VISA ISSUED...
04-01-2018
LANDED..........
07-04-2018

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Hi,

We have Indian passports for me and my wife, but my child has a US passport. I received a request for passports about 15 days ago.

Do I need to send my child passport as well or just a photocopy? Will, sending a US passport through mail going to be any problem at customs on return package?

Any help or personal experience would be of great help.
You should just send a copy for US passport.

iPunjabi

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
London, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-10-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-10-2017
Passport Req..
01-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-01-2018
LANDED..........
07-04-2018

iPunjabi

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
London, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-10-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-10-2017
Passport Req..
01-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-01-2018
LANDED..........
07-04-2018
Hey I am in a similar situation. I wanted to know how long it took to get the passport back?
Yes, please check my signature for my timeline

rr88

Star Member
Mar 29, 2017
This forum is a blessing! Thanks @APPNOV2014NY for redirecting me to this thread.

1, Currently I reside in US. I spent a whole day in with UPS and FedEx to buy 2 prepaid envelops and no luck. (Unlike if you were in Canada, you can just buy two Express envelops). They were not able to generate return label from their machine as well.

2, After reading this thread, I registered a FedEx account, created a outbound and a inbound label. Went to a FedEx store, print everything out, and the clerk took care from there. Get the right size envelop, put pouches in, put proper papers in etc.

3, The commercial invoice is really a red tape, I signed both outbound and a inbound invoices as per suggested by the clerk.

4 more weeks to LAND!

wolfman2017

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
AOR Received.
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
27-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2015
Hi, so do we just mention the sender as "CIC" and sign with our name in the return commercial invoice? or should the sender name also be mentioned as my name? thank you!
Yes mention sender as CIC and recipient as you. You will need to sign the invoice.

Reactions: alexross

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Yes mention sender as CIC and recipient as you. You will need to sign the invoice.
Thank you, appreciate it! so just to make sure I understand it correctly, there should be no problem with the sender being CIC, but the signature being Alex Ross?

kvin1087

Star Member
Jun 9, 2017
Hi guys,

I got my passport request on 1st February. I have mailed CIC Ottawa all the necessary documents along with a return envelope on 5th February. I forgot to add the return label inside the package. I was unaware of it, and came to know today that I had to generate the return label from the fedex account manager. I have emailed CIC about this today and have also attached the return label in the email.

Has anyone come across this issue before? Would there be a problem?

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Hi Akki045,

Congratulations!!
I am in a similar boat as yourself (Indian residing in US). It seems many people do send their passports out of the country. Sharing my experience below:

I personally used FedEx. In brief: I created an online fedex account ( a personal account), and using the FedEx Ship Manager (not the Ship Manager Lite), created a shipment which included a return label. I also opted for the commercial invoice to be generated for both onward and return packages as I had heard that some people (who had sent their passports to Ottawa from US) had reported that they were asked by CIC to provide a new shipping label with a commercial invoice.

You can use the passport processing tracker on myimmitracker here: https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/passport-processing-tracker
to get an idea of the kind of wait times experienced by ppl.

TLDR:
The shipping labels created with selecting a package type of an envelope, along with a document type of immigration papers declared at value of $1 for both onward and return packages. I had purchased one large bubble-wrap envelop (which could take 11" x 17" sized docs) for the onward package and a medium bubble wrap envelope (which could take a 11" x 8.5" doc). For the package type, I measured the bubble wraps envelopes that I had and put those dimensions in as custom. I collected all docs (pport, photos, annex a, return envelop), took everything together and wrote a simple cover letter explaining the documents and artefacts included.

The Fedex shipment gave me quite a few documents printed out.

4 labels for the onward shipment, 2 commercial invoices for the onward shipment. I made sure everything on the onward label was correct, and signed the two commercial invoices and included them in the standard fedex ziploc pouches that affix on top of the envelope (they just give you a couple of those at the fedex locations if you ask for them).

I affixed a similar ziploc pouch on the return envelope. I put the 3 return labels within the pouch.

I took:
Coverletter
The passports
Photographs
annex A
fedex return shipment instructions
fedex return commercial invoice (separate from the labels that were put into the return envelope's pouch since they had to be signed by the person returning)
return envelope with return labels within the pouch,​
and put all of the above on the onward and sent the package. The cover letter that I wrote , explained exactly what each thing was.

Hope that helped even though am a bit late.
Hi Systix,

I have 3 questions for you, I hope you can help please:

1.) While creating the onward shipping label, there are two checkboxes to be checked: 1.) Customs invoice 2.) proforma invoice. Do we select only customs invoice?

2.) Also, there is a terms of sale drop down where there are option like free carrier, carriage insurance paid, carriage paid to, exworks, delivered duty paid, delivered at place, delivered at terminal, others. Which one do we need to select?

3.) There is also one more check box i am a little confused about: "the recipient is not the importer of record/buyer", do we leave this unchecked as well?

I would really appreciate your help with this questions. Thank you!

KvSiva

Dec 25, 2017
Hello everyone,

My PPR email specifically mentions that I should be using USPS to send the passports.

Can I still use fedex or ups in this case?