+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending PR Card by Courier

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Yes I did :)
Hey I have some questions. Which courier company did your friends/relatives use to send the cards from Canada? Also courier companies would ask for what is inside the envelope if it's international mail. What did your sender mention there? Also what value was declared?

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
I used DHL, but you can use any courier service that operates between US and Canada.

And no, courier companies don't ask anything. Just say "very important documents" if they do. I don't remember value declared, but I think it should be $0; this is upto you I think. I just gave a prepaid envelope+mailing label attached to my sender and she put the card in, sealed it, and dropped it off with DHL.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Hey I have some questions. Which courier company did your friends/relatives use to send the cards from Canada? Also courier companies would ask for what is inside the envelope if it's international mail. What did your sender mention there? Also what value was declared?
They are just concerned about commercial value for import duty etc. I would expect these to be 0.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I used DHL, but you can use any courier service that operates between US and Canada.

And no, courier companies don't ask anything. Just say "very important documents" if they do. I don't remember value declared, but I think it should be $0; this is upto you I think. I just gave a prepaid envelope+mailing label attached to my sender and she put the card in, sealed it, and dropped it off with DHL.
Thanks.

I have few more questions:

1) I am going to use FedEX. I need to choose the nature of documents to be included where they have immigration documents too. I don't want to sound too explicit with it. Can I choose 'Legal Documents' instead ? Or can I choose other and give very important personal documents?

2) Did you include newspapers along with PR cards while sending?

3) Also did you have the PR envelope opened or unopened? Because it says do not forward in the envelope. Will there be an issue if CBSA looks the envelope as is, because in a way mail is getting forwarded

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Thanks.

1) I am going to use FedEX. I need to choose the nature of documents to be included where they have immigration documents too. I don't want to sound too explicit with it. Can I choose 'Legal Documents' instead ? Or can I choose other and give very important personal documents?

3) Also did you have the PR envelope opened or unopened? Because it says do not forward in the envelope. Will there be an issue if CBSA looks the envelope as is, because in a way mail is getting forwarded
1) You can say "Documents", "personal papers", or something. If you are worried that someone will open and steal them, that doesn't happen. The only people who can open your package are customs.

2) Newspapers? I don't get it

3) PR envelope was unopened. And as far as I can tell, the DHL package was also unopened. The mail forwarding statement is for when you change the address and tell post office to forward it to new address. The post office is not supposed to forward it from your old to your new address in Canada.

pk46

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks.

Hello Deepcur,

Did you use FeDex? Please share your experience.

Reactions: jetsons

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hello Deepcur,

Did you use FeDex? Please share your experience.
Yes, I used FedEx. No issues. I chose personal and provided very important documents for description. Didn't put anything inside the envelope other than unopened PR card mails for my family.

Reactions: pk46

afrina3103

Jul 8, 2018
Yes, I used FedEx. No issues. I chose personal and provided very important documents for description. Didn't put anything inside the envelope other than unopened PR card mails for my family.
Hey, how did it go with customs? I need to get my PR card mailed from Canada to USA too.. Did you use the FedEx express mail overnight? How long it took to get the PR card? Does it have any chip or magnetic stuff that can recognize it during scans? Did you enclose it within any black paper or aluminium etc..?

Sorry for too many questions....

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hey, how did it go with customs? I need to get my PR card mailed from Canada to USA too.. Did you use the FedEx express mail overnight? How long it took to get the PR card? Does it have any chip or magnetic stuff that can recognize it during scans? Did you enclose it within any black paper or aluminium etc..?

Sorry for too many questions....
Not based on personal experience but think you are overthinking things given it is not illegal to mail a PR card anywhere in the world let alone just from Canada to the US, just IRCC will not do that directly.

For any description you could as others have said here just put document as description of content and even leave in the original envelope inside the fedex one just to protect the card much same as any other card through the mail or buy a birthday card or any other card and put inside the fedex envelope to protect it.

