+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SDS 2022 Processing Time

MTA4142

Star Member
May 10, 2023
Hey @MTA4142! Your application seems to be strong enough. Personally for me, there was only one weak point on our first application to Canada - not a fully-explained study plan. In case your supervisor takes on that blow and provides an in-depth explanation of your study program, that should work fine. The only thing left is proving your strong ties back to your home country and explaining your career opportunities there. Afghanistan should not be a problem in itself as long as your personal story is well presented and satisfies all the requirements for the study permit. Good luck to you! :)
Many thanks for the response and your great wishes. I also wish you good results.

I wrote a study plan too. In it, I explained how the masters degree along with a hands-on project will have a positive impact on my future. Moreover, I talked about my home ties as well. Hope they will work.

for you first application, what degree and program did you get admitted in? What kind of Study plan did you write, I mean was it generic or you gave less info which you consider it as the only weak point of your 1th application?

Reactions: parrots

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Hey @naohFiona! :) This is just a quick note to let you know that we have gotten our OPRs today, both my husband and me! Hope yours is coming along soon too! Please, do let me know!

Hey @MTA4142! I'll send you a reply tomorrow! :)

Reactions: naohFiona

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Hey @MTA4142 ! Yes, in case your study plan is logical and answers all potential concerns as to your future employment and return to your home country, you should be fine!

Yes, for our first application it was exactly that - we did not provide the officers with sufficient information and details about my study program and were not very specific as to how it would contribute to my future career back in our country of residence. I did not change the university and the program for my second application. I still applied to the University of Alberta for my second BA degree. Applying for a second bachelor degree being over 30 years old was a particular issue on our application and we failed to justify why would I need a second BA (Honors) degree if I already have one BA (Honors) degree.

On our second application we have prepared a very detailed 7-page LOE that included the description of my current work and role in the company, then the detailed study plan going into the details about the courses taken and how each of those courses answers my career needs and educational gaps. Another strong thing on our second application was my transfer credit report from my university, which we did not have on our first application because the university had not issued it for me yet back at that time. This document proved that I am not going for similar courses in any way and that my second degree really is drastically different from my first degree, yet complements it in so many ways. These were two main points.

In addition, we have strengthened our explanation of ties to our country of residence by addressing family situation, work plans, residence in more details. We have supported our second application with more documents from our company, employment letters, shares certificates.

My husband's application wasn't changed much, but we also strengthened his explanation of his ties to our country of residence by showing how he will continue to be involved in his work in China even while staying in Canada. His letter was 3 pages long.

We worked really hard on our second application, taking into consideration every single piece of advice given to us from so many guys on this forum, from a lawyer, an immigration consultant, our own research, feelings and thinking. We didn't rush, but we worked every day on our application.

I hope this helps you and the next generation of applicants! :) Feel free to ask me any questions related to your applications, I'd be glad to help! Good luck!

Many thanks for the response and your great wishes. I also wish you good results.

I wrote a study plan too. In it, I explained how the masters degree along with a hands-on project will have a positive impact on my future. Moreover, I talked about my home ties as well. Hope they will work.

for you first application, what degree and program did you get admitted in? What kind of Study plan did you write, I mean was it generic or you gave less info which you consider it as the only weak point of your 1th application?

Reactions: MTA4142

MTA4142

Star Member
May 10, 2023
Hey @MTA4142 ! Yes, in case your study plan is logical and answers all potential concerns as to your future employment and return to your home country, you should be fine!

Yes, for our first application it was exactly that - we did not provide the officers with sufficient information and details about my study program and were not very specific as to how it would contribute to my future career back in our country of residence. I did not change the university and the program for my second application. I still applied to the University of Alberta for my second BA degree. Applying for a second bachelor degree being over 30 years old was a particular issue on our application and we failed to justify why would I need a second BA (Honors) degree if I already have one BA (Honors) degree.

On our second application we have prepared a very detailed 7-page LOE that included the description of my current work and role in the company, then the detailed study plan going into the details about the courses taken and how each of those courses answers my career needs and educational gaps. Another strong thing on our second application was my transfer credit report from my university, which we did not have on our first application because the university had not issued it for me yet back at that time. This document proved that I am not going for similar courses in any way and that my second degree really is drastically different from my first degree, yet complements it in so many ways. These were two main points.

In addition, we have strengthened our explanation of ties to our country of residence by addressing family situation, work plans, residence in more details. We have supported our second application with more documents from our company, employment letters, shares certificates.

My husband's application wasn't changed much, but we also strengthened his explanation of his ties to our country of residence by showing how he will continue to be involved in his work in China even while staying in Canada. His letter was 3 pages long.

We worked really hard on our second application, taking into consideration every single piece of advice given to us from so many guys on this forum, from a lawyer, an immigration consultant, our own research, feelings and thinking. We didn't rush, but we worked every day on our application.

I hope this helps you and the next generation of applicants! :) Feel free to ask me any questions related to your applications, I'd be glad to help! Good luck!
Thanks. I will come back to you in case I have any questions.

