+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sealed Police Certificate from Japan?

detam.10

Sep 11, 2016
Hi Everyone,

Recently we got an email/request from CIC for the Schedule A form and Police Certificate.

When my common-law partner (in Japan) went to the police office to get her police certificate for her PR application, she was told that we are to leave the envelope sealed as is (without opening).
I would prefer to open and scan these documents for upload.

I've sent an email to CIC through their webform asking for guidance, but am not expecting any quick replies - or any at all.

My gut tells me that we can open the police certificate envelope and scan it for upload

I did some searching around and I found the following links suggesting that people have opened the envelopes?

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/silly-mistake-in-police-certificate-t395106.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/japan-police-certificate-translated-t463874.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/asking-for-police-certificate-twice-t463864.0.html

Not entirely sure what to do. I prefer scanning the documents and uploading since it's a more secure method than mail.
Then again, perhaps it's not a good idea to open the envelope without CIC's consent?

Does anyone have any experience with the Japanese Police Certificate that could chime in on whether I should or should not open the envelope?

Thanks!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
You've got the request; it is fine to open it now and scan it. They don't want you mailing it.

rcspousalsponsorship

Star Member
Feb 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga to Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2017
Doc's Request.
PCC and Schedule A Feb 22, 2017
AOR Received.
Feb 22, 2017
File Transfer...
April 02, 2017
Passport Req..
Hope it'll be soon
Yes, open it, scan and upload it

Halcan

Mar 14, 2017
Please don't open the Japanese PCC, it becomes invalid. That's what the immigration officer at the Japan Embassy told me. I sent it by mail and I ordered for GCMS to confirm if the CIC received the PCC. As per the GCMS, it was uploaded in my file. Just FYI. :)

detam.10

Sep 11, 2016
Oh hmmmmmm

I did send a CSE to CIC last week to clarify, but as of now I have not received a reply...

Halcan

Mar 14, 2017
I did the same. They replied after couple of weeks mentioning the address to which the PCC should be sent. :)

detam.10

Sep 11, 2016
Sorry for the double post.

If anyone else has any experience on this and would like to provide further feedback, it would be very helpful and appreciated.
(I definitely feel like submitting online is more secure than sending through mail and possibly getting lost, especially since the PC is coming a long distance from abroad)

Thank you.

Tdot_Boy

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Visa Office......
Bucharest
App. Filed.......
16-02-2017
AOR Received.
02-03-2017
File Transfer...
20-03-2017... 3rd line...: 13-04-2017
Med's Request
17-07-2017
Med's Done....
19-07-2017
Passport Req..
14-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
29-12-2017
detam.10 said:
Hi Everyone,

Recently we got an email/request from CIC for the Schedule A form and Police Certificate.

When my common-law partner (in Japan) went to the police office to get her police certificate for her PR application, she was told that we are to leave the envelope sealed as is (without opening).
I would prefer to open and scan these documents for upload.

I've sent an email to CIC through their webform asking for guidance, but am not expecting any quick replies - or any at all.

My gut tells me that we can open the police certificate envelope and scan it for upload

I did some searching around and I found the following links suggesting that people have opened the envelopes?

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/silly-mistake-in-police-certificate-t395106.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/japan-police-certificate-translated-t463874.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/asking-for-police-certificate-twice-t463864.0.html

Not entirely sure what to do. I prefer scanning the documents and uploading since it's a more secure method than mail.
Then again, perhaps it's not a good idea to open the envelope without CIC's consent?

Does anyone have any experience with the Japanese Police Certificate that could chime in on whether I should or should not open the envelope?

Thanks!
I wouldn't open it if I were you, they might have left a note that it is invalid if opened by the unauthorized personnel.
I could be wrong, call the Japanese embassy in Ottawa ((613) 241-8541)and find out.

Cheers

detam.10

Sep 11, 2016
Thanks for the reply everyone.

I'm just going to send it in.

I have taken a picture of the documents/envelopes/tracking number in case anything happens.

mattymcmatt

Jul 19, 2016
We were in the same situation with my wife receiving her certificate from Japan last month. We debated for 20 minutes as to whether to open it or not but decided to open it and email a scanned copy. CIC specifically requested that we email it to them which is obviously impossible without opening. I will be furious with them if they come back and say that we should have sent it because we waited for over 2 months to receive it from Japan plus had to make a visit to the nearest Consulate in Canada to request it in person.

We submitted the police certificate over a month ago and still have not received word back from them.

Ski_is_fun

May 5, 2016
AOR Received.
03-05-2017
Med's Request
16-11-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
We were in the same situation with my wife receiving her certificate from Japan last month. We debated for 20 minutes as to whether to open it or not but decided to open it and email a scanned copy. CIC specifically requested that we email it to them which is obviously impossible without opening. I will be furious with them if they come back and say that we should have sent it because we waited for over 2 months to receive it from Japan plus had to make a visit to the nearest Consulate in Canada to request it in person.

We submitted the police certificate over a month ago and still have not received word back from them.
Did you get any news? We have just received it and wondering the same thing...

Jiro

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28-03-2017
Doc's Request.
17-04-2017
AOR Received.
11-04-2017
Med's Request
26-01-2018
Med's Done....
06-03-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2018
We asked the Japanese Consulate General in Toronto what to do, and an agent saidit is ok to open the folder and scan for the CIC. There is no mention of any valid / invalid condition of the letter once it is opened. There is a fairly official looking seal on the certificate, and it is stamped on the edge with what I believe would be a duplicate copy held by the Japanese National Police.

What we ended up doing was scanning/uploading online and getting a certified copy made of the PCC and sending that copy into IRCC by mail. That way we still have the original incase something happens. Having a lawyer certify the copy and the courier fees ended costing another $50. But well worth it for piece of mind.

Reactions: vancouvergirl3