+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending passport from USA to Canada

sagarp20

Jan 25, 2020
Guys, I have submitted my passport last week. It was delivered on Friday. Do the IRCC send any confirmation or acknowledgement of passport delivery?

imi2canada

Dec 10, 2020
I am trying to generate return label through Fedex Shipping Manager Lite. It does not have any option to select "return label" and asks me to select shipping date. I am sure that date will pass by when IRCC will send the passport back. Will shipping label remain valid?

I tried advance shipping manager but it is not clear to me how to generate commercial invoice there as commodity information section does not have any option for documents.

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
Hi Akki045,

Congratulations!!
I am in a similar boat as yourself (Indian residing in US). It seems many people do send their passports out of the country. Sharing my experience below:

I personally used FedEx. In brief: I created an online fedex account ( a personal account), and using the FedEx Ship Manager (not the Ship Manager Lite), created a shipment which included a return label. I also opted for the commercial invoice to be generated for both onward and return packages as I had heard that some people (who had sent their passports to Ottawa from US) had reported that they were asked by CIC to provide a new shipping label with a commercial invoice.

You can use the passport processing tracker on myimmitracker here: https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/passport-processing-tracker
to get an idea of the kind of wait times experienced by ppl.

TLDR:
The shipping labels created with selecting a package type of an envelope, along with a document type of immigration papers declared at value of $1 for both onward and return packages. I had purchased one large bubble-wrap envelop (which could take 11" x 17" sized docs) for the onward package and a medium bubble wrap envelope (which could take a 11" x 8.5" doc). For the package type, I measured the bubble wraps envelopes that I had and put those dimensions in as custom. I collected all docs (pport, photos, annex a, return envelop), took everything together and wrote a simple cover letter explaining the documents and artefacts included.

The Fedex shipment gave me quite a few documents printed out.

4 labels for the onward shipment, 2 commercial invoices for the onward shipment. I made sure everything on the onward label was correct, and signed the two commercial invoices and included them in the standard fedex ziploc pouches that affix on top of the envelope (they just give you a couple of those at the fedex locations if you ask for them).

I affixed a similar ziploc pouch on the return envelope. I put the 3 return labels within the pouch.

I took:
Coverletter​
The passports​
Photographs​
annex A​
fedex return shipment instructions​
fedex return commercial invoice (separate from the labels that were put into the return envelope's pouch since they had to be signed by the person returning)​
return envelope with return labels within the pouch,​
and put all of the above on the onward and sent the package. The cover letter that I wrote , explained exactly what each thing was.

Hope that helped even though am a bit late.
Hi folks! Sorry for reviving a 3 years old thread. I am in the same boat right now. I need to send my passport from U.S to Canada and had a couple of quick questions. It'd be very helpful if someone could please respond to these.

1. The address where I have been asked to send my passport is a P.O box address (CPC – Ottawa – PR P.O. Box 8781). While sending, I am putting this address as the recipient, but what address should I include in the "FROM" field of the return label that I send along? Is it okay to put a P.O box address in the "FROM" field? Also, the address CPC – Ottawa – PR P.O. Box 8781 is the only address mentioned on the letter sent to me as the address where passport should be sent, there is no mention of the return "from" address. The page (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/where-submit-passport/cross-border-shipment-instructions.html) quotes a different address than the one listed on my letter. So which one to use?

2. In the FedEx commercial invoice, there is a field "terms of sale", with a drop down menu of various options (Free Carrier, Delivered Duty Unpaid, etc). I called FedEx and they suggested to use "Free Carrier", but I wasn't sure if they completely understood the context. Does anyone have an advice on what to choose?

Thanks a lot!

imi2canada

Dec 10, 2020
Hi folks! Sorry for reviving a 3 years old thread. I am in the same boat right now. I need to send my passport from U.S to Canada and had a couple of quick questions. It'd be very helpful if someone could please respond to these.

