+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Same sex conjugal sponsorship

Auror888

Feb 17, 2022
Hi there, I thought you cannot get married in Canada with a tourist visa for non-PR or non-citizen. Like the application to sponsor them after would be denied because the marriage happened when they were a tourist. I would appreciate some clarification. Thank you in advance.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi there, I thought you cannot get married in Canada with a tourist visa for non-PR or non-citizen. Like the application to sponsor them after would be denied because the marriage happened when they were a tourist. I would appreciate some clarification. Thank you in advance.
You can get married in Canada as a tourist. As far as I know, many same sex couples come to Canada to get legally married.

Reactions: DimT44

Auror888

Feb 17, 2022
You can get married in Canada as a tourist. As far as I know, many same sex couples come to Canada to get legally married.
Hi there, thank you. Where can I find an article about it at the canada.ca website? I've just been told by someone that if you get married as tourist (that is your partner had tourist visa and same sex) then sponsoring them might be difficult.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there, thank you. Where can I find an article about it at the canada.ca website? I've just been told by someone that if you get married as tourist (that is your partner had tourist visa and same sex) then sponsoring them might be difficult.
There's no reason why sponsoring them would be difficult if you get married in Canada as a same sex couple. I don't know why someone would say that. If anything, it's generally simpler / easier to sponsor someone once you are married vs. common law. And certainly both are much much easier than conjugal.

There's no article on the IRCC website that is going to specifically say this. It's really just common sense. Tons of people here have gotten married on tourist visas and then successfully sponsored their parntners. Whether the couple is same sex or not is irrelevant. IRCC assesses the application based on the strength of the relationship evidence (not gender).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
First lesson about Canada: not everything is at federal level. You have to look at requirements for each province when it's a provincial responsibiility. And that's why there's not much on the canada.ca site.

That said: the requirements are pretty much the same for all of them. Bring ID to city hall/provincial service agency, pay a fee, bring divorce docs if married before, sign a couple forms, get a license, then arrange your marriage with an officiant (many city halls will offer some basic service), get married, wait for your certificate.

None of the above is different for foreigners or citizens, except ID (passports are fine though) and divorce docs (translations etc may be needed - check wiht the province).

Reactions: Auror888 and YVR123

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I am planning to bring my same sex partner as an ESL student and we will get married before his study permit expire. Is this is a good plan?
Where is your partner from ? It’s going to be extremely difficult to convince a VO to issue a visa to someone to come all the way to Canada , pay big fees, expenses , just to study English. Doesn’t make sense, and doesn’t pass the smell test