As for black paper and aluminium maybe been watching too many TV reality shows and anyway customs have better things to do than scan every piece of mail for a PR card RFID chip.

Last edited:
Reactions: nrsinquest

hassaan_anwar

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-07-2017
Guys did anyone use DHL/Fedex to send PR card? Any issues ? DHL ppl said it was fine and that i will just need to declare a nominal value as the card has a chip in it and it will be physically inspected. I plan to send the card to UAE.

Aug 20, 2018
I am awaiting my PR card to come to USA from Canada (I already have a PRTD so not worried as much). My question is whether Customs (outgoing customs, not incoming Immigration (CBSA) in particular) will care if a PR card is going outside Canada through any courier service? I.e., I don't know if CBSA is the agency responsible for checking outgoing packages, if at all, or especially if they x-ray individual packages like they do at airports, or if a RFID enabled PR card bleeps or something while passing through? I honestly don't know how customs check small outgoing envelopes from DHL, but if anyone has any idea then please elaborate. I think it's unlikely that PR cards get seized either on Canadian/US side since I haven't read anybody saying so.
I am awaiting my PR card to come to USA from Canada (I already have a PRTD so not worried as much). My question is whether Customs (outgoing customs, not incoming Immigration (CBSA) in particular) will care if a PR card is going outside Canada through any courier service? I.e., I don't know if CBSA is the agency responsible for checking outgoing packages, if at all, or especially if they x-ray individual packages like they do at airports, or if a RFID enabled PR card bleeps or something while passing through? I honestly don't know how customs check small outgoing envelopes from DHL, but if anyone has any idea then please elaborate. I think it's unlikely that PR cards get seized either on Canadian/US side since I haven't read anybody saying so.
Hi mate,
Just need a small advise on PRTD, I will be very grateful if you can advise. I will be soon flying back post my soft landing and will apply for the travel document straight away when I reach my homeland. Is that ok? Or should I wait for PR card to arrive to my cousins mailbox in Canada?
Also I hope PRTD is straight forward process (applying from uk).
Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi mate,
Just need a small advise on PRTD, I will be very grateful if you can advise. I will be soon flying back post my soft landing and will apply for the travel document straight away when I reach my homeland. Is that ok? Or should I wait for PR card to arrive to my cousins mailbox in Canada?
Also I hope PRTD is straight forward process (applying from uk).
Thanks
No problem in doing that just depends on how long you plan to stay in UK. If you will be there somewhat longer than the average 6-8 weeks it takes for an initial card plus say a week to forward to UK then maybe wait.

If your plans are to return sooner then apply for a PRTD as soon as you get back to the UK, it is a pretty straightforward application and you have no worries about residency obligation plus is a fail safe if your card takes longer than average.

vishal113

Aug 21, 2018
I ecieved my COPR and need to come to canada before mar 2019.
I am thinking of coming to canada for 2 or 3 days and finish the landing formalities.

1.What questions or papers need to be signed on landing
2.Will the immgration officer ask me any questions regarding when will i go back or where will i stay.
3. Can i give my friends address for PR Card. And get it by mail to back home India. And, is it legal
4. What are the other important formalities that can be done and if so how quickly can it be done?
ex: SIN, Insurance etc

Please explain with details as it would be of great help. Thank you, waiting for your reply.

Aug 20, 2018
No problem in doing that just depends on how long you plan to stay in UK. If you will be there somewhat longer than the average 6-8 weeks it takes for an initial card plus say a week to forward to UK then maybe wait.

If your plans are to return sooner then apply for a PRTD as soon as you get back to the UK, it is a pretty straightforward application and you have no worries about residency obligation plus is a fail safe if your card takes longer than average.
Cheers mate ... really helpful.... in my case it will be a bit more than 3-4 months to return:)... for the PRTD app do we just need to supplement a copy of copr landing paper and sin number?