Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Feb 21, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 25, 2014
LANDED..........
March 6, 2014
Good morning, a welcome home present after my holiday has arrived, in the form of a letter titled Quality Assurance exercise and request for additional evidence. As has been specified by other posters in this forum, this letter specifically states that "Your application was randomly selected for a special review exercise in connection with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's (IRCC) Quality Assurance programme." The package that i have received includes:

- A covering letter
- Form CIT 0205 (05-2017) E - Physical Presence Questionnaire - Quality Assurance Exercise
- Appendix - Required Documents
- Request for fingerprints
- Request for a non-family member Canadian citizen as a reference who has known me for at least 2 years
- A consent form for a disclosure of the history of arrivals and departures in the Unites States

Speculatively, I am from a Visa except country and have travelled to the US through the land border several times during the eligible period (for single day meetings). In the list of required documents this consent for disclosure form is specifically refereed to as "Consent to I-94". This could, potentially, be one of the reasons for this process in the case of my application.

There is nothing particularly surprising in the list of requested documents:
- Colour photocopies of all pages of passports from the relevant period
- Entry/ Exit records issued be the countries of your citizenship and/or all countries of current or past (permanent or temporary) resident status other than Canada.
- Provincial / Territorial Personal Health Claims summary
The a longer list of other if scenarios and required paperwork for rentals, home ownership, studying, employment / benefits claims, business ownership / self employment, and professional association memberships.

I'll be happy to answer specific questions relating to these forms if it is of use, and I suspect shall shortly be asking some of my own!

Oh, and the letter was dated 14th December, but not received by me until after the new year, so very helpful for the 60 days to respond (30 is stated in the FP letter separately.)
I don't think it is entirely true that RQ is based on random selection. I recently got a finger print request and my facts seem similar to yours. I did a multiple US/Canada zip code crossing for a day trip in the last 4 years.

JJ-C

May 17, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul 2011
Doc's Request.
Nov 4, 2013
Med's Request
Nov 4, 2013
Med's Done....
Sept 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Feb 21, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 25, 2014
LANDED..........
March 6, 2014
There are others in the forum who are far more acquainted with the U.S. Travel History and how to obtain it.

Additionally, there are other threads in which travel history is the subject of discussion, including some in which U.S. Travel History is the focus of discussion.

Good to see reports about progress in dealing with this process, and it should indeed help if those affected can update the forum periodically.

It would be especially helpful for those affected to report being scheduled for the test and interview, if and when that happens of course. IRCC has stated that applicants subject to this procedure should not see any delay in processing. Whether that is even possible remains to be seen.

As for contacting IRCC to check if a submission has been received, unless the applicant has some reason to be concerned about delivery there is little reason to contact IRCC to confirm receipt. While it should make little difference, remember than any contact about the case file in particular results in a notation of the action in the file . . . so a reviewing agent will see every occasion the applicant made a case specific contact. That should not affect decision-making much, if at all, but some might perceive that applicants with reason to be confident about their case are less likely to be concerned, and the converse for those with reason to lack confidence . . . and go looking to find the weakness that undermines the applicant's confidence. Again, not likely to raise a red flag but most applicants prefer to totally minimize the risk of drawing unwanted attention to their application.

REMINDERS:

-- Always make a full and accurate copy of what is being submitted before submitting it. Inconvenient, yes. But there are many reasons for doing this.

-- Use a courier service with tracking to submit. Not necessary to use registered service; no need to obtain a signature upon deliver. But using a courier service with tracking sufficiently increases the already high probability the package is delivered, and the applicant can confirm delivery without making a case specific inquiry to IRCC.
I got finger print request and test invitation the same day.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I don't think it is entirely true that RQ is based on random selection. I recently got a finger print request and my facts seem similar to yours. I did a multiple US/Canada zip code crossing for a day trip in the last 4 years.
Huge, huge difference between a mere Finger Print request and the subject of this thread, primarily PPQ-QAE CIT 0205 and related requests, among which a FP request is just one, the easiest one except for signing and submitting a consent for IRCC to directly access the applicant's U.S. travel history through government sharing arrangements.

