Self-Employed Application 2018

jiujiu

Mar 28, 2018
Iran
Visa Office......
Ankara
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
Is there any way to contact them? I'm waiting for AOR almost 7 months and still nothing.
It may take upto a year, so do not worry. The whole process is expected to take 2 yeras, according to CIC estimation.

justSladjana

May 24, 2018
Hi everyone. I have one question for those of you who already went through this process and successfully got their PRs. Do I have to submit the proof that I am paying taxes for my business in my home country? I am working as a freelance writer on Upwork for more than 2 years now but I haven't officially registered my business in my home country. Would this be a problem?

Dieseil

Mar 30, 2017
Hi everyone. I have one question for those of you who already went through this process and successfully got their PRs. Do I have to submit the proof that I am paying taxes for my business in my home country? I am working as a freelance writer on Upwork for more than 2 years now but I haven't officially registered my business in my home country. Would this be a problem?
Hello,
I think you should provide proof of income. It gives credibility to your story that you are self employed. You do not have to declare millions, but something on profit made. My spouse has been trading with her name (not business name) for years and all she has done is to give a breakdown of her income for 4 years prior to her application. For those years, she attached her personal income tax clearance/certificate for each year.
I hope this helps.

Reactions: justSladjana

justSladjana

May 24, 2018
Hello,
I think you should provide proof of income. It gives credibility to your story that you are self employed. You do not have to declare millions, but something on profit made. My spouse has been trading with her name (not business name) for years and all she has done is to give a breakdown of her income for 4 years prior to her application. For those years, she attached her personal income tax clearance/certificate for each year.
I hope this helps.
Thank you very much for your reply.

Parulp

Jun 24, 2018
I'm starting this thread for those who are considering sending in an application under self-employed category in 2018. @BaNana82 has been extremely helpful so far sharing his own process and timelines. I'm currently collating my documents and have the IELTS on Jan 20.

Once I receive the results, I will be sending my application in. I'm applying under 5121 - authors and writers. Though the current processing time on CIC website says 48 months, I've met several people who received responses within a year or less so don't let the time discourage you as it did me the first time I considered this in 2015.

You can find occupations that fall under self-employed category here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=291&top=6.

Let's all support each other as we proceed on this journey in 2018...:)
Hi ! Hope you managed to get through ...what's the current status for your application... did you apply it on your own or hire a consultant for this ?

Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2018
LANDED..........
15-04-2019
Hi ! Hope you managed to get through ...what's the current status for your application... did you apply it on your own or hire a consultant for this ?
I received AOR in Apr or May I think (I mentioned upthread) and linked the application online but nothing since then. I don't expect to hear back till end of year really. I applied myself. The forms are straightforward and there are links to step by step instructions on filling the forms somewhere upthread.

V-twin

Jun 18, 2014
Hi!:)

I am a self-employed photographer. What proof of relevant experience should I enclose in my application? Are contracts for wedding photography ok? Also, I am a self-employed person and а shareholder in a company the principal business of which is to provide "photography services". It's a family business and my husband is the other shareholder. Should I enclose in my application the annual tax return documents of the company in order to show profit? Or should I add documents that show I pay my social and health contributions by myself (as a self employed person)? Or anything else to prove relevant experience?

I'm really confused...

Thank you a lot in advance :)

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Hi!:)

I am a self-employed photographer. What proof of relevant experience should I enclose in my application? Are contracts for wedding photography ok? Also, I am a self-employed person and а shareholder in a company the principal business of which is to provide "photography services". It's a family business and my husband is the other shareholder. Should I enclose in my application the annual tax return documents of the company in order to show profit? Or should I add documents that show I pay my social and health contributions by myself (as a self employed person)? Or anything else to prove relevant experience?

I'm really confused...

Thank you a lot in advance :)
Okay, I'm by no means truly knowledgeable about this stuff, but my husband (professional farmer) and I were instructed by the attorneys who are handling our application to provide everything that supports the notion that you are a professional at what you do. So, yes, I would imagine contract copies, proof that the company exists (ads? work?), tax docs, etc. It can't hurt.