1. The address where I have been asked to send my passport is a P.O box address (CPC – Ottawa – PR P.O. Box 8781). While sending, I am putting this address as the recipient, but what address should I include in the "FROM" field of the return label that I send along? Is it okay to put a P.O box address in the "FROM" field? Also, the address CPC – Ottawa – PR P.O. Box 8781 is the only address mentioned on the letter sent to me as the address where passport should be sent, there is no mention of the return "from" address. The page (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/where-submit-passport/cross-border-shipment-instructions.html) quotes a different address than the one listed on my letter. So which one to use?

2. In the FedEx commercial invoice, there is a field "terms of sale", with a drop down menu of various options (Free Carrier, Delivered Duty Unpaid, etc). I called FedEx and they suggested to use "Free Carrier", but I wasn't sure if they completely understood the context. Does anyone have an advice on what to choose?

Thanks a lot!
1. I used instruction from here for return label. Cross border shipment instructions - Canada.ca
2. Used Fedex Ship Manager Lite so did not see these options.

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
Hey @imi2canada , thanks a lot for your response and help, really appreciate it. I'm facing a different and a bigger problem now, could you please weigh in?

My passport letter request states a different address that the one on Cross border shipment instructions - Canada.ca. My letter states to send the passports to a P.O box address (CPC – Ottawa – PR P.O. Box 8781). FedEx employees are repeatedly saying that if the recipient is a P.O box address, then they need a valid recipient phone number. The delivery person needs to call on that number to get the delivery address and without that, they won't be able to deliver.

The problem is that there is no IRCC phone number. This page clearly states to provide my own phone number instead of IRCC phone number. FedEx says that if I do that then the delivery person will call me and ask for an address. I'm not sure if the FedEx employees are wrong or not, but I live in the U.S on a visa and it feels very scary to mail my passport with this doubt. If it gets stuck, I could be doomed.

Could you or anyone please advise and help? Was the address in your passport letter a PO box address or was it "365 Laurier Ave West"? In case you also had a P.O box address, what did you do? Any advise either way?. My deadline is approaching and I'm quite scared. I'd be very grateful and indebted for any help. Thank you very much.

imi2canada

Dec 10, 2020
I actually rece
Hey @imi2canada , thanks a lot for your response and help, really appreciate it. I'm facing a different and a bigger problem now, could you please weigh in?

My passport letter request states a different address that the one on Cross border shipment instructions - Canada.ca. My letter states to send the passports to a P.O box address (CPC – Ottawa – PR P.O. Box 8781). FedEx employees are repeatedly saying that if the recipient is a P.O box address, then they need a valid recipient phone number. The delivery person needs to call on that number to get the delivery address and without that, they won't be able to deliver.

The problem is that there is no IRCC phone number. This page clearly states to provide my own phone number instead of IRCC phone number. FedEx says that if I do that then the delivery person will call me and ask for an address. I'm not sure if the FedEx employees are wrong or not, but I live in the U.S on a visa and it feels very scary to mail my passport with this doubt. If it gets stuck, I could be doomed.

Could you or anyone please advise and help? Was the address in your passport letter a PO box address or was it "365 Laurier Ave West"? In case you also had a P.O box address, what did you do? Any advise either way?. My deadline is approaching and I'm quite scared. I'd be very grateful and indebted for any help. Thank you very much.
I had only recently sent the document using Fedex based on information I received in this forum. But it did not get delivered and was returned. Fedex tracing department says that they don't deliver to PO Box. So I suggest you send it via USPS.

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
I actually rece

I had only recently sent the document using Fedex based on information I received in this forum. But it did not get delivered and was returned. Fedex tracing department says that they don't deliver to PO Box. So I suggest you send it via USPS.
Hi @imi2canada, thanks a lot for your help and reply. Can you please share the following info?

1. Which address did you send the passport to that it got returned? Was it to a PO box address?
2. If you sent it to a PO box address, then what recipient phone number did you use - your own number, or, any IRCC number?
3. Did you finally send it again using USPS and it got delivered correctly?

