+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SDS 2022 Processing Time

Happyloc

Aug 4, 2022
How old is this message on facebook?
It was posted on July 22. I couldn't find the original post from IRCC but it also mentions "IRCC provided the following updates, which reflect the status of application as of July 11th"

Mayank_Choudhary

Star Member
Jun 28, 2022
FYI
I saw this post on a Facebook group:

Study Permit Processing Update
We are pleased to provide an update on our engagement with the department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on the issue of study permit processing
Long delays in the processing of study permits and the impact on the Fall semester were topics of conversation during recent meetings with the senior departmental officials at IRCC. To ensure best possible outcomes for students and institutions, CICan has been recommending that study permit applications be processed based on the program start date rather than on a first come first serve basis.
During our discussions, IRCC provided the following updates, which reflect the status of application as of July 11th:
The current inventory of study permits stands at roughly 180,000 applications with around 47% originating from India.
Of the 180,000 study permit applications in the inventory, around 6% indicate a program start date after September 1st.
This calendar year IRCC has hired 250 additional processing officers with plans to hire more – overtime is being offered to help work through the inventory.
In the first six months of 2022 IRCC processed 292,000 study permits, compared to 248,000 in the same period in 2021 – an increase of about 18%.
IRCC continues to see a significant volume of new applications (around 87,000 in June, most of which are for programs that start in the fall).
IRCC processed close to 70,000 study permit applications in June, a new monthly record, and expects to process as many in July.
Processing times are beginning to decrease, but currently remain at around 12 weeks.
Similar to the processing guarantee issued last summer, IRCC is confident that all study permit applications submitted by the end of May (i.e. within posted processing times of 12 weeks) will be processed in time for students to arrive in Canada and start their studies in the fall.
For the fall intake, IRCC is now prioritizing for processing study permit applications based on the indicated start date of the program.
We will continue to engage with senior departmental officials to check on progress and provide updates to both our International Advisory Committee (IAC) and the broader membership.

To process applications according to the nearest intake is such flawed logic. Instead, they should maybe have a 'Fastrack' option where someone can pay an additional nominal amount to get their visas processed faster.

Cons of this whole "intake-wise" processing:
- Since their processing times are still slow and unpredictable, I wouldn't want my application to begin being processed sometime in October (if I am a Jan intake candidate) only to be told in November that my visa has been rejected and that I need to now defer to apply again.
- Most people don't book tickets in advance; getting their decision weeks or days before their term starts means paying insane amounts of money to fly out.

I was fortunate to have gotten acceptance letters from colleges for both Fall and Winter terms (I had applied in Jan 2022) but I decided to go for the Jan'23 one, almost a year ahead, because I was worried about the visa processing times (my friends had to wait 6-8 months in 2021 to get theirs under SDS). To make that sacrifice only to know they might not process my visa even though I applied months in advance is just unfair.

Hope IRCC doesn't actually do this.

Reactions: parrots

zenboombox

May 10, 2022
App. Filed.......
10-05-2022
Hello SDS applicant here is my timeline so far from Manila:

Application received: May 10, 2022
Biometrics done: May 17, 2022
Upfront Medical done: May 5, 2022
Medical passed: July 8, 2022
Eligibility Review: July 26, 2022
BVL: Pending

Honestly experiencing a mix of emotions, but hopefully, there will be a result.

phoenix197

Star Member
Jul 1, 2021
Category........
STUDY
IELTS Request
23-10-2021
Med's Done....
09-05-2022
Hello SDS applicant here is my timeline so far from Manila:

Application received: May 10, 2022
Biometrics done: May 17, 2022
Upfront Medical done: May 5, 2022
Medical passed: July 8, 2022
Eligibility Review: July 26, 2022
BVL: Pending

Honestly experiencing a mix of emotions, but hopefully, there will be a result.
Wish you the best of luck... Do update your results here.

phoenix197

Star Member
Jul 1, 2021
Category........
STUDY
IELTS Request
23-10-2021
Med's Done....
09-05-2022
How often do you guys receive "ERROR 404" while logging in to your GCKEY? It happens quite often with me, with page going in the loop- as I log in my credentials and it again asks for my login details.

jaz_rodrigues

Jun 27, 2022
Hi guys, here is my timeline from BRAZIL:
Applied through SDS stream
Application: July 11
Biometrics completed: July 13
Medical exam upfront and accepted: July 22
Review of eligibility and background check: In progress

Intake: Sept 06. Last day to be at university: Sept 13

Honestly, I don't think I'll have it on time, because it takes 2 weeks to get my passport with my visa back, which gives me 15 days from now (around august 20) to have a final decision, and that is pushing the dates and hoping everything goes well with the passport...

Happyloc

Aug 4, 2022
How often do you guys receive "ERROR 404" while logging in to your GCKEY? It happens quite often with me, with page going in the loop- as I log in my credentials and it again asks for my login details.
Very often for me. Then I tried to research solutions, I found this: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1491&top=23.3
So what I did is to use Chrome instead of Safari, clear the bookmark of CIC log in, clear all history of CIC . That works for me! Hope this helps.

Reactions: phoenix197

Wzleed

Sep 12, 2021
File submitted: 6th July
Biometrics given: 8th July
Medical: not updated
Background check: in progress
Review of eligibility: 29th july

Any ideas on how long it might take for them to reach a decision?

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
I would have agreed with you but having no updates on our applications for over a month and then receiving approvals just a day after submitting webform and receiving email response makes me feel like they were able to pick it up and complete it.
Seriously, it was just a coincidence. And the fact that their reply said that they were having high volume of applications, only proves that that was a standardized reply (which I also got, by the way), which was not tailored personally to your case. I don't think that the person who handled your application, also handled your web enquiry. I'm sure they have separate group of people for responding the Webforms (that is - to send the automated responses once in a while). So, I'm writing this only for those guys who might read this and then believe that all they have to do is to send a webform to speed up the process, but it most certainly does not work that way.

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Hi,

I applied for a Study Permit (SDS) on May 14th. 2022. Medicals Updated on 24th July. After that no updates whatsoever. I'm a PhD Student.
The eligibility Review has not yet started.

Any idea when can I expect a decision ? I have seen lots of late May and Early June applicants getting PPR. Non-SDS applicants are getting decisions within a week for most cases I personally know.

I guess thinking SDS would get processed faster was a totally wrong decision
We are in the same boat, SDS May 8.

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
To process applications according to the nearest intake is such flawed logic. Instead, they should maybe have a 'Fastrack' option where someone can pay an additional nominal amount to get their visas processed faster.

Cons of this whole "intake-wise" processing:
- Since their processing times are still slow and unpredictable, I wouldn't want my application to begin being processed sometime in October (if I am a Jan intake candidate) only to be told in November that my visa has been rejected and that I need to now defer to apply again.
- Most people don't book tickets in advance; getting their decision weeks or days before their term starts means paying insane amounts of money to fly out.

I was fortunate to have gotten acceptance letters from colleges for both Fall and Winter terms (I had applied in Jan 2022) but I decided to go for the Jan'23 one, almost a year ahead, because I was worried about the visa processing times (my friends had to wait 6-8 months in 2021 to get theirs under SDS). To make that sacrifice only to know they might not process my visa even though I applied months in advance is just unfair.

Hope IRCC doesn't actually do this.
Absolutely agree on this. First Come First Served seems like a fair enough deal. And also, how about just getting SDS in order and deliver on that sweet promise of 20 days? That would be an awesome start. And yeah, a paid speed-up process or something could be nice as well. In the meantime, it would be nice to hear at least some explanation as to how exactly they process the applications.

Reactions: Mayank_Choudhary