+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to canada

light_bulb

Nov 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm a canadian citizen, who has left Canada 3 years ago to study graduate school in the US.

Due to not having any spare money, and being a grad student, I did not return to canada for 3 years.

I am finally coming back to canada on a flight within a few months.

I'm concerned about the following:
the customs people will give me a hard time since I was away for 3 years.

Soon after I finish grad school within 2 years from now... I will return back to Canada for good.

Please give me any advice on how to explain this to my customs officer.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) They might give you a hard time but it is not due to the fact you were away for 3 years. They give me a hard time even I was only away for a week.
2) Just explain and I think it would be fine.

light_bulb

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

I should not have to worry about "not being a resident" right?

I am still financially dependent on my parents and my home is in canada.

I'm worried that they will tell me that I'm not a resident of canada anymore or a resident of the province.
Is there a chance this will happen?

Also, I can't even honestly remember the exact date that I left canada (it was within the past 3 years)...
Is this a problem?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You are a Canadian citizen. You cannot be rejected at the border for any reason.

See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf Section 9.

A BSO at a port of entry should examine Canadian citizens as expeditiously as possible. Once the officer establishes that a person is a Canadian citizen, the examination should end and the person should be allowed to enter Canada without further delay. It is not appropriate for BSOs to elicit further personal information from a Canadian citizen.