+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Road trip to Canada via Car and mentioning the car in 'Goods to accompany'

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
Hello All,
Quick question regarding the 'Good to follow' and 'Goods that accompany'.... I apologize if this is a common question. I did some research on the forum and I think I know what to do. But wanted to confirm as things could be a little different from COVID perspective.

I did the first landing in Canada in 2018 January. I stayed there for 2 days and came back to the US...(and got my PR card mailed to a friend's place in Canada.. who mailed it back to me in the US).
During that initial landing, I did not provide the 'goods to follow' or 'goods that accompany' list. I did not provide and the officer did not ask either.

Now in a few weeks (before the end of January 2021), I need to really make the move... to keep my PR valid.

I plan to take a road trip to Toronto, Ontario via Detroit, and take one of my two cars. I plan to get all my other household items shipped via some moving company in the coming months. For my 2nd car, I will come back to the US (via air I guess on H1B) and then drive it back into Canada.

1. I wanted to confirm/ask that I can provide the 'Goods that accompany' and 'goods to follow' list during this trip and that in my 'Goods that accompany', I will provide the info on my car (which I will be traveling in)., and a few items which I will have in the car.
I will also provide the 'Goods to follow' list at the border during this trip, where I will provide all the other items which will be shipped by the moving company., and also the info on my second car which I will bring in later..

Does anyone sees any concerns with the above approach?... or is it better to (somehow?) provide the info on all the 'goods to follow list' ahead of this trip to the Canadian authorities ... so that the customs/border officers know about these items before I make this trip.?

2. Based on some research, I think I will have to really export my car and have it imported into Canada during the trip. I cannot really just take my car in Canada with a US license plate as a PR holder...
Please let me know if this export/import is really mandatory for me as a PR holder when entering Canada, or is it possible to drive the car into Canada without export/import, and get it exported after entering Canada?
(the reason I was preferring to delay this export/import is that I will be making more than 1 - 2 trips back into the US, and I am thinking it will be easier for me to bring a US license plate car on my H1B visa and during the final trip, get it exported...)

Thank You!

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello All,
Quick question regarding the 'Good to follow' and 'Goods that accompany'.... I apologize if this is a common question. I did some research on the forum and I think I know what to do. But wanted to confirm as things could be a little different from COVID perspective.

I did the first landing in Canada in 2018 January. I stayed there for 2 days and came back to the US...(and got my PR card mailed to a friend's place in Canada.. who mailed it back to me in the US).
During that initial landing, I did not provide the 'goods to follow' or 'goods that accompany' list. I did not provide and the officer did not ask either.

Now in a few weeks (before the end of January 2021), I need to really make the move... to keep my PR valid.

I plan to take a road trip to Toronto, Ontario via Detroit, and take one of my two cars. I plan to get all my other household items shipped via some moving company in the coming months. For my 2nd car, I will come back to the US (via air I guess on H1B) and then drive it back into Canada.

1. I wanted to confirm/ask that I can provide the 'Goods that accompany' and 'goods to follow' list during this trip and that in my 'Goods that accompany', I will provide the info on my car (which I will be traveling in)., and a few items which I will have in the car.
I will also provide the 'Goods to follow' list at the border during this trip, where I will provide all the other items which will be shipped by the moving company., and also the info on my second car which I will bring in later..

Does anyone sees any concerns with the above approach?... or is it better to (somehow?) provide the info on all the 'goods to follow list' ahead of this trip to the Canadian authorities ... so that the customs/border officers know about these items before I make this trip.?

2. Based on some research, I think I will have to really export my car and have it imported into Canada during the trip. I cannot really just take my car in Canada with a US license plate as a PR holder...
Please let me know if this export/import is really mandatory for me as a PR holder when entering Canada, or is it possible to drive the car into Canada without export/import, and get it exported after entering Canada?
(the reason I was preferring to delay this export/import is that I will be making more than 1 - 2 trips back into the US, and I am thinking it will be easier for me to bring a US license plate car on my H1B visa and during the final trip, get it exported...)

