CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-09-2020
Med's Done....
04-11-2020
Update- Sorry, just checked your signature. Its good to know that they started Sep 17th and mine is sep 19th which is very close.
Did you checked that we can get passport extension as Emergency. My kid is also USA citizen and I did emergency passport extension while I was in USA. I am not sure if we have same services now in this COVID phase.

chakrat

Champion Member
May 29, 2018
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
VO OTTAWA
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-09-2020
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
05-09-2020
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
22-10-2020
Interview........
N/A
LANDED..........
21/04/2021

herrderringe

Star Member
Aug 15, 2016
UPDATE!!! I received the following request as a pdf letter in MyCIC account/IRCC account:

"We have begun processing your application for permanent residence, and in order to make a decision we require the following information/documents:
<my son (less than 10 yrs old, US citizen)> Passport/Travel Document: The passport that you have provided is expiring soon or is already expired. We require a passport with a validity of greater than six (6) months in order to assess your application. Please renew your passport, and provide a scanned copy of your new passport.
Please note that the requested information/documents must be received within 30 days from the date of this correspondence. Please upload these documents to your MyCIC account. If we do not receive the information/documents within 30 days, your application will be assessed based on the information we have on file, meaning your application could be refused as incomplete.
"

Question:
  1. Anyone else in the same boat? I have applied but the US embassy in Ottawa (anywhere in Canada) requires an in-person appointment and says it will take 6 weeks minimum after appointment and to get an appointment it will take 2-5 weeks. There is no way I can get my son's new passport in 30 days or even 90 days (even if I get the Covid extension).
  2. @legalfalcon Does this request give any indication at what processing stage am I in? Will they pause my application processing until I send my son's renewed passport or until the deadline of 30/90 days?
  3. If my Canadian PR goes through then does my (minor) son also get a Canadian PR? (PS: he is a US Citizen, by birth) Is that why they need the updated passport?
My plan:
  1. Send a webform request informing them that I will not be able to get my son's new passport in 30 days and provide the shipping label with confirmation that my son's passport application has reached the embassy (I don't have an appointment date yet)
  2. Wait for a response and upload whatever they ask to my MyCIC account
@legalfalcon Please help.
I was checking with US embassy for passport renewal for my daughter. following is the response they gave me. Please note the highlighted point.

Hello,

Thank you for your email requesting appointment for minor passport renewal services. Please be advised that due to high demand in passport services and the precautions in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we are unable to offer you an appointment at this time.  Currently all our appointments for minor passports are filled until January 2021 and we have not opened our February appointments.  Your name has been added to our wait list and we will contact you should an appointment become available. 

If your U.S. passport request is because you have a pending Canadian immigration application, please see the Government of Canada’s webpage for guidance on how they are processing cases for applicants who cannot provide a valid passport due to COVID-19 related problems.

Regards,
American Citizen Services (ns)

Reactions: OnceMore

Gnana12345

May 28, 2020
UPDATE!!! I received the following request as a pdf letter in MyCIC account/IRCC account:

"We have begun processing your application for permanent residence, and in order to make a decision we require the following information/documents:
<my son (less than 10 yrs old, US citizen)> Passport/Travel Document: The passport that you have provided is expiring soon or is already expired. We require a passport with a validity of greater than six (6) months in order to assess your application. Please renew your passport, and provide a scanned copy of your new passport.
Please note that the requested information/documents must be received within 30 days from the date of this correspondence. Please upload these documents to your MyCIC account. If we do not receive the information/documents within 30 days, your application will be assessed based on the information we have on file, meaning your application could be refused as incomplete.
"

Question:
  1. Anyone else in the same boat? I have applied but the US embassy in Ottawa (anywhere in Canada) requires an in-person appointment and says it will take 6 weeks minimum after appointment and to get an appointment it will take 2-5 weeks. There is no way I can get my son's new passport in 30 days or even 90 days (even if I get the Covid extension).
  2. @legalfalcon Does this request give any indication at what processing stage am I in? Will they pause my application processing until I send my son's renewed passport or until the deadline of 30/90 days?
  3. If my Canadian PR goes through then does my (minor) son also get a Canadian PR? (PS: he is a US Citizen, by birth) Is that why they need the updated passport?
My plan:
  1. Send a webform request informing them that I will not be able to get my son's new passport in 30 days and provide the shipping label with confirmation that my son's passport application has reached the embassy (I don't have an appointment date yet)
When is your kid's passport expiring?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

"

Question:
My plan:

2. It is difficult to predict as such at what stage your application is just by a document request. Instead send a webform or request your GCMS notes. If ny document is expiring or has expired, IRCC will ask for a replacement. This can be at time, including at the final stages. Depending on what stage your application is at, unless you send the document, your application is be on hold. If you need more time to provide the document, inform IRCC and seek an extension.

3. If you added your child as accompanying, then yes.

you plan sounds good.

