Med's Request
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
01-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
Recent landed international students in Canada, do you guys have any experience with Start Right @ Scoatiabank?

Or any other banking service? Share you stories here.

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
echelon99 said:
Recent landed international students in Canada, do you guys have any experience with Start Right @ Scoatiabank?

Or any other banking service? Share you stories here.
When I landed, which was about 6 months back, I walked into a TD Branch and started there.

The lady making my account and me had quite a good talk about general stuff, how's life in canada, home sick? and stuff. She was very helpful, gave me everything I needed and also approved me for a 1000$ credit card without any security.

She spent about 30 minutes explaining her experience in Canada aswell since she was once a student from Hong Kong. I left the bank feeling like I just finished talking to a good friend lol.

I highly recommend TD over any other bank.

echelon99

Jun 5, 2012
Colombo, Sri-Lanka
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 overall
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
01-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
Really? That's great to know. Thanks for sharing, +1 for you.

So your experiences with TD have been good so far?

zsohani

Star Member
Nov 4, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
25th December 2012
I arrived here in December 2012, and made my account in TD bank. It was a nice experience. They slowly explain all the details about banking and the ATM's are different over there so I was confused and they gave me a demo on how to withdraw or deposit cash into/from the ATM. And I got 500 $ credit card which they said is a rare case as I don't have any credit history. So overall, it was good and helpful :D

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
echelon99 said:
Really? That's great to know. Thanks for sharing, +1 for you.

So your experiences with TD have been good so far?
Yeah, quite good I'd say. I pay no monthly/yearly fee and they have a 24/7 helpline to help you with anything. Also, every city in Canada has 100's of TD ATM's. You get charged if you use an ATM other than your banks.

So really whatever you choose, pick a popular bank since the ATM fee is quite high if you use it often. My personal experience is that I see TD and RBC ATM's everywhere, dont see scotia and Bank of Montreal much.

Anil K

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do all get credit cards there I mean I am 18+ but going for post secondary advanced diploma
so can I get a credit card?
and one of them said he got $1000 card and the other said $500card so how is it possible both got it frm TD bank itself
what do we need to say to get $1000 card
and wat abt monthly or yearly rentals. TD bank dont charge that yerly fee or did u manage for ur self?

gusko357

May 27, 2013
I have made experiences with Scotia Bank and BBMO so far ...

Scotia
-free
-you can have pay with your debit card as often as you want
-you get a Scene card and can enjoy 4 movies for free at the cinema
-you get 5 cheques free
-choose "paperless" for your records so you don't have to pay for the monthly record sent to you by mail (you can always go to your local branch and get printed and stamped records from them free)
minus:
-wanted to get a credit card and they did not know their own regulations, spent 2 hours there for nothing

BMO Bank
-free for students
-no free cheques
-limited transactions (you can use your debit card only 20 times a month or so to pay

... comparing these two scotiabank is the better option

zsohani

Star Member
Nov 4, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
25th December 2012
Anil K said:
Do all get credit cards there I mean I am 18+ but going for post secondary advanced diploma
and one of them said he got $1000 card and the other said $500card so how is it possible both got it frm TD bank itself
and wat abt monthly or yearly rentals. TD bank dont charge that yerly fee or did u manage for ur self?
Nah, not all get it. It's just by chance but basically I think it's up to them. If they give credit card it's good business for their banks but anyway just depends. They'll just ask you if you want to apply for credit card too, then say yes and they will process it and then say if your card was approved or declined. You cannot be sure if you'll get 1000 or 500 depends. But if you get one and maintain a good credit history you can apply for extension of credit limit later. By monthly or yearly rental do you mean by interest fee ?

wfsoomro

Jun 27, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Sydney Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
15-09-2020
I love scotia because they offer all sorts of unlimited free transactions. The people are helpful. Free credit card. Plus you get points on using debit and credit cards which you can later redeem to watch movies. Have watched 3 3d movies for free so far :D

zsohani

Star Member
Nov 4, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
25th December 2012
gusko357 said:
I have made experiences with Scotia Bank and BBMO so far ...

Scotia
-free
-you can have pay with your debit card as often as you want
-you get a Scene card and can enjoy 4 movies for free at the cinema
-you get 5 cheques free
-choose "paperless" for your records so you don't have to pay for the monthly record sent to you by mail (you can always go to your local branch and get printed and stamped records from them free)
minus:
-wanted to get a credit card and they did not know their own regulations, spent 2 hours there for nothing

BMO Bank
-free for students
-no free cheques
-limited transactions (you can use your debit card only 20 times a month or so to pay

... comparing these two scotiabank is the better option
Yea I think it's better than TD because in TD there is limited transaction and if you go beyond the limit they'll charge you. And we don't get the movie thing :p Only these two difference I guess.

JD_

Apr 13, 2013
Anil K said:
The credit limit is generally on an individual basis, they take into consideration your credit history (which you don't have) and other misc stuff. In case you don't qualify for a regular credit card, you can get a secure credit card by paying a deposit like 200$, its very important to get a credit card though, as it is your stepping stone in building credit history if you plan to eventually settle in the country.

zsohani

Star Member
Nov 4, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
25th December 2012
JD_ said:
The credit limit is generally on an individual basis, they take into consideration your credit history (which you don't have) and other misc stuff. In case you don't qualify for a regular credit card, you can get a secure credit card by paying a deposit like 200$, its very important to get a credit card though, as it is your stepping stone in building credit history if you plan to eventually settle in the country.
But then the question is how do people like us who don't have credit history or anything and are new in Canada, get credit card ? I mean on what basis ? I m not complaining or anything, it's just curiosity.

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
In my case, the person opening my account seemed to like me. We chatted quite a bit, roughly one hour. I suppose she recommended me for a card when she applyed for me. It's all about luck I guess. I could have been denied a card or got a simple 300$ card but I suppose I got lucky with the 1000$.

Funny part, I even offered to give a security deposit to get the card but she refused and applyed on my behalf for unsecured with her recommendation.

If you want some advice, it's all about first impressions. Try and make people like you, it goes a long way.

aamro1992

Jul 10, 2011
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
14-March-2017
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-June-2017
LANDED..........
01-Sep-2017
I got a debit card from BMO. Awesome service all around but i think that's true for every Canadian firm

JD_

Apr 13, 2013
zsohani said:
But then the question is how do people like us who don't have credit history or anything and are new in Canada, get credit card ? I mean on what basis ? I m not complaining or anything, it's just curiosity.
That's what the secure credit cards are for. You put a security deposit of say 200$ and you get a credit card with 200$ limit. After a year or so, they will return the deposit and make it a regular card and increase the limit. Say to 1000$

But from what i hear in the thread, may be they are not so hard on it in Canada as in US.