+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending PR Card by Courier

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
I ecieved my COPR and need to come to canada before mar 2019.
I am thinking of coming to canada for 2 or 3 days and finish the landing formalities.

1.What questions or papers need to be signed on landing
2.Will the immgration officer ask me any questions regarding when will i go back or where will i stay.
3. Can i give my friends address for PR Card. And get it by mail to back home India. And, is it legal
4. What are the other important formalities that can be done and if so how quickly can it be done?
ex: SIN, Insurance etc

Please explain with details as it would be of great help. Thank you, waiting for your reply.
1. Has anything changed since you got CoPR (esp. the things mentioned on CoPR w.r.t. arrests, marriage, kids etc)? How much funds you have access to (may need PoF if asked)? Some general questions to verify information provided in application, but not necessary that they will. Answer honestly and carry ALL documents you used during EE application submission just in case. It's unlikely they will ask for details. Keep the mindset that you will move to Canada as soon as you can permanently and answer accordingly, without lying about anything.
2. Not likely. But if asked, say you intend to go back to finish your affairs and come to Canada permanently. Everyone does it.
3. You can give any residential address. Your friend will need to courier it to you once s/he gets it. It is legal. I have done it.
4. SIN (in Service Canada office, nor Service Ontario (or other province) office). It's crowded so give it half a day atleast. Bank accounts, look for apartments if you wish. Meet/Make new friends.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hi mate,
Just need a small advise on PRTD, I will be very grateful if you can advise. I will be soon flying back post my soft landing and will apply for the travel document straight away when I reach my homeland. Is that ok? Or should I wait for PR card to arrive to my cousins mailbox in Canada?
Also I hope PRTD is straight forward process (applying from uk).
Thanks
You should apply for PRTD as soon as you return. Here in the US, it took me less than a week to receive it.
PR card can take 2 months (more if your photos are not per specification).

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Cheers mate ... really helpful.... in my case it will be a bit more than 3-4 months to return:)... for the PRTD app do we just need to supplement a copy of copr landing paper and sin number?
CoPR (stamped), SIN (if you have it), PR visa (which will be canceled with a pen), boarding passes demonstrating how long you were there, hotel booking to prove you were physically there, bank account documents if you open one, to prove physical presence etc.

Reactions: tobs

varungorur2005

Nov 8, 2012
Visa Office......
CIC Delhi
Not based on personal experience but think you are overthinking things given it is not illegal to mail a PR card anywhere in the world let alone just from Canada to the US, just IRCC will not do that directly.

For any description you could as others have said here just put document as description of content and even leave in the original envelope inside the fedex one just to protect the card much same as any other card through the mail or buy a birthday card or any other card and put inside the fedex envelope to protect it.

As for black paper and aluminium maybe been watching too many TV reality shows and anyway customs have better things to do than scan every piece of mail for a PR card RFID chip.
Hi @Bs65. I think a lot of you are speaking about mailing the cards outside the country, which i feel is a secondary concern. The primary concern is the immigration officer not letting you to provide someone else's address. I mean i saw a post here from someone who said that the immigration officer specifically asked him if he will be in Canada to personally collect the PR card and if not then to apply for PRTD once he's back home. Also, another article i have seen, where a letter was sent to the address provided, by CIC, to go their office to collect the PR card with their valid ID proof. Any comments on this as I am quite worried.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi @Bs65. I think a lot of you are speaking about mailing the cards outside the country, which i feel is a secondary concern. The primary concern is the immigration officer not letting you to provide someone else's address. I mean i saw a post here from someone who said that the immigration officer specifically asked him if he will be in Canada to personally collect the PR card and if not then to apply for PRTD once he's back home. Also, another article i have seen, where a letter was sent to the address provided, by CIC, to go their office to collect the PR card with their valid ID proof. Any comments on this as I am quite worried.
How would the immigration officer know this is address of someone else if you do not disclose?

varungorur2005

Nov 8, 2012
Visa Office......
CIC Delhi
How would the immigration officer know this is address of someone else if you do not disclose?
Even if i pass through that check, wont the courier person asks for ID proof when delivering the card? or if you are planning to post the card abroad, wont it be caught due to RFID chip?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if i pass through that check, wont the courier person asks for ID proof when delivering the card? or if you are planning to post the card abroad, wont it be caught due to RFID chip?
No, the PR card would be delivered by regular mail. No ID proof is required unless for some reasons you have to pick it up from post office.

Also, a friend of mine sent my wife's PR card abroad by courier last March and received safely.

varungorur2005

Nov 8, 2012
Visa Office......
CIC Delhi
No, the PR card would be delivered by regular mail. No ID proof is required unless for some reasons you have to pick it up from post office.

