+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending PR card outside canada via courier ?

Omidahomie

Aug 23, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
September 4th, 2016
Nomination.....
CRS of 496
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
IELTS Request
Overall score of 8
Did a soft Landing on Nov 13, and left the country on the 10th of Dec. my family stayed back to collect the pr and come back to resident country . However due to change in plan thinking about doing a PR card courier outside Canada. Anyone done the same recently? All ok and safe with this method ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1/ PRs who have landed, and returned home. A friend/relative in Canada sends them their PR card. Read the forum, there is no where in the Act/Regulations that prohibit the mailing of PR cards outside Canada by anyone. (except IRCC won't mail it to an address outside Canada)

Reactions: Omidahomie

Omidahomie

Aug 23, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
September 4th, 2016
Nomination.....
CRS of 496
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
IELTS Request
Overall score of 8
Hi

1/ PRs who have landed, and returned home. A friend/relative in Canada sends them their PR card. Read the forum, there is no where in the Act/Regulations that prohibit the mailing of PR cards outside Canada by anyone. (except IRCC won't mail it to an address outside Canada)
Thanks. Will wait another week or so and bring my family back otherwise. Will either DHL or Fedex a pickup service from my registered mailing address.

maryamoj

Nov 22, 2016
Hello all,
I landed in Canada as a PR on 1st of September and left the country a month later.
Is it legal that one of my relatives whose address I have been using POSTS IT VIA COURIER MAIL?

I think it's clear to CIC that I did not have my PR card when a left Canada a month later. Would they ask me how I got it upon my return?

FReza

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
I am on the same boat. My friend has my PR card in Toronto, i am not sure if customs in any country would seize it. I want it to be couriered to Dubai. Any feedback with recent experience would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Suprabha

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017
I am on the same boat. My friend has my PR card in Toronto, i am not sure if customs in any country would seize it. I want it to be couriered to Dubai. Any feedback with recent experience would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Hi, How did u get ur PR card? was it sent to u by courier to Dubai?

FReza

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
Hi, How did u get ur PR card? was it sent to u by courier to Dubai?
Hi,
Luckily i had someone travelling, so got my card by hand. But as far as my research is, its alright to send it by courier.

Cheers

goodboy97

Feb 12, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Interview........
Not Required
So, what is the bottom line? Sending pr card via package carrier service ( FedEx, DHL, ups etc.) is legal?

goodboy97

Feb 12, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Interview........
Not Required
Hi

1. Yes, as explained there is no law against sending PR cards outside Canada.
Thanks a lot for the answer

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In general I concur in much of what is posted above. In particular, sending a Canadian PR card by courier is OK for probably a large majority of countries. And it is clear many do this without problem.

And, to be clear, so far as I am aware Canada does NOT prohibit doing this.

BUT IT WARRANTS A CAUTION THAT THE DESTINATION COUNTRY CAN MATTER

Some countries have more strict IMPORTATION rules, including as to official documents, and particularly so as to official Travel Documents. Technically the PR card is a status document, NOT a Travel Document (even though many refer to it as a travel document in general usage, given its primary use is to facilitate travel back to Canada), so whether it might run afoul of this or that country's rules, even if it is illegal to import Travel Documents this way, is very country specific.

Reminder: sending anything internationally is subject to the laws of BOTH the country from which it is sent (in this situation, that is Canadian law), and importation laws in the destination country. And, the importation laws for some countries are significantly more narrow and strict than Canadian law. There is a reason why IRCC utilizes the diplomatic process to send documents abroad beyond it merely being more secure and private.

I do not know which specific countries might be problematic. For example, I do not know that Russia, China, or ME countries impose any risk for this but they are among the countries I'd be cautious about and regarding which I suspect are worth doing some relevant homework about before sending a PR card there.

Edit to Add: the extent to which this is done successfully may also be more about a lack of enforcing rules than what the rules are. This is very common in this forum, reports about what is OK based not on what the rule is but on general experience.

For example, there are some strict rules governing sending currency or negotiable instruments (like checks) to the U.S., including when using couriers. I'd guess these rules are not complied with many, many thousands of times every month. Largely because the circumstances or quantities involved are not the real target. And because strict enforcement is very difficult. It appears that the rules are actually overly-broad and NOT applied or enforced UNLESS certain other criteria trigger application and enforcement. I've included cash or a check in birthday cards sent to the U.S. on more than a few occasions over the last two decades, including in courier packets for which the instructions remind one that they are not to be used for cash or negotiable instruments. No problem. None anticipated.

Without researching U.S. importation law, I'd guess that sending a Travel Document by courier to the U.S. is prohibited or subject to special declaration requirements. But again, the PR card is NOT officially a "Travel Document." Moreover, if someone left behind their passport, and had it sent by courier to them in the U.S., it is NOT likely there would be a problem. BUT my guess is that technically that is not OK, at least not without following particular procedures for importing such official documents by courier.

And it warrants remembering that there are more than a few other countries in the world which quite likely have far more strict importation laws and rules than the U.S. And, again, sending anything abroad is subject to the DESTINATION country's laws and rules, totally apart from what Canada's laws and rules are.

Last edited:

Ali3337

Jan 16, 2019
Hello All,

I have received my PR at my friends address in Canada, and he sent it to me through hand in my country. I am planning to go to Canada in March'19 with my PR card, just want to ask if there will be any problem at the immigration?

Does anyone has any experience to share?. Grateful for your advice. Thanks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello All,

I have received my PR at my friends address in Canada, and he sent it to me through hand in my country. I am planning to go to Canada in March'19 with my PR card, just want to ask if there will be any problem at the immigration?

As per the other answer to your question as a PR you are entitled to enter Canada so not sure why you think you will have any problem unless you have not met the residency obligation

JMZO

Jul 5, 2019
Hello All,

Hi, Ali. I just wanted to ask about your experience. How did it go when you arrive in March? Did you experience any issues entering the country?