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Hey @naohFiona! We have sent our passports for stamping in the VAC in China and they have informed us that the stamping process in the Canadian Embassy with take 4 weeks plus 2 weeks for back-and-forth delivery of our passports. The total processing time will be around 6 weeks.

I just wanted to let you know so that you could take this processing time into account as well. If your PPRs are delayed any further, you might need to consider deferring your semester again.

Also, this might be the reason why our applications are taking this long - China. It seems that the processing of applications and passport stamping is really slow here as I have not seen such ridiculously long processing time for stamping in any other country. Please, somebody, correct me if I am wrong.

Wow, congrats, Parrot!! See, sooner or later we will get itYeah, hope mine also comes soon

zehrafzj

Jun 12, 2023
SDS application from India.
Applied 21 May
Biometrics updated 26 May
Original Passport Request 03 Jun

I am a 33yo male with a 10 year study gap. I finished my bachelors in 2012 with a 8.17/10 CGPA. My IELTS score was 8.5/9. Going for a Masters program at Ryerson in Fall 2023. I did everything on my own - from college applications to visa application. I have a virgin passport.
I applied on the new portal since forms scare me.
I would love to help anyone if they have any questions for me. :)

Original Passport RequestJune 3, 2023June 3, 2023
Biometric Validity LetterJune 3, 2023June 3, 2023
Biometrics Collection LetterMay 21, 2023May 21, 2023
Client Application SummaryMay 21, 2023May 21, 2023
Submission ConfirmationMay 21, 2023May 21, 2023
Confirmation of Online Application TransmissionMay 21, 2023May 21, 2023
Hi, another Ryerson fall masters applicant here. I applied to SDS via the IRCC representative portal on 20th May from Pakistan but still waiting for PPR.
Confirmation of Transmission - May 20
Submission Confirmation - May 20 (No Application Summary)
Biometrics Collection Letter - May 20
Biometrics Completed - May 23
Medical Passed - May 30
Background Check - Processing
Eligibility - Not started
Decision - Application in progress

naohFiona

Mar 14, 2023
Hey @naohFiona! We have sent our passports for stamping in the VAC in China and they have informed us that the stamping process in the Canadian Embassy with take 4 weeks plus 2 weeks for back-and-forth delivery of our passports. The total processing time will be around 6 weeks.

I just wanted to let you know so that you could take this processing time into account as well. If your PPRs are delayed any further, you might need to consider deferring your semester again.

Also, this might be the reason why our applications are taking this long - China. It seems that the processing of applications and passport stamping is really slow here as I have not seen such ridiculously long processing time for stamping in any other country. Please, somebody, correct me if I am wrong.
Dear Parrots, thank you so much for such detailed sharing of your application experience! Yes, I am aware that passport delivery and stamping could take up to 2 months because I also called VAS in China and enquire it in March, even though I hadn't got the OPR. The processing time is way longer that what they say about "normal processing time", at lease in China as I know. Now it's been 18 weeks for me and no further updates at all. I was suggested by the China VAS staffs that I can keep sending web forms frequently to IRCC to accelerate application review, but it doesn't seem working, as you shared. I am wondering if it's because mine was reviewed by AI and classified as "need to verify carefully" so manual exam hasn't started yet. Last time I called IRCC(in March) and got through to an agent, he told me that my application was processed in Edmonton office. Does it make any sense? And my husband's spouse work permit started to be reviewed much later than mine according to the Tracking. It should be true because last time my husband called them(also in March) and the agent said that his has not be assigned to any officer. So I am just gonna call them again and get more information from the agents, then wait patiently. Again, congrats to you for the final approval! Hope to meet you one day in Canada!

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Hey @naohFiona! Thank you so much for your reply! I am really worried about you and I wish you all the best with your application! :) Has there been any change on your application this week? I know it is 19 weeks for you as of today. In case, you're still waiting, don't lose hope because you still have time to make it to the Fall semester and the decision might be positive regardless of how long you wait.

Yes, the webforms don't speed up the process. We haven't sent a single webform this year. It just takes whatever time it takes with your personal application. As much frustrated, scared, tired, depressed and hopeless as you feel, try to stay positive and patient. When the decision comes, nothing else will matter and all those weeks won't feel as heavy anymore.

Yes, it makes absolute sense that your application is being processed in Edmonton as many SDS applicants (especially from China) have reported their applications to be processed there. Our applications were certainly processed in Edmonton, we can confirm that to you. Whether it is China, SDS or a family application, but yes, it is true and it also does not affect the outcome of your application in any way.

Don't worry about your husband's application. It will be processed once yours is approved and it won't be even opened if yours is refused (don't mean to scare you, but this is how it was for us). However, in both cases, my husband's application was updated only the day we received our decisions. So, I would strongly suggest to you to not pay attention to those updates in GCKey and the Tracker, like, at all, don't even look at them.

I hope this brings you some peace of mind. I know the only thing that really calms the nerves is the decision itself. I believe it shouldn't take more than 20 weeks for you. Please, let me know how it goes! And in case you need any help, please, don't hesitate to ask me any questions!