The cover correspondence from IRCC, which is accompanied by the CIT 0205 Physical Presence Questionnaire itself and other requests, explicitly states that it is RANDOM. However, there are indeed some reasons to suspect it is, at the least, not entirely random.

To the extent your facts are similar to those of someone who was issued the PPQ, and you have NOT been issued PPQ, might actually evidence the PPQ is random. However, the odds are high that your facts and circumstances differ in a variety of ways so not withstanding some similarities, they probably are not similar enough to draw conclusions based on you NOT getting PPQ and someone else getting it.

With some exceptions, the questionnaires applicants have been receiving recently are the CIT 0205 PPQ-QAE. NOT RQ. Even though some of those who initially reported the "random questionnaire" for "quality assurance" referred to it as "RQ," these were actually the CIT 0205 PPQ-QAE.

So far it appears the CIT 0205 PPQ-QAE is issued to applicants prior to being scheduled for the test and interview. Recent RQs, in contrast, appear to have been issued at or after the test/interview. However, reports of RQ these days are so sporadic it is not clear that that procedure is still being employed as such . . . perhaps replaced by the PPQ procedure, or "exercise" as IRCC refers to it.

I got finger print request and test invitation the same day.
Likewise, huge difference. Fortunately not anywhere near as many are reporting PPQ as the number who report getting a Finger Print request. A FP request is way, way easier and less likely to cause problems than the PPQ, which is profoundly intrusive, requires the applicant to provide a broad range of documents showing proof of where the applicant lived, where the applicant worked, what business activities the applicant has been involved in, how often the applicant obtained provincial health care, and most are required to have a Canadian citizen reference who can attest to the applicant's life in Canada, including where the applicant lived and worked, and the applicant's social life for at least two years.

cherif2100

Mar 1, 2012
Visa Office......
Beirut
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2011/11/21
Doc's Request.
2012 / 07 /10
Nomination.....
2012/10/ 06
AOR Received.
2012 /12 / 19
File Transfer...
2013 to bucharest
Med's Request
2013/09/24
Med's Done....
27-SEP-2013 // in process 9 Nov
Interview........
2012/11/21
Passport Req..
2014/04/15
VISA ISSUED...
2014/04/23
LANDED..........
2014/05/14
it is really upsetting to know that someone who submitted their application for a citizenship in the third week of October (1 week after i submitted my application ) got already invited for the citizenship test, i am glad for my friend but when i realize how much time, money and hassle i have been spending so far collecting the PPQ papers plus the number of unpaid leaves i have been taking at work make me wonder why do we have to pay for all of this under a title ''random selection'', i am not worried about the outcome of this process because i have tons of proofs that i have been in canada all this time, i am only concerned that if i miss some documents (letters from non compliant third parties) of what i mentioned in my citizenship application may let the officer think i faked some information!

RajGill

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
Dpendbill -

I have completed 1008 days and in situation that if I wait to submit my application, I loose my pre-PR credit time.

I moved US due to famil reasons, is there any way I could submit my citizenship application and explain my situation to judge

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
it is really upsetting to know that someone who submitted their application for a citizenship in the third week of October (1 week after i submitted my application ) got already invited for the citizenship test, i am glad for my friend but when i realize how much time, money and hassle i have been spending so far collecting the PPQ papers plus the number of unpaid leaves i have been taking at work make me wonder why do we have to pay for all of this under a title ''random selection'', i am not worried about the outcome of this process because i have tons of proofs that i have been in canada all this time, i am only concerned that if i miss some documents (letters from non compliant third parties) of what i mentioned in my citizenship application may let the officer think i faked some information!
There is some risk that a qualified applicant who submits most of what is requested on time might encounter a problematic process, a long delay, the difficulties of a more or less contested presence case. BUT that risk should be LOW. You probably have little or no reason to worry so long as you provide most of what is requested and your paperwork illustrates the picture of a life lived in Canada.

