+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sample letter & proof of urgency - Marriage Certificate Ontario

fpalazzo

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
Like some other user said, I believe that it depends on the person who is processing your request. We sent our fax on the same week that we applied for the certificate and it took 8 weeks to be processed, which is better than 10 for sure, but it's still quite long time.
Our registration was completed on the 12th, but we did not receive the document yet.

Ghuman0774

Feb 2, 2018
Hello everyone!

I saw on various threads how it takes so long for you guys to get your marriage certificate from Thunder Bay (Ontario). Well, I am here to help you out!
I got married on March 1st 2014 and my certificate is already on its way in the mail.

This is what I did:

I went online and requested + paid the fee on March 5th 2014. They gave me an order#

Then I wrote the following letter (signed by my husband) and faxed it to them along with a picture of my visa (which I need to renew) as a proof of urgency. You may modify and use it if you like :) We had faxed them before for our foreign divorce authorization (as my husband and I both got our divorces from our previous spouses from the US) and they were very helpful. They issued our authorization within a week. Normally it takes them 4 weeks to process this!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PAGE 1​

To,

The Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600, 3rd Floor
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario - P7B 6L8
Fax# 807-343-7284

Attention: Marriage Office

This is a letter to request your office to please process my marriage registration (license# E xxxxxx) at your earliest convenience. I have already ordered a marriage certificate and a certified copy of registration (order# xxxxxxxx - x). My wife, xxxxxxx xxxxxxx, and I, xxx xxxxx xxxxx, were married on xxxx xx 20xx. I understand that this was a recent event and therefore it does not qualify for any of the expedited service options available online, however, I would still like to request you to please take this letter into account when you receive my paperwork from the officiant.

As a proof of urgency, I'm attaching a copy of my wife's visa stamp which expires on xxx xx 20xx. According to the Canadian immigration rules, we need to apply for an extension and begin our immigration process for her to stay with me by xxx xx 20xx. Therefore, it is absolutely essential for us that we receive the requested documents as early as possible as we are required by the CIC immigration documents checklist to attach copies of our marriage certificate and registration.

Your office has been a great help for us as you issued our foreign divorce authorization for the marriage license within a week of application. You have been incredibly cooperative and understanding and we cannot thank you enough for that.

If you have any questions regarding this request, please feel free to contact me or my wife at the information given at the end of this letter.

Thank you, once again, for your cooperation and consideration.

Sincerely,
xxx x xxxxx

xxx xxxxx: xxx.xxx.xxxx, xxxxxx @ xxxxx
xxx xxxxx: xxx.xxx.xxxx, xxxxx @ xxxxxx

ADD FOOTER ON BOTH THE PAGES:
Ref: Marriage License# E xxxxxxx
Marriage Certificate and Certified Copy of Registration - order# xxxxxxxx - x
Attachment: Proof of Urgency - Visa Stamp

PAGE 2​

PROOF OF URGENCY:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck, everyone!
It worked for me too. We got married on 2018/1/24 and guess what they have already mailed me my certificate. I ordered it on 2018/1/30 and after ording it online and I called their office and told the lady that my wife’s visa is expiring in march and she asked me to fax them the proof, i did exactly the same.

Your post really helped me alot. Thanks

ALY00

Jun 28, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm a Canadian Citizen getting married to a US citizen here in Canada. I was wondering if I could expedite the process of getting a marriage certificate, however my urgency is a bit different.

I will be applying for Medical School Residency in the US and require my US citizen husband to sponsor me there. For the sponsorship process, I will need a copy of the marriage certificate. I was wondering what the actual proof of urgency would be that I'd need to submit? Would sponsorship paperwork showing that i require a marriage certificate be enough?

Hope I can get some help here! Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think you mean you applying for proof of US residency to be accepted into medical school as a domestic student. Sounds like you applying for a residency program the way you explained it. Maybe I am wrong but the residency programs usually start in July.

ALY00

Jun 28, 2018
Think you mean you applying for proof of US residency to be accepted into medical school as a domestic student. Sounds like you applying for a residency program the way you explained it. Maybe I am wrong but the residency programs usually start in July.
Yes, you're right. The residency program does start in July, however my goal is to be applying as a US permanent resident this September when applications begin. I won't actually need my US permanent resident status until March 2019, when contracts are signed. The process for US sponsorship takes about 5-7 months, and for that process to begin, I would need by marriage certificate by mid-late August this year. I'm just not sure what to include as proof of urgency when writing my letter to Thunderbay.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Explain that you need it for work. Some cities rarely do urgent request and some you just have to ask. Wouldn't overthink this too much. If you explain your whole story it actually seems less urgent because you will likely still get things done without urgent processing.

ALY00

Jun 28, 2018
Explain that you need it for work. Some cities rarely do urgent request and some you just have to ask. Wouldn't overthink this too much. If you explain your whole story it actually seems less urgent because you will likely still get things done without urgent processing.
Hmm, ok, thanks so much for your help! I do hope things get done on time!

Reactions: thetwins1990

thetwins1990

Mar 8, 2019
Thanks A lot @azarme09 , i used your template and i edited it on my way, i submitted on February 28th and i received the certificate on May 5th just a week after i sent the fax, my passport was not stamped at the airport so i just sent the stamp from my home country when i came to Canada. Thanks again you save my PR application process

Blueface

Mar 15, 2019
Can confirm that this works. I applied for it the same day of my marriage. Got married on the 10th of March, the completed license was sent by our officiant on the 11th. They received it on the 13th and I called them the same day to explain my situation, they gave me a fax number to send my proof of urgency and explanation letter to. I did that the same day, and it got processed the next day.

You have to call and ask them about it though, because it takes some time for it update online. It's in the mail and I should be receiving it soon. Hope this helps

zxya024

Sep 16, 2019
Can confirm that this works. I applied for it the same day of my marriage. Got married on the 10th of March, the completed license was sent by our officiant on the 11th. They received it on the 13th and I called them the same day to explain my situation, they gave me a fax number to send my proof of urgency and explanation letter to. I did that the same day, and it got processed the next day.

You have to call and ask them about it though, because it takes some time for it update online. It's in the mail and I should be receiving it soon. Hope this helps
Hello.I would like to know how to contact the person there by phone? I dialed many times to 416-325-8305. Only recorded voice massages... There was no instruction be told that can transfer to the officer.

Blueface

Mar 15, 2019
Hello.I would like to know how to contact the person there by phone? I dialed many times to 416-325-8305. Only recorded voice massages... There was no instruction be told that can transfer to the officer.
It's been a while so I wouldn't know what number I used then. I found this on the service ontario website so you can try calling one of these numbers.