+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

rheumatoid arthritis - medical

RRfromfaraway

Star Member
Oct 7, 2015
Does anyone have any experience with this while doing their medical? I was only diagnosed a few months ago and taking medication which I told about the doctor. She said CIC will probably ask for more information from the rheumatologist I am seeing.

If anyone can tell me if I should worry about not passing the medical, please let me know.

Sita1987

Star Member
Jun 9, 2015
New Delhi
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-11-2015
Med's Done....
08-11-2015
Passport Req..
30-03-2016
RRfromfaraway said:
Does anyone have any experience with this while doing their medical? I was only diagnosed a few months ago and taking medication which I told about the doctor. She said CIC will probably ask for more information from the rheumatologist I am seeing.

If anyone can tell me if I should worry about not passing the medical, please let me know.
As far as I know it should not cause you much trouble. It actually depends on the progress of RA in your case. It should be a cause for concern only if it has already progressed very severely leading to a disability in any joint or severely impacting your movement.

In my case I was diagnosed with PsA (psoriatic arthritis) a year back...the medical doc whom I went for check-up just made a note of the medicines I am taking, looking at the prescription from my rheumatologist. And rest he said should be fine.

Fingers crossed. I am yet to submit my e-APR will let you know of the progress.

RRfromfaraway

Star Member
Oct 7, 2015
Good luck to you too!

At first i thought there is no way this could cause any issues, but I so anal about every single detail after seeing people being declined for all kind of reasons....

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RRfromfaraway said:
Good luck to you too!

At first i thought there is no way this could cause any issues, but I so anal about every single detail after seeing people being declined for all kind of reasons....
The two medical considerations are - 1) do you have something contagious and serious that could be a threat to the health of the Canadian people, and 2) will any condition you have cost more than the average person uses in healthcare each year.

The answer to the first question will be no. To get the answer to the second question, they probably will want a little more information than they want from the average applicant, and may send you for a further evaluation. But RA is relatively common, there are certainly many Canadians being treated for it, and so, if the cost of the medication and follow-up isn't exorbitant, you should be fine.

Another consideration is that if they turn you down for a medical condition, you will get a fairness letter first that allows you to state your case as to why you should be admitted. Many people have litigated medical denials in courts, and many of those have won - at some cost to CIC. So they don't turn down people for medical reasons lightly, they most likely will not turn you down, either, and if they do, you will have a chance to appeal - and I suggest getting a lawyer if it comes to that, as they will be able to review the cases and will know how to best frame your situation.

But really, I suspect that is an unlikely event.

whyarun_123

May 16, 2018
My wife also has RA with treatment currently undergoing. But overall she is in perfect condition. Our application was submitted July 12th but no update since then (they did ask for additional medical result though).
Can other folks with RA medical condition plz comment? Did your application finally approve.
Thanks a lot!

goose123

Mar 15, 2018
Oh...............i have mentioned that...
i have told him that my RA is in recession, and i am taking mild dose of Methotrexate with folic acid.

do u think it can be inadmissible condition to canada.
It depends on the cost of your medication in Canada. But from what I have seen, it shouldn't be a problem.

I too am suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis and my medicals were cleared under the usual timeline (15 days). Hope this helps.

loneangel16

May 29, 2018
M
Oh...............i have mentioned that...
i have told him that my RA is in recession, and i am taking mild dose of Methotrexate with folic acid.

do u think it can be inadmissible condition to canada.
My doctor had asked me to not mention it.

Anyway, good luck. Fingers crossed for your application.. Hope medicals are cleared. I don't think it should be of any problem

Navtej Singh

Dec 1, 2016
It depends on the cost of your medication in Canada. But from what I have seen, it shouldn't be a problem.

I too am suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis and my medicals were cleared under the usual timeline (15 days). Hope this helps.
Hello,
Just a quick question - why stage was your condition and how much was your medication costing at the time of application.

I have Ankylosing spondylitis too.
Would appreciate your response.