" (DM) status. After that, there is a wait for you to get your oath invitation. After that, you'll have to wait for the actual oath ceremony. If the current pace doesn't improve and they don't take remedial steps, a sizable number of late 2020 applicants will become citizens (that is, take the oath of citizenship) only in mid-late 2022.
Ok. I see it now.

As I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I am not in a rush to be a citizen, and can wait for as long as CIC wants. But I do need to leave Canada for an extended period of time. I wanted to know these timelines to better plan my exit. Also, if these steps can be performed online while outside Canada, or I need to come back to Canada in order to write the test/interview/oath.

After your recent posts and my renewed understanding, I think I might as well leave Canada now, and then have to come back to complete these steps as and when invited. This would mean multiple trips which is not ideal in current Covid/Travel situation. But to wait this out also doesn't seem to help because it might take very long until I finish all the steps.

Had these steps been possible to be completed from outside Canada, I could then easily exit right now I suppose.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Ok. I see it now.

As I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I am not in a rush to be a citizen, and can wait for as long as CIC wants. But I do need to leave Canada for an extended period of time. I wanted to know these timelines to better plan my exit. Also, if these steps can be performed online while outside Canada, or I need to come back to Canada in order to write the test/interview/oath.

After your recent posts and my renewed understanding, I think I might as well leave Canada now, and then have to come back to complete these steps as and when invited. This would mean multiple trips which is not ideal in current Covid/Travel situation. But to wait this out also doesn't seem to help because it might take very long until I finish all the steps.

Had these steps been possible to be completed from outside Canada, I could then easily exit right now I suppose.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
You can't take the test or oath from outside Canada. You'll have to be physically present in Canada for both the test and oath. I'm not sure about the interview but it is safe to assume that you'll have to be physically present in the country for interview as well, if you are called for one.

Also, keep in mind that your PR status should be in good standing up until the time of oath of citizenship. That means that you'll have to have resided in Canada for at least 2 years in any 5 year period. Plan your trips accordingly.

In addition to that, there might be travel bans in place when you plan on traveling back. You should also keep that in mind.

Reactions: nskatcv

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I do agree that technology isn't the problem here, I feel like the problem might be the union. Union may block any effort to massively use the online platform for tests or any technology for citizenship process or other immigrations stuff, they can use job killing excuses to keep the use of it as limited. This is just my thinking and really hope I am wrong here :)
This might very well be the case. Until I see significant progress, we might be in for a long wait. My hopes have started to dwindle.

• Sad
Reactions: Das67

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
In addition to that, there might be travel bans in place when you plan on traveling back. You should also keep that in mind.
Thanks for the inputs. Regarding travel bans, which is definitely a possibility, do you know if test/oath can be postponed after the invite. Or it is like, take it or leave it kind of situation with CIC.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks for the inputs. Regarding travel bans, which is definitely a possibility, do you know if test/oath can be postponed after the invite. Or it is like, take it or leave it kind of situation with CIC.
You can postpone both the test invite AND the oath invite if you are outside the country.

But be warned, when you do that, no one knows when you'll get a second invite. Given the delays that are already there, it might take a while IMO.

Reactions: nskatcv

jamezmoran

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
15-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
16-11-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
Did you use anything else in addition to the Study Guide? Did you find the test difficult? :)
No, I just read the study guide and already knew most of the stuff anyway. There's a few curve balls (royal anthem not the same as national anthem, for example) but overall I did not find it difficult.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Progressive

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Guys, I received the invitation to take the test (by email). The day before I received GCMS notes, which said that I only passed criminality check and the rest is not started. Really excited to take it!

Reactions: MaryC

sidhug21

Mar 30, 2021
How long it take to receive GCMS notes?? i applied on last month 8 april but didn’t got any response from them.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
How long it take to receive GCMS notes?? i applied on last month 8 april but didn’t got any response from them.
The general timeline is 30 days. But IRCC is not especially known for their timely issuance of GCMS notes. Most people who apply notes now a days from IRCC have seen delays in getting them.

You might get it on Monday (since today is not a working day). If you don't get it on Monday, then you'll have to wait until you do.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MaryC

Star Member
Jan 22, 2021
Guys, I received the invitation to take the test (by email). The day before I received GCMS notes, which said that I only passed criminality check and the rest is not started. Really excited to take it!
Yay! Great news! Congratulations and best of luck for your test!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks a lot, guys! So, in my case it took them 15 days to send GCMS notes. Wishing the rest of you to receive the test invites and smash the test!
Well, we are all ready. Only one problem. We don't seem to be receiving the test invite, lol. Not sure if this is a location issue. Mississauga is one o the slowest offices in the country.

Hopefully, we'll see more invites for September applicants in the coming weeks.

Good luck to all and fingers crossed.

rajneeshv

Apr 27, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-05-2014
Nomination.....
22-9-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
14-11-2014 (Med Rcvd: 21Feb)
Interview........
Decision Made : 20-3-2015
Passport Req..
31-3-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-4-2015
LANDED..........
16-10-2015
Apparently we can't check the application status without Application number. And application number is assigned in AOR, which I never received even though the ECS used to say that AOR was sent on 19th Dec. So how do I get my Application number ? Others must have faced the same issue, as I remember many people didn't get the AOR, even though the status reflected that.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Apparently we can't check the application status without Application number. And application number is assigned in AOR, which I never received even though the ECS used to say that AOR was sent on 19th Dec. So how do I get my Application number ? Others must have faced the same issue, as I remember many people didn't get the AOR, even though the status reflected that.
You'll have to call the support center and ask them for it.