It is, however, very difficult to predict for sure. This PPQ-QAE asks for more than the full-blown RQ. There are no reports, yet, about how IRCC has handled these PPQ-QAE cases. We are not sure yet that this is as RANDOM as IRCC states it is or whether something has triggered suspicion, leading to the PPQ.

Scores of applicants had significant gaps in what they submitted in response to RQ and yet, those who were qualified and for whom the whole picture tended to confirm a life in Canada, the worst they encountered was a lengthy delay . . . but at that time, even those who submitted really robust responses to RQ often faced the same delays. It is reasonable to expect IRCC will comparably approach these PPQ cases. But that is not for sure.

Dpendbill -

I have completed 1008 days and in situation that if I wait to submit my application, I loose my pre-PR credit time.

I moved US due to famil reasons, is there any way I could submit my citizenship application and explain my situation to judge
Not sure if this has anything to do with the PPQ-QAE process.

Also not sure what you are asking. The 1095 minimum physical presence requirement is a fixed minimum for all adult applicants. There is NO leeway. 1094 days is NOT enough. That is, one day short MANDATES denying the application.

(Prior to June 11, 2015 there was a RESIDENCY requirement, which some met even though they were not present in Canada the 1095 days that was required to meet a physical presence test. Those were cases which a Citizenship Judge approved. Nothing like that in the current law. A CJ cannot approve an applicant who falls short of the 1095 days requirement, not even if it is by just one day.)

RajGill

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
There is some risk that a qualified applicant who submits most of what is requested on time might encounter a problematic process, a long delay, the difficulties of a more or less contested presence case. BUT that risk should be LOW. You probably have little or no reason to worry so long as you provide most of what is requested and your paperwork illustrates the picture of a life lived in Canada.

It is, however, very difficult to predict for sure. This PPQ-QAE asks for more than the full-blown RQ. There are no reports, yet, about how IRCC has handled these PPQ-QAE cases. We are not sure yet that this is as RANDOM as IRCC states it is or whether something has triggered suspicion, leading to the PPQ.

Scores of applicants had significant gaps in what they submitted in response to RQ and yet, those who were qualified and for whom the whole picture tended to confirm a life in Canada, the worst they encountered was a lengthy delay . . . but at that time, even those who submitted really robust responses to RQ often faced the same delays. It is reasonable to expect IRCC will comparably approach these PPQ cases. But that is not for sure.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the PPQ-QAE process.

Also not sure what you are asking. The 1095 minimum physical presence requirement is a fixed minimum for all adult applicants. There is NO leeway. 1094 days is NOT enough. That is, one day short MANDATES denying the application.

(Prior to June 11, 2015 there was a RESIDENCY requirement, which some met even though they were not present in Canada the 1095 days that was required to meet a physical presence test. Those were cases which a Citizenship Judge approved. Nothing like that in the current law. A CJ cannot approve an applicant who falls short of the 1095 days requirement, not even if it is by just one day.)
I am in situation that to fulfill 45 days I need to stay 90 days as I keep loosing pre-PR credit time of 2013. Additionally, my family is separate so in my citizenship application I want to make request to give me credit of pre- PR stay as I came to canada in 2009.

Do you think there is scope to get your application into consideration

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am in situation that to fulfill 45 days I need to stay 90 days as I keep loosing pre-PR credit time of 2013. Additionally, my family is separate so in my citizenship application I want to make request to give me credit of pre- PR stay as I came to canada in 2009.

Do you think there is scope to get your application into consideration
This has nothing to do with the subject in this topic.

If you do not meet the minimum actual physical presence requirement, NO, you are not eligible for grant citizenship.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
2 queries:
  • For CIT 0205, are documents requested for all family applicants in family application, or any one only?
  • And has any of the CIT0205 receipt got test invite yet among the latest fury of IRCC issuing CIT0205s, or is this turning out to be a new delay tactic from IRCC to (randomly) harass the chosen ones?