Reactions: jazminmed

Schehrazade

Feb 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
18/01/2017
Doc's Request.
03-03-2017
Nomination.....
Csq received 21-12-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
22-03-2017
Interview........
21-12-2016 for CSQ
Hi guys, CIC has bundled up a Quebec Business class application and set the processing time at 45 months. That’s almost 4 years. This gives them leverage to push Entreprenuer and Selp employed applications under the same umbrella as investor. That wasn’t the case before..now they can delay our applications much longer than before. And this is only for Quebec..all other provincial nominations are handled faster.

Schehrazade

Feb 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
18/01/2017
Doc's Request.
03-03-2017
Nomination.....
Csq received 21-12-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
22-03-2017
Interview........
21-12-2016 for CSQ

oligaro

Jun 26, 2018
Hi again,
I'm finishing my application (self-employed). I have some questions - would you mind taking a bit of your time to answer them ? Thanks a lot.

In IMM0008 Schedule 6A,
- There is two fields "Given name(s)", why ?
- Language Proficiency - How do you answer ? I mean, I've been evaluated for French (TEF) but not for English, so how to answer questions about my proficiency in English ?
- Assets - Business ? Should I put my self employed incomes here ?
- Assets - Fixed (term) deposits ? What is Fixed (term) deposits ? I have RRSP (Retirement Saving plan) here in Canada (I am currently living there) and kind of life insurance in my birth country (France), should I put them here, or may be in "Pensions and other assets" ?
- Accumulation of funds narrative ? This one is very tricky. Should I list all my and my wife's employment incomes since we've started working (for example, incomes that have been declared for tax ?) - Because this doesn't make really sense and it's a lot of years of income. I mean, most of our financial resources come from our professional activity, some money family used to give us, etc... How is it possible to list everything ?

In IMM0008,
- Current country of residence ?
We've been in Canada since August 2015. We arrived with a WHV which expired in August 2017 and then - without leaving the country - in August 2017 we received a Closed Work Permit (my wife), and Open Work Permit (myself). Should we put August 2015 or August 2017 as "From" date ?

Nornor

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Hi,

Let me attempt to answer your questions:

1. Given names - write your names i.e first and middle names. Write only one if thats what you have

2. English proficiency is compulsory for this stream so you must write and submit your IELTS result

3. Assets - put all your assets here. Self employed income or any other you have

4. Fixed term deposit is not same as pension. It is money deposited in the bank which cannot be accessed until a stipulated time frame with interest yielded on it

5. Accumulation of funds: yes this is a narrative of you and your spouse's income over the period leading to the acquisition of the assets you declared.

6. Country of residence: you live in Canada currently which makes it your country of residence from the time you arrived till now.

Hope this helps. All the best and God's speed!

oligaro

Jun 26, 2018
Hello Nornor,
Thanks for your reply - your answers are a bit too "evasive" for me though.

As for English proficiency is not compulsory for this stream - official language is - which means English OR French. I am french, that's why I passed the TEF (equivalent of IELTS but for french proficiency), and didn't decide to pass IELTS because I didn't need it so I can save money.

Hi,

Let me attempt to answer your questions:

1. Given names - write your names i.e first and middle names. Write only one if thats what you have

2. English proficiency is compulsory for this stream so you must write and submit your IELTS result

3. Assets - put all your assets here. Self employed income or any other you have

4. Fixed term deposit is not same as pension. It is money deposited in the bank which cannot be accessed until a stipulated time frame with interest yielded on it

5. Accumulation of funds: yes this is a narrative of you and your spouse's income over the period leading to the acquisition of the assets you declared.

6. Country of residence: you live in Canada currently which makes it your country of residence from the time you arrived till now.

Hope this helps. All the best and God's speed!

Nornor

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Hello Nornor,
Thanks for your reply - your answers are a bit too "evasive" for me though.

As for English proficiency is not compulsory for this stream - official language is - which means English OR French. I am french, that's why I passed the TEF (equivalent of IELTS but for french proficiency), and didn't decide to pass IELTS because I didn't need it so I can save money.

'Evasive' as in this meaning ->"tending to avoid commitment or self-revelation, especially by responding only indirectly."?
I really hope that's not what you mean.

Yes you are right about official language, I just checked again. This means you can use your TEF. So what seems to be the issue? If you have not taken IELTS then unfortunately you cannot claim any points for English proficiency as the result is your proof. Except you want to say you are proficient then explain in your LOE that you just didnt take the IELTS but you communicate in English. The outcome of that is at the discretion of the visa officer I guess.