Thanks a lot.

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
Same here, passport delivered to Ottawa on Monday, Signed by Ken. No news yet.... fingers crossed. do let me know if you have any updates!
Thanks for sharing your experience @hopefulnewbie . Could you please share the below? It'd be very helpful.

1. What address was mentioned in your passport request letter and to which address did you send your passport?
2. Did you use FedEx or any other postal service?

My passport letter request mentions a P.O box address and FedEx is saying that they do not deliver to P.O box addresses. Thanks a lot.

hopefulnewbie

Star Member
Jun 26, 2020
Thanks for sharing your experience @hopefulnewbie . Could you please share the below? It'd be very helpful.

1. What address was mentioned in your passport request letter and to which address did you send your passport?

My passport letter request mentions a P.O box address and FedEx is saying that they do not deliver to P.O box addresses. Thanks a lot.
1. My instruction letter asked to send it here :
CPCO – PR VISA
US Permanent /Temporary Residence VISA/Passports
365 Laurier Av. West
Ottawa ON
K1A 1L1
2. I used FedEx

imi2canada

Dec 10, 2020

Did you send your documents? If yes, to which address PO Box or 365 Laurier Av. ? Were it delivered and accepted by IRCC?

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
Did you send your documents? If yes, to which address PO Box or 365 Laurier Av. ? Were it delivered and accepted by IRCC?
Actually, it was quite a confusion. I finally decided to send to PO box address, since that's what my letter instructed clearly and many folks said that theirs did get delivered to the PO box. I gave IRCC's generic phone number (and mine in addition) as recipient phone number. However, it showed FedEx delivery exception, that package cannot be delivered. I had to talk to FedEx customer care quite a few times and explain them that this PO box is valid, but they insisted that they do not deliver to this PO box. They themselves suggested that we will deliver it to the 365 Laurier Av. address instead. They said all the mails for IRCC go there. So I agreed and they changed my label to 365 Laurier Av. eventually without returning it to me.

However, the next day, the package was ultimately delivered to a third address - "2303 STEVENAGE DR", some 20 minutes away from Laurier address. I was surprised and called FedEx, but then I found that all the packages/mails to the Laurier address are first sent to this address. It is some sort of a sorting facility and all packages are first sent here and only from there they go to Laurier address. I found some other posts saying the same - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/fedex-delivered-to-2303-stevenage-ottawa-on-k1g5b3.554353/

Anyhow, so long story short, I gave PO box address, but it was finally changed to Laurier address by Ottawa's local FedEx officials and finally delivered it to this new address. Now I have no clue what's happening after that, since there is no way to track things beyond that. FedEx status is complete and return label has not yet been activated. So also kinda scared a bit.

pjain64

Feb 19, 2020
Same here, passport delivered to Ottawa on Monday, Signed by Ken. No news yet.... fingers crossed. do let me know if you have any updates!
Hey @imi2canada @hopefulnewbie @guruguru1989 - Any updates on either of your cases?

1. Did you already receive the passports back? Or Did your return label get activated and do you know if the passport has been sent back?
2. Once FedEx showed it delivered, did you get any confirmation from IRCC acknowledging the receipt of the passport?

hopefulnewbie

Star Member
Jun 26, 2020
Hey @imi2canada @hopefulnewbie @guruguru1989 - Any updates on either of your cases?

1. Did you already receive the passports back? Or Did your return label get activated and do you know if the passport has been sent back?
2. Once FedEx showed it delivered, did you get any confirmation from IRCC acknowledging the receipt of the passport?
We are all in the same boat till now.... Nothing else till date after Fedex delivery. My passport was delivered 21 December and nothing since. I called IRCC twice already the last time was this Wednesday, the agent said due to covid and the holiday's things are slow. I should just wait and be PATIENT. so nothing yet from my end.