Thanks dpenabill, and all.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
2 queries:
  • For CIT 0205, are documents requested for all family applicants in family application, or any one only?
  • And has any of the CIT0205 receipt got test invite yet among the latest fury of IRCC issuing CIT0205s, or is this turning out to be a new delay tactic from IRCC to (randomly) harass the chosen ones?

The first part of the second question is a good one and I hope those going through this process will indeed keep the forum informed if and when they get notice of any next step, whatever it is. But of course news of proceeding to the test would be important news.

I highly doubt the CIT 0205 is a "delay" tactic and it is almost certainly NOT meant to harass any applicant. That does not mean it is not overly harsh for those affected. That does not foretell to what extent this will delay the process compared to those whose applications do not get diverted into any non-routine processing (any extra or additional actions or steps).

I do not know the answer to the first question but based on how the RQ process worked over the years, typically a family application was held up as long as and with the family member who got the RQ. There were some reported cases where separating the RQ'd applicant from the family was allowed, but that was NOT the usual. And, ironically, in one of those cases where a non-RQ'd spouse asked for and was allowed to have her application processed separately from her RQ'd spouse's application, he ended up scheduled for the oath sooner than she did, the separating of the files put her into a longer queue (as I recall, there was some further maneuvering pursuant to which they eventually were scheduled for the oath together).

Applicants who received the PPQ-QAE need to read all the requests and instructions carefully and respond accordingly. If IRCC wants information for additional family members, the instructions should be clear about that.

As I noted, for RQ'd applicants who had filed with family, it appeared that CIC (this history pre-dates the transition to IRCC) targeted one family member anticipating a response which would sufficiently resolve any questions for all members of the family, or fail to do so. Thus, only one applicant got the RQ, but the others were in effect, in a practical sense, joined in waiting for that RQ response to be assessed.

Mike053

Feb 9, 2009
The first part of the second question is a good one and I hope those going through this process will indeed keep the forum informed if and when they get notice of any next step, whatever it is. But of course news of proceeding to the test would be important news.

I highly doubt the CIT 0205 is a "delay" tactic and it is almost certainly NOT meant to harass any applicant. That does not mean it is not overly harsh for those affected. That does not foretell to what extent this will delay the process compared to those whose applications do not get diverted into any non-routine processing (any extra or additional actions or steps).

I do not know the answer to the first question but based on how the RQ process worked over the years, typically a family application was held up as long as and with the family member who got the RQ. There were some reported cases where separating the RQ'd applicant from the family was allowed, but that was NOT the usual. And, ironically, in one of those cases where a non-RQ'd spouse asked for and was allowed to have her application processed separately from her RQ'd spouse's application, he ended up scheduled for the oath sooner than she did, the separating of the files put her into a longer queue (as I recall, there was some further maneuvering pursuant to which they eventually were scheduled for the oath together).

Applicants who received the PPQ-QAE need to read all the requests and instructions carefully and respond accordingly. If IRCC wants information for additional family members, the instructions should be clear about that.

As I noted, for RQ'd applicants who had filed with family, it appeared that CIC (this history pre-dates the transition to IRCC) targeted one family member anticipating a response which would sufficiently resolve any questions for all members of the family, or fail to do so. Thus, only one applicant got the RQ, but the others were in effect, in a practical sense, joined in waiting for that RQ response to be assessed.
Wonderful reply, as always!!

But looking at fact the not many, infact none, of the newly random QA RQ applications have got a test invite yet - seems very likely that these RQ responses are doing into some IRCC dark rooms and looking at very significant delays.

As someone might call it, random bad luck.

joksol

Jan 7, 2018
2 queries:

Guys. Please Any CIT 0205 receipt should post test invite. We will appreciate it.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Guys. Please Any CIT 0205 receipt should post test invite. We will appreciate it.
Seems none so far......

Does anybody even have some sort of confirmation that IRCC has even looked yet at the paperwork sent in response to CIT0205?

This new Random RQ is turning out to be another IRCC disaster.

JamesBond007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
2 queries:

Did not submitted my application yet. Still in the process of gathering documents.