We have gotten our passports back in exactly 2 weeks. This means that you might still make it on time for September semester. Don't lose hope! I'm here for you! :)

Dear Parrots, thank you so much for such detailed sharing of your application experience! Yes, I am aware that passport delivery and stamping could take up to 2 months because I also called VAS in China and enquire it in March, even though I hadn't got the OPR. The processing time is way longer that what they say about "normal processing time", at lease in China as I know. Now it's been 18 weeks for me and no further updates at all. I was suggested by the China VAS staffs that I can keep sending web forms frequently to IRCC to accelerate application review, but it doesn't seem working, as you shared. I am wondering if it's because mine was reviewed by AI and classified as "need to verify carefully" so manual exam hasn't started yet. Last time I called IRCC(in March) and got through to an agent, he told me that my application was processed in Edmonton office. Does it make any sense? And my husband's spouse work permit started to be reviewed much later than mine according to the Tracking. It should be true because last time my husband called them(also in March) and the agent said that his has not be assigned to any officer. So I am just gonna call them again and get more information from the agents, then wait patiently. Again, congrats to you for the final approval! Hope to meet you one day in Canada!

naohFiona

Mar 14, 2023
Hey @naohFiona! Thank you so much for your reply! I am really worried about you and I wish you all the best with your application! :) Has there been any change on your application this week? I know it is 19 weeks for you as of today. In case, you're still waiting, don't lose hope because you still have time to make it to the Fall semester and the decision might be positive regardless of how long you wait.

Yes, the webforms don't speed up the process. We haven't sent a single webform this year. It just takes whatever time it takes with your personal application. As much frustrated, scared, tired, depressed and hopeless as you feel, try to stay positive and patient. When the decision comes, nothing else will matter and all those weeks won't feel as heavy anymore.

Yes, it makes absolute sense that your application is being processed in Edmonton as many SDS applicants (especially from China) have reported their applications to be processed there. Our applications were certainly processed in Edmonton, we can confirm that to you. Whether it is China, SDS or a family application, but yes, it is true and it also does not affect the outcome of your application in any way.

Don't worry about your husband's application. It will be processed once yours is approved and it won't be even opened if yours is refused (don't mean to scare you, but this is how it was for us). However, in both cases, my husband's application was updated only the day we received our decisions. So, I would strongly suggest to you to not pay attention to those updates in GCKey and the Tracker, like, at all, don't even look at them.

I hope this brings you some peace of mind. I know the only thing that really calms the nerves is the decision itself. I believe it shouldn't take more than 20 weeks for you. Please, let me know how it goes! And in case you need any help, please, don't hesitate to ask me any questions!

We have gotten our passports back in exactly 2 weeks. This means that you might still make it on time for September semester. Don't lose hope! I'm here for you! :)
Dear Parrots,
Your words are very comforting! Thank you again! I just found that the status of both me and my husband in the Tracker was updated a little bit on 5 Jul--The Eligibility Review was changed from "in progress" to "not started", which is weird and confusing. But if it's like what you said, the status updates mean nothing, then I should not worry about it and keep waiting for the final decision. I am disappointed, of course, but haven't lost hope. Don't worry. If I am so unlucky that I don't get approval before the Fall Semester, I can still request a deferral to the school, I believe. Just wondering why it takes so long to come up with a conclusion. Positive or negative, at least let us know the result.
It's so great that you've got your passports back again in just two weeks! I guess you are leaving for it soon, won't you? Wish you all the best for the new life! May I know which city you are heading to? My destination is Vancouver. I guess this popular city could be one reasons of long processing time.

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Dear @naohFiona! I'm so sorry for not replying earlier! I've been thinking about you every day and checking this thread almost every day in hope to see your posts. I really really really hope that you've gotten your decision by now. Please, tell me this is so and please let me know which decision it is? I'm rooting for you!

Yes, we've been crazy busy preparing for our trip. I am in a state of constant fear of forgetting something because there is so much to do. But it's a joyful thing, absolutely. I wish you to experience it soon enough too! We're going to Edmonton. I don't think that Vancouver is the reason for the delayed processing of your application, I think it is just a combination of China, your personal case and random factors. Don't think much about it, it all won't matter. Let's wait for your decision!

Hope to hear from you very soon and hope it's a great news! :)

Dear Parrots,
Your words are very comforting! Thank you again! I just found that the status of both me and my husband in the Tracker was updated a little bit on 5 Jul--The Eligibility Review was changed from "in progress" to "not started", which is weird and confusing. But if it's like what you said, the status updates mean nothing, then I should not worry about it and keep waiting for the final decision. I am disappointed, of course, but haven't lost hope. Don't worry. If I am so unlucky that I don't get approval before the Fall Semester, I can still request a deferral to the school, I believe. Just wondering why it takes so long to come up with a conclusion. Positive or negative, at least let us know the result.
It's so great that you've got your passports back again in just two weeks! I guess you are leaving for it soon, won't you? Wish you all the best for the new life! May I know which city you are heading to? My destination is Vancouver. I guess this popular city could be one reasons of long processing time.

Reactions: naohFiona