+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

karenn1617

May 29, 2015
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Hi,
One single question - Is IELTS is a compulsion? I didn't read anywhere that it is must to give.
Please clarify.
Thanks.

itsmeParis

Apr 11, 2018
Hope someone here can show us how they gathered the documents when they submitted the application to CIC. Did you put it in the plastic envelope? Or plastic folder? Paper envelope? And also, when attaching all the documents where it stapled together or clip? Or no staple at all. Hope someone can answer my inquiry. Thank you again so much in advance.

Nornor

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Hope someone here can show us how they gathered the documents when they submitted the application to CIC. Did you put it in the plastic envelope? Or plastic folder? Paper envelope? And also, when attaching all the documents where it stapled together or clip? Or no staple at all. Hope someone can answer my inquiry. Thank you again so much in advance.
This has been answered a previous thread, check the last two or three threads. I put mine in transparent folders then put everything in an A4 envelope as instructed. I did not staple but used paper clips to attach the passport photos.

Nornor

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Hi @karenn1617 ….like @jimshady mentioned above, IELTS is not compulsory. It just add to your points. If you need the additional points, then go for it. Otherwise, you can skip.....
You guys keep saying IELTS is not needed but I wonder, if it wasnt a requirement would CIC include it on the checklist? I think we should stop advising people not to put it, I've seen someone get an ADR for IELTS...

Hola4bola

Mar 7, 2019
Hi guys, In the instructions for mailing, it says include 2 self addressed mailing labels, what exactly does this mean? Also, did you mail your application to the p.o.box , or a specific address.
Thanks

BaNana82

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Nairobi
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
14-10-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
24-06-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
I agree with @Palamon said.
they look into whether you can sustain yourself/your family in Canada without a job - as a self employed business/individual. that entails quite a bit - new business development, business management, accounts etc. plus hopefully create future employment for others.
I respectfully disagree. This is mostly due to the fact that I managed to immigrate using this stream despite not ever having been self employed. The reasons why I applied despite never being self employed are several. If you actually read the qualification requirements here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/self-employed/eligibility.html you will note they qualify eligibility as having "taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level". No mention of needing self employed experience (that's for the second group that qualify). They go on and clarify that the experience should be "2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities". Note that it says participating and not self-employed. @Nornor already broke down what they mean by "world class" earlier. It's upon the applicant to prove they meet that criteria

Also if you look at the operation manual that guides processing of self employed cases here, they break it down further saying
The self-employed applicant is one who:  has relevant experience; and  has the intention and ability to be self–employed in Canada; and  intends to make a significant contribution in specified economic activities as defined in the Regulations through either: o self-employment in cultural activities; o self-employment in athletics, or; o self-employment in the purchase and management of a farm.
That's in section 11.2. So essentially if you can make the case that your employed experience is relevant and you have the intention to be self employed in Canada then you meet the qualification criteria. Having self employed experience is NOT NEEDED but is just one of the several ways you can qualify for this stream. Hope that helps

BaNana82

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Nairobi
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
14-10-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
24-06-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
I am a fashion designer and I have a post graduate diploma certificate in this line however, I am not a self employed individual currently and I work in the as a designer and product development manager in a company for past 10 years.I have experience of staring many companies in past and I have worked in various capacities but not as a self employed person but as a full time employee. Can I still apply under this programme. Please advise.
Just go through the description of the fashion designer NOC here and see if it describes what you do. If it does then yes you can apply under this programme. Just ensure you're very clear in describing your job and duties in your application because that description will determine your eligibility. Also you need to describe why you feel you meet the definition "world class".

In a nutshell you just have to be convincing in explaining to the processing officer how you meet the eligibility requirements for this programme. That's 90% of the journey in my opinion so think about it carefully and prepare accordingly. Hope that helps

Reactions: Nornor
Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2018
LANDED..........
15-04-2019
Please include IELTS results with your application. Even if they don't specifically ask for it, it could be what tips your application over from the point of refusal to acceptance. You just never know. I strongly recommend including IELTS results in your application.

Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2018
LANDED..........
15-04-2019
Hi guys, In the instructions for mailing, it says include 2 self addressed mailing labels, what exactly does this mean? Also, did you mail your application to the p.o.box , or a specific address.
Thanks
It means include 2 envelopes addressed to yourself with your address in your application. Not sure why they need this since all communication happens online once you connect your UCI number with your account but include it anyway.

Applications are to be mailed to whatever address is mentioned on the relevant page on their website. I think it's Nova Scotia but I may be wrong. Doesn't the checklist include the address as well?

AnaBotha

Jan 9, 2019
Category........
Now I'm getting so confused about IELTS. ( or TEF)
Is there any difinitive way to find out whether a langauge test is needed or not?

I understand you do need it if you are claiming points for language. But if you dont need the points?

billygallahad

Jul 16, 2019
Hi all,

As a Director in a Private Limited Company, do I fall under the category of 'Self Employed'? Is this category only applicable to Proprietors?

sbmehta

Apr 26, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have given my biometric date 20/06/2019. Till date no one reply or status change from CIC . When they will send reply about receiving biometrics and any status?

Reactions: Amos TT