+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

gym

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
Thanks. One more question - I have been working under someone - employed but the NOC comes under the category as I noticed some of the NOCs got the only job on board and not the business or self-employed experience is possible in that. Say for example - librarian.

So, is it fine? I got everything with me - work reference letter, pay stubs, income tax returns, offer letter, portfolio showcasing my work.. please comment
no u are not eligible because u have to be selfemployed and u are or were an employee

Reactions: dsgn

Anderspepe

Jun 13, 2019
Hello, I have a few questions, can you help please?

My husband is applying under the self employed category. I have a job in our home country. Once we are in Canada with self employed PR, will I be allowed to take up a job? (I am applying as my husband's dependent). We are also not sure about whether my husband will have a great career there being self employed. So, if things don't go so well for him, will he be able to take up a job? Or will we both be forced to remain self employed, especially since the category of the PR will be printed on our PR card?

Thanks for your responses.

Nornor

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra

My husband is applying under the self employed category. I have a job in our home country. Once we are in Canada with self employed PR, will I be allowed to take up a job? (I am applying as my husband's dependent). We are also not sure about whether my husband will have a great career there being self employed. So, if things don't go so well for him, will he be able to take up a job? Or will we both be forced to remain self employed, especially since the category of the PR will be printed on our PR card?

Where did you learn that the category of the PR will be printed on your card?

You can take a job, your husband is expected to be self-employed however if for any reason he’s unable to I’m not aware of any law preventing him from getting a paid job.
Let the landed fellows confirm.

BaNana82

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Nairobi
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
14-10-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
24-06-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
no u are not eligible because u have to be selfemployed and u are or were an employee
No you do not need to have been self employed to qualify for this stream. I should know. I immigrated using this very stream despite not having been self employed even for one day. The requirement for people without self employed experience is that you need "2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities". That's directly from IRCC list of requirements here.

That said I struggle to think how a librarian can provide proof of being 'world class level'. I guess karenn1617 will have to think deeply how they can convince IRCC. Or someone who has immigrated as a librarian may be able to chip in.

Anderspepe

Jun 13, 2019

You can take a job, your husband is expected to be self-employed however if for any reason he’s unable to I’m not aware of any law preventing him from getting a paid job.
Thanks, very relieved to know. Landed people please confirm. The category is mentioned at the back of the card. You can see it in this video https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/video/pr-card.html

Reactions: Nornor

BaNana82

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Nairobi
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
14-10-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
24-06-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-11-2017

Apparently you can tell the category of immigration from the serial number of the PR card. However I wouldn't worry since the card will only be seen by your banker (when you're opening a bank account) and by IRCC officials. For all other purposes including employment you have the SIN from which no one can even differentiate you from a citizen let alone other immigrant classes.

Also this stream is not conditional. Once you're landed you have full rights like everyone else. As a both applicant and dependent you can take any jobs you wish except those reserved for citizens. So that shouldn't be a worry.

Reactions: Nornor

Anderspepe

Jun 13, 2019
Apparently you can tell the category of immigration from the serial number of the PR card. However I wouldn't worry since the card will only be seen by your banker (when you're opening a bank account) and by IRCC officials. For all other purposes including employment you have the SIN from which no one can even differentiate you from a citizen let alone other immigrant classes.

Also this stream is not conditional. Once you're landed you have full rights like everyone else. As a both applicant and dependent you can take any jobs you wish except those reserved for citizens. So that shouldn't be a worry.
Thank you so much for your response, this comes as a wonderful news to us. I have one more question that is somewhat related, but I fear this forum may not be the right place for it, so apologies in advance. From the time my husband and I receive our COPR, till the time we actually land, we plan to have a gap of around 3 months approximately, so that we can wrap things up here in our home country. In your experience, do you think that during this period of time, I can apply for jobs in Canada? Are Canadian employers such as private companies, MNCs etc. generally open to the idea of someone about to arrive in Canada shortly applying for open positions? Or will my physical presence be required in Canada to do so?

BaNana82

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Nairobi
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
14-10-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
24-06-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
Thank you so much for your response, this comes as a wonderful news to us. I have one more question that is somewhat related, but I fear this forum may not be the right place for it, so apologies in advance. From the time my husband and I receive our COPR, till the time we actually land, we plan to have a gap of around 3 months approximately, so that we can wrap things up here in our home country. In your experience, do you think that during this period of time, I can apply for jobs in Canada? Are Canadian employers such as private companies, MNCs etc. generally open to the idea of someone about to arrive in Canada shortly applying for open positions? Or will my physical presence be required in Canada to do so?
Yeah I wouldn't bother applying for jobs before you land. Not unless you have highly sought after skills and qualifications it would be a waste of time. According to HR guys I have talked to they receive thousands of applications for every job advertised and the first to be eliminated are those out of country.

I would use that time to research the place you wish to live and things like schools (if you have kids). I didn't do that when I came over and spent the first month just scrambling to get everything sorted.

Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2018
LANDED..........
15-04-2019

There's no category on my PR card. There is a number I don't recognise at the back though so maybe that indicates the category in some way to IRCC. I doubt anyone else outside IRCC and other govt institutions (maybe) knows what it means or cares. Someone correct that if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Last edited:

Runroad

Dec 14, 2018
There's no category on my PR card. There is a number I don't recognise at the back though so maybe that indicates the category in some way to IRCC. I doubt anyone else outside IRCC and other govt institutions (maybe) knows what it means or cares. Someone correct that if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Hi leavingonjetplane - did they ask you for photo updates for your PR card? If so, did you have to mail that photos in or to drop them in an office?
Hope you are doing fine man.

Abdu079_

Jun 15, 2019
Hi,

Can i PM you please?

Many thanks

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Anyone applied from India? Have you received an AOR from both the Canada and the New Delhi offices? Or just one?