Also, a friend of mine sent my wife's PR card abroad by courier last March and received safely.
Thank you. How often do they call you to come to their office/ post office to collect the card? What happens if you dont go and then you apply for PRTD as you'll be outside the country?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you. How often do they call you to come to their office/ post office to collect the card? What happens if you dont go and then you apply for PRTD as you'll be outside the country?
I don't have the statistics. One of the reasons you might need to visit the post office to collect the card (together with other regular mail) is that your communal mailbox became unsafe and every resident in your community had to come to get their mail at the local post office. I think the mail would be returned to the sender if they don't pick up in a certain timeframe.

Reactions: varungorur2005

KLM2308

Feb 19, 2016
I have a question regarding a 10 year visa's validity while making travel arrangements for a granted COPR...

here's my situation:
- need to arrive in Canada for COPR early Jan.2019; already made travel arrangements to arrive in Nov.2018; meaning I should be expecting my PR card to arrive in the mail by Jan.2019? (factoring in Christmas and such)...

- for work reasons, I will need to leave Canada in Dec.2018 before Christmas, so like most people here I am planning to have the PR card FedEx-ed to me. Can I apply for my PRTD now? Even before showing up in Canada for my COPR?

- I'm also holding a Chinese passport with a 10 year tourist visa; does this granting of my PR status void/cancel my visa? (techincally, I guess I'm still not "granted" PR status since I still haven't shown up for my "confirmation"... but after I'm "confirmed/granted" and am waiting for my PR card, I suppose this means I'm not a tourist anymore thus making my 10 year visa invalid?)

thanks for your help/replies in advance!

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Where is this RFID thing coming from? I hope you do realize that you need to have the PR card with you if you travel overseas after getting your PR card and want to return back to Canada. What do you think happens to the RFID then?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I think that Canada post and Canada Customs have far more important issues to deal with than to scan every piece of letter mail leaving the country for the odd PR card with an RFID chip. Why would they anyway given it is not illegal for an individual to mail a card outside of the country just that IRCC will not do so understandably given as a PR it would be expected that an individual is in Canada to receive or collect the card.

As for usinig someone elses address as posted above how would CBSA or IRCC know anything if you give an address with the PR card applicants name as the recipient even if the address belongs to a friend, easily explained as a temporary address for mail until settled.

You are always going to get the odd CBSA officer who likes to follow the exact guidelines but generally they are not stupid and would not expect someone fresh off the plane to have a permanent mailing address for the card. If someone admits to be doing a soft landing then maybe there will be a refusal to process a PR card application at that time, but with CBSA general rule is unless asked do not volunteer information.

As for a courier requiring a signature when delivering to an outside Canada destination that depends I guess on the courier company, some just deliver to an address and get whomever answers the door to sign for things.

jetsons

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Yes, I used FedEx. No issues. I chose personal and provided very important documents for description. Didn't put anything inside the envelope other than unopened PR card mails for my family.
Hi,

Can you please list down the details as to how to generate a return label with fedex/ups.
I was also curious if the labels would also have commercial invoices when we generate it.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi,

Can you please list down the details as to how to generate a return label with fedex/ups.
I was also curious if the labels would also have commercial invoices when we generate it.
Yes it'll automatically generate commercial invoice when you create the label. Just create a FedEx account and start generating label. Give from address as Canadian address and to address as US address. Declare the value as $1.. choose shipping option. When you press submit or next (don't remember exactly), it'll generate the label along with commercial invoice. Just print everything and take to store. They'll enclose it properly.

Remember this is only way to generate return label. Stores in US cannot do it for you. You can also visit a Fedex store with self service kiosk and take their help to create the label. They'll print it free for you.

Reactions: jetsons

jetsons

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Yes it'll automatically generate commercial invoice when you create the label. Just create a FedEx account and start generating label. Give from address as Canadian address and to address as US address. Declare the value as $1.. choose shipping option. When you press submit or next (don't remember exactly), it'll generate the label along with commercial invoice. Just print everything and take to store. They'll enclose it properly.

Remember this is only way to generate return label. Stores in US cannot do it for you. You can also visit a Fedex store with self service kiosk and take their help to create the label. They'll print it free for you.
Thanks a lot deepcur for the prompt reply. I didn't get the part "They'll enclose it properly". I was thinking once i have generated the labels and invoice i will email it to my friends. Just wanted to check is there any reason why you probably shipped the labels to your friend?

Sorry for being intrusive. I just want to avoid any blunders at this stage with the pr cards