+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBSA - Things to Follow

zsheikh

Mar 28, 2018
Hi All,
I wanted to ask that upon our 1st landing to Canada we clearly showed our intention that we will return later after 1 year so we can wrap up things back home.

Therefore, we did not presented the "things to follow" list at CBSA counter.

I would like to know that now we are gonna do our 2nd landing; can we still submit the "things to follow" list at CBSA office or have we lost the chance for that? ( to avoid duty in case if we still plan to bring things from overseas"

Rgds
ZES

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi All,
I wanted to ask that upon our 1st landing to Canada we clearly showed our intention that we will return later after 1 year so we can wrap up things back home.

Therefore, we did not presented the "things to follow" list at CBSA counter.

I would like to know that now we are gonna do our 2nd landing; can we still submit the "things to follow" list at CBSA office or have we lost the chance for that? ( to avoid duty in case if we still plan to bring things from overseas"

Rgds
ZES
Yes, if you are eligible under the following conditions.

SETTLER (tariff item No. 9807.00.00)
I hereby declare that I have read and qualify for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 and that:

1. I am entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a permanent residence for a period in excess of 12 months and I arrived in Canada on (date).
  2. With the exception of wedding gifts, bride's trousseau, alcoholic beverages andtobacco products described in the Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00 Exemption Order, all household and personal effects imported or to be imported by me under this tariff item have actually been owned, possessed, and used abroad by me prior to the date of my arrival in Canada.
  3. All goods imported are my personal or household property and they will not be used in Canada for any commercial purpose.
  4. If any item is sold or otherwise disposed of in Canada within 12 months of the date of its importation, I will notify a CBSA Office of such fact and pay all duties owing at the time.

zsheikh

Mar 28, 2018
Yes, if you are eligible under the following conditions.

SETTLER (tariff item No. 9807.00.00)
I hereby declare that I have read and qualify for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 and that:

1. I am entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a permanent residence for a period in excess of 12 months and I arrived in Canada on (date).
  2. With the exception of wedding gifts, bride's trousseau, alcoholic beverages andtobacco products described in the Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00 Exemption Order, all household and personal effects imported or to be imported by me under this tariff item have actually been owned, possessed, and used abroad by me prior to the date of my arrival in Canada.
  3. All goods imported are my personal or household property and they will not be used in Canada for any commercial purpose.
  4. If any item is sold or otherwise disposed of in Canada within 12 months of the date of its importation, I will notify a CBSA Office of such fact and pay all duties owing at the time.
Thanks for your quick response Zardoz.

In our case, Yes, this will be the first time where we intend to live in Canada for a period more than 12 months.
So this means that its absolutely fine that when we are going to Canada for our 2nd time now; we can submit the "goods to follow" list at CBSA and that will be all tax exempted?

Rgds