+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada by land with CoPR and Passport only

xjustin

Jul 5, 2021
Hi All,

I got my CoPR on Feb 20 2020 and the expiry date on it is July 21 2020.
The COVID-19 pandemic hit a few weeks later and I was unable to schedule a landing interview in Ontario or do a flagpole run, so they automatically activated my PR. I have not left Canada since January 1 2020 (I was on vacation for a couple of weeks), so I have mostly resided in Canada for the last 3 years.

Due to personal reasons, I did not apply for a PR card until recently and now I find myself in a situation where I need to leave Canada for a couple of weeks before returning.

I know that without a PR card or PRTD I will be unable to board a flight to Canada, however, someone told me that I should be able to cross the border by private vehicle or foot at a land border (I was thinking Detroit into Windsor) with just my CoPR and passport.

Is that true?

My main concern is that the "expiry date" on my CoPR is July 21 2020. Is this just the deadline until when I was supposed to make sure my PR was activated?

I tried searching on the IRCC websites, but didn't find the information I was looking for.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

I got my CoPR on Feb 20 2020 and the expiry date on it is July 21 2020.
The COVID-19 pandemic hit a few weeks later and I was unable to schedule a landing interview in Ontario or do a flagpole run, so they automatically activated my PR. I have not left Canada since January 1 2020 (I was on vacation for a couple of weeks), so I have mostly resided in Canada for the last 3 years.

Due to personal reasons, I did not apply for a PR card until recently and now I find myself in a situation where I need to leave Canada for a couple of weeks before returning.

I know that without a PR card or PRTD I will be unable to board a flight to Canada, however, someone told me that I should be able to cross the border by private vehicle or foot at a land border (I was thinking Detroit into Windsor) with just my CoPR and passport.

Is that true?

My main concern is that the "expiry date" on my CoPR is July 21 2020. Is this just the deadline until when I was supposed to make sure my PR was activated?

I tried searching on the IRCC websites, but didn't find the information I was looking for.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

Thank you
Yes, you can re-enter Canada via a land border in a private vehicle using your COPR. The validity date on the COPR is only related to landing and becoming a PR.

xjustin

Jul 5, 2021
Yes, you can re-enter Canada via a land border in a private vehicle using your COPR. The validity date on the COPR is only related to landing and becoming a PR.
Thank you for the reply, that's a relief to hear. So to summarize, I will only need my valid passport and paper CoPR? I also got a letter from IRCC stating that my PR has been activated.

I wonder why CoPR is not outlined as a valid document here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#s1

xjustin

Jul 5, 2021
Also, out of curiosity, do you know why it is possible for me to return by land using CoPR+passport but not by a commercial flight?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also, out of curiosity, do you know why it is possible for me to return by land using CoPR+passport but not by a commercial flight?
There were numerous experience like this posted in these forums.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's not a travel document like a PR card (apart for your initial landing).

xjustin

Jul 5, 2021
It's not a travel document like a PR card (apart for your initial landing).
What does that imply? That the people checking passports can't validate my PR status, but the CBSA at the land border can use the CoPR to validate my PR status and allow me into Canada?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Reactions: scylla

xjustin

Jul 5, 2021
Thanks for the help. My only other concern is that since I did not do a landing interview or a flagpole run due to Covid-19, I never got my CoPR stamped/signed, as I mentioned before, I got my PR activated automatically.

That shouldn't cause any issues, I assume?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the help. My only other concern is that since I did not do a landing interview or a flagpole run due to Covid-19, I never got my CoPR stamped/signed, as I mentioned before, I got my PR activated automatically.

That shouldn't cause any issues, I assume?
The odd thing here is that usually the PR card is automatically issued, you don't (i think) have to apply for it on landing. With the virtual process some things might have fallen through cracks.

To get extra comfort I'd call ircc to inquire and check your status. Cbsa at border can and usually would check status in system using your uci., I believe, so if you're in the system and they can establish that you are you, should he okay.

Also would suggest bringing the confirmation that you are a PR email.

Reactions: xjustin

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What does that imply? That the people checking passports can't validate my PR status, but the CBSA at the land border can use the CoPR to validate my PR status and allow me into Canada?
Difference is that people checking passports to board a flight are airline personnel abroad and they will not let you board. Officers at immigration in airport in Canada technically have same rules but don't see many cases like this - because people without PR card or prtd can't get on the planes.

Reactions: xjustin

xjustin

Jul 5, 2021
The odd thing here is that usually the PR card is automatically issued, you don't (i think) have to apply for it.

To get extra comfort I'd call ircc to inquire and check your status.

Also would suggest bringing the confirmation that you are a PR email.
I've heard that before, but maybe things changed with Covid-19 or I fell into a weird gap when they were uncertain of the process. For example, my friend who I moved here with from Ireland submitted his PR application maybe two weeks after I did and got his CoPR a few weeks after I did.

I did not have to do a phone landing interview and just got the PDF letter in my IRCC profile (I think I got an email too) and my PR was automatically activated. My friend had to do a phone interview.

Neither of us got our PR cards automatically issued, unfortunately. I did get an invite to the portal to apply for my PR card, he did not.

But yeah, seems like I should be able to enter by land crossing if I have CoPR or some document to prove my PR status and a valid passport.

I will be calling IRCC first thing tomorrow morning. I was unable to get through earlier today.

xjustin

Jul 5, 2021
@armoured - I just checked my emails and found the invitation to the IRCC Client Portal, here is the first paragraph and it explains why my PR card was not automatically issued.

"You were landed on 2020/05/04 and you have been a permanent resident in Canada since that date. Our records indicate that you never received your Permanent Resident card. Since the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020, IRCC has had to stop some services to protect the health and safety of clients and employees. The Department has come up with innovative ways to conduct business. We are glad to advise you that we can now use the Permanent Resident Confirmation Portal in order to proceed with your PR card to production."

I really should have gotten my PR card by now, but it was a combination of personal reasons and being a little too relaxed until I realized I'll need to travel soon, so here I am.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I've heard that before, but maybe things changed with Covid-19 or I fell into a weird gap when they were uncertain of the process. For example, my friend who I moved here with from Ireland submitted his PR application maybe two weeks after I did and got his CoPR a few weeks after I did.

I did not have to do a phone landing interview and just got the PDF letter in my IRCC profile (I think I got an email too) and my PR was automatically activated. My friend had to do a phone interview.

Neither of us got our PR cards automatically issued, unfortunately. I did get an invite to the portal to apply for my PR card, he did not.

But yeah, seems like I should be able to enter by land crossing if I have CoPR or some document to prove my PR status and a valid passport.

I will be calling IRCC first thing tomorrow morning. I was unable to get through earlier today.
Clearly there were gaps or glitches with new system. I didn't know that they sent an invite to apply for card.

Would still call to confirm status.