Thank You!
Yes, there are many concerns. You should have provided the "goods that accompany you" at the time you landed, that means what you were bringing at that time. You should have provided the "goods to follow" form at that time as well which would have been stamped by Immigration officer making anything you brought into the country after your landing duty free. Since you didn't do that potentially anything you bring into Canada is subject to tariffs.

For example. Most of your personal belongings will probably be ok but if you are bringing in large amounts of jewellery, paintings, brand new clothes or other valuable items like that they will be wondering why you didn't previously declare it. If you are bringing in a 10 year old car probably not a problem but if you are bringing in a 2 year old Lexus you will have issues. Also with importing cars to Canada they have to pass an inspection in order to have it licensed here, as not all the laws are the same as to minimum equipment in them between USA and Canada.

I think for the most part they try to be lenient but it was your responsibility to know about and have the forms filled out when you landed 2 years ago. Good luck.

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
Hi @Canada2020eh -
Thank you for taking the time to review my lengthy post... Appreciate your help!
So, I was under the same impression, but after researching a bit more... ran into this thread...

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/cbsa-things-to-follow.551493/

Please let me know your thoughts on this....
I am wondering it might not be certain if they will accept the lists now when I make the road trip there....
But, to take my chances... I am thinking that I just prepare the list and show them at the port entry, in case they are willing to accept it...
Thoughts?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi @Canada2020eh -
Thank you for taking the time to review my lengthy post... Appreciate your help!
So, I was under the same impression, but after researching a bit more... ran into this thread...

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/cbsa-things-to-follow.551493/

Please let me know your thoughts on this....
I am wondering it might not be certain if they will accept the lists now when I make the road trip there....
But, to take my chances... I am thinking that I just prepare the list and show them at the port entry, in case they are willing to accept it...
Thoughts?
That certainly looks positive for your situation but you won't know until you get to the border, I hadn't seen that before. Reading through it, it seems like it should apply to you. Here's the link to it. Good luck.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Reactions: bluesaffron

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
Hello All,

Thank You!
I stand to be corrected but it is my understanding that goods accompanying and goods to follow lists only need to be provided when you come to Canada full time i.e you physically settle in Canada which is different to just landing or flag poling to activate simply PR and then returning to your home country.

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
Thanks, @Beltex, and @Canada2020eh
So, I will fill these two forms... BSF186 and BSF186A for both 'goods to follow' and 'goods to accompany' when I do the road trip to Canada next week.

Let's see what the officers say...

QQ: Do you know if there is a way to submit these forms online somewhere, so the officers have this list in their records, or are these meant only to be manually filled out and presented at the time of border crossing (or port of entry)?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thanks, @Beltex, and @Canada2020eh
So, I will fill these two forms... BSF186 and BSF186A for both 'goods to follow' and 'goods to accompany' when I do the road trip to Canada next week.

Let's see what the officers say...

QQ: Do you know if there is a way to submit these forms online somewhere, so the officers have this list in their records, or are these meant only to be manually filled out and presented at the time of border crossing (or port of entry)?
Nowhere to submit it just bring it with you to the border. Good luck.

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
FYI.. .just to close the thread. Even though, my initial landing was in Jan 2018, (where I did not provide the GTA and GTF forms), I finally provided them the forms on my second landing in Jan 2021. They did accept the list and stamped it etc.

tertiaryworld

Dec 6, 2020
Hello,

Hope everyone is doing great!

I have a situation with Car Import and your help is greatly appreciated.

I moved from the USA as a permanent resident recently and trying to import my car. My car was moved to Canada by carrier and I didn't drive it myself through the border. When I initiated RIV Form2 process, I was told by RIV that my car is RIV exempt due to work visa. I am not sure who made a mistake is it moving company or CBSA because I provided my CoPR to the moving company.

Noticeable points are that movers did ITN# and the car title has stamp which is very light inked to read but it looks like "US Vehicle Export" and then date etc.

Wondering if my car is permanently exported from the USA? if yes, then should I just go to the CBSA office and get the New Form1 without exception?

In case, it is temporarily exported from the USA, then what should I do? I am not USA resident/citizen, therefore, me crossing the border and doing the permanent export won't be possible.

TIA!!