Reactions: OnceMore

OnceMore

Star Member
Sep 2, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-09-2020
AOR Received.
17-09-2020
I was checking with US embassy for passport renewal for my daughter. following is the response they gave me. Please note the highlighted point.

Hello,

Thank you for your email requesting appointment for minor passport renewal services. Please be advised that due to high demand in passport services and the precautions in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we are unable to offer you an appointment at this time.  Currently all our appointments for minor passports are filled until January 2021 and we have not opened our February appointments.  Your name has been added to our wait list and we will contact you should an appointment become available. 

If your U.S. passport request is because you have a pending Canadian immigration application, please see the Government of Canada’s webpage for guidance on how they are processing cases for applicants who cannot provide a valid passport due to COVID-19 related problems.

Regards,
American Citizen Services (ns)
Thanks a lot for sharing this information. When did you receive this email? I am guessing it was before Jan this year. Just want to get an idea of how long the wait could be. I sent them the application last week, they said they will get in touch when an appointment slot opens up but didn't mention about waiting list or details like what you got.

For other members, here is the relevant info from @herrderringe 's post [NOTE: this may not be applicable in future, post-Covid]:
If you’re missing documents due to COVID-19 (such as police certificates, biometrics, passports and medical exams)
  • we won’t close or refuse any applications in progress
  • we’ll automatically give you an extra 90 days to send us the documents from the deadline in the request letter
    • this applies even if the letter says you only have 30 or 90 days
  • we’ll keep extending the deadline for another 90 days until you can get the documents
  • you don’t have to contact us to get this extension

OnceMore

Star Member
Sep 2, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-09-2020
AOR Received.
17-09-2020
When is your kid's passport expiring?
Early April.
I had just 6 months validity on the kid's passport when I submitted eAPR back in Sept last year. I expected slow processing but did not expect things to be soooooo slow! Also, figured I can renew US ppt by mail but there is a caveat that minors living in Canada need an in-person appointment for passport renewal, no exceptions!

Jiggy128

Oct 2, 2019
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
FSW EE With SINP OutLand (India)
NOC:3211
AOR- 31st August 2020
Medical Passed :13 th October 2020
BIl Request : 10 th October 2020
Completed: 9th December 2020 (Dubai)
Well I do know first time I am putting this information but any how on 27th january I raised web form regarding my file status
and on 15 th feb I got this which I am posting below

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information on file and can confirm that:

• Your application currently meets the eligibility requirements under the immigration program for which you have applied..
  • The security background verification has not been initiated.
  • The criminal background verification is currently valid.

Can anyone let me know status of my file ? How long It will take to COPR? Is this good sign or bad sign I have no idea.
Really appreciate if anyone put their insight on this.
Thank you

Gnana12345

May 28, 2020
Early April.
I had just 6 months validity on the kid's passport when I submitted eAPR back in Sept last year. I expected slow processing but did not expect things to be soooooo slow! Also, figured I can renew US ppt by mail but there is a caveat that minors living in Canada need an in-person appointment for passport renewal, no exceptions!
Got it. Then you can ask for an emergency passport which will get one year validity. Emergency passports will be provided on the same day of an appointment.

OnceMore

Star Member
Sep 2, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-09-2020
AOR Received.
17-09-2020
Got it. Then you can ask for an emergency passport which will get one year validity. Emergency passports will be provided on the same day of an appointment.
Appointments in US Embassy are not open, they put you on a waiting list and don't tell you your position or how fast the waiting list is moving etc. Not sure if this is applicable for an emergency passport. Also, not sure if emergency passport is acceptable for IRCC purposes, apparently some countries or agencies do not recognize this temporary emergency passport.
In any case, IRCC is giving recurring 90 day extensions for such cases so I am planning on using that. I hope they will not put my application on hold until I submit my son's renewed passport, that would SUCK!

chakrat

Champion Member
May 29, 2018
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
VO OTTAWA
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-09-2020
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
05-09-2020
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
22-10-2020
Interview........
N/A
LANDED..........
21/04/2021
Any progress update here - Eligibility or Security

Puttna03

Apr 25, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-09-2020
Med's Done....
04-11-2020
Any progress update here - Eligibility or Security
Still waiting for update. My AOR is Sep 19th and planning to call next week some time. Hopefully they will start my application tomorrow as per current trend.

Reactions: chakrat

ariocar

May 3, 2020
@legalfalcon Does the address change via webform increase the processing time for inland applicants or not necessarily?
I'm planning to move to another location just wondering should I do that or I just wait for the COPR and then move?

chakrat

Champion Member
May 29, 2018
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
VO OTTAWA
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-09-2020
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
05-09-2020
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
22-10-2020
Interview........
N/A
LANDED..........
21/04/2021
I just spoke to the CIC agent and no update. My eligibility has not started yet. My AOR is 30-Sep
try calling them either last week of February or first week of March