+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning back to Canada with expired PR card (travelling to Mexico in 3 weeks)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
My wife, son and I are stuck in the UK. Son and I are canadian citizen but my wife has a UK passport with an expired PR card (just expired less than 2 months ago) we were totally unaware of this and only found out at the airport before reaching the counter.....really annoying!
I’m looking into applying for for a PRTD for her....or should I fly to the states and drive in? What would I tell the us customs and border control?
A PRTD application might take a week or more to process so depends if you can wait that long given there is no published processing time for a PRTD. Your wife will need to apply online for an ESTA to transit the US if she does not already have one, ensure use the official application page. When transiting through US just have to tell them you are doing exactly that transiting, show them anything with your address on or onward travel arrangements if they ask for anything and although nobody can predict anything should not be any issue. Your wife can just show her expired PR card and passport when entering Canada via a land border although note cannot be on commercial transportation

You will not be the first or last to miss the requirement to travel with a valid PR card and whilst many people can understand the need to have a valid card there has to be a better process in place for obtaining a PRTD.

Last edited:

nioero

Feb 18, 2019
Sorry to bump up an ild thread.

I believe there is still a loop hole in this scenario. There is a visa exempt program for Chinese passport holder transiting through Canada with final US destination and it is called China transit program. Of course it has to meet a lot of criteria to make it work but it is doable.

For instance, a Chinese passport holder who has a US visa with an expired pr card can transit through Toronto when meeting all conditions.

What happens when the person arrives Toronto and decide to enter. Say he or she is still a PR, would he or she be refused entry? Would airline get into trouble?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Sorry to bump up an ild thread.

I believe there is still a loop hole in this scenario. There is a visa exempt program for Chinese passport holder transiting through Canada with final US destination and it is called China transit program. Of course it has to meet a lot of criteria to make it work but it is doable.

For instance, a Chinese passport holder who has a US visa with an expired pr card can transit through Toronto when meeting all conditions.

What happens when the person arrives Toronto and decide to enter. Say he or she is still a PR, would he or she be refused entry? Would airline get into trouble?
Others can comment but maybe the way it should work should be the airline at checkin should see that the flight transits Canada and the traveller is a PR therefore needs a PR card or PRTD to travel via Canada given a PR would be visa free to enter or transit Canada regardless of any program. The China transit program I would think is for non PRs not for PRs who cannot apply for either a transit visa or TRV.

If for some reason there was no PR check at checkin and the passenger decided to enter Canada at the transit point assuming they have access to immigration , then as a PR even with an expired PR card they would still be entitled to enter the country even though may get a secondary inspection. Of course their luggage would probably continue on its way to the US assuming checked through.

If you are speaking from experience then fine but does not sound like a guaranteed loophole, at least my personal view assuming airlines follow the guidelines for PR checkin.

nioero

Feb 18, 2019
Others can comment but maybe the way it should work should be the airline at checkin should see that the flight transits Canada and the traveller is a PR therefore needs a PR card or PRTD to travel via Canada given a PR would be visa free to enter or transit Canada regardless of any program. The China transit program I would think is for non PRs not for PRs who cannot apply for either a transit visa or TRV.

If for some reason there was no PR check at checkin and the passenger decided to enter Canada at the transit point assuming they have access to immigration , then as a PR even with an expired PR card they would still be entitled to enter the country even though may get a secondary inspection. Of course their luggage would probably continue on its way to the US assuming checked through.

If you are speaking from experience then fine but does not sound like a guaranteed loophole, at least my personal view assuming airlines follow the guidelines for PR checkin.
Thanks for the response. The problem is that the government website lists all the conditions but does not say that the person cannot be a PR.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks for the response. The problem is that the government website lists all the conditions but does not say that the person cannot be a PR.
Agreed but assumption by the government I guess is that they assume a PR should have a valid card or PRTD to travel to Canada whether that is transit or entry. In either case a traveller is travelling to Canada and even if in transit they are travelling to Canada.

Same as you I have no information whether this loophole would work or not other than to speculate that given a PR does not need a visa anyway then a PR might not be either transit waiver or transit visa candidate but simply a PR. So can only assume that for example if a PR failed the transit without visa requirements then a PR card or PRTD would be the only option and that maybe that check happens upfront for PRs. The key statement in below link that airline must check eligibility before boarding.

Guess can always call an airline that participates in the program although expect they may follow the PR card line. Only other option is for someone to turn up at checkin see what happens.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/transit/without-visa/china-transit-eligibility.html

nioero

Feb 18, 2019
This is definitely doable and don’t ask me how I know. However it is really up to the airlines to decide to check the PR status. However if it is the first time to fly an airline and it doesn’t have any passenger information, how would it know if the person is a PR or not.

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

This is definitely doable and don’t ask me how I know. However it is really up to the airlines to decide to check the PR status. However if it is the first time to fly an airline and it doesn’t have any passenger information, how would it know if the person is a PR or not.
1. Airlines have a system connected to IRCC that once they input a passengers information information will determine if they have an ETA (if required) and it returns either board or don't board. Otherwise you have to show either a PR Card, PRTD, or a Canadian passport.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Like I said I can only speculate on how the system is supposed to work and a flight transiting Canada is still a flight to Canada and does not matter which airline as they are all using the same system to determine a passengers visa or PR status? If someone wants to chance it then they are free to do so but advised to have a plan B.

Last edited:

ahahanicah

Mar 25, 2020
Goodevening, i just want to ask if am I allowed to go back to Canada as the same day when my PR card expiring?
flight: april22
Pr card validity:april22

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Goodevening, i just want to ask if am I allowed to go back to Canada as the same day when my PR card expiring?
flight: april22
Pr card validity:april22
Is your flight scheduled to land in Canada on April 22 or April 23?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It’s still April 22 11PM I’ll land Canada in my flight.
Can you get an earlier flight? Can you leave a day earlier?

This is a risky plan because if any of your flight times shift, you won't be arriving in Canada until the 23rd and then it's possible you migh be refused boarding.

ahahanicah

Mar 25, 2020
Sorry but I got no choice at this time, to make story short. I supposed to go back in Canada last month on March 24 then my flight got cancelled then I rebooked on March 27, paid a fee and got cancelled again. Rebooked my 3rd flight and sadly it got cancelled again waisted a total of 1.3k CAD because they refused to give a refund. I emailed the Canadian Embassy here in the Philippines asking for help and they recommend to take the ANA Airlines instead so I can go back to Canada after weeks of being stranded here in the Philippines. Now I paid a ticket again with ANA Airlines worth 1.3k CAD again costing me a total of 2.6k CAD because of this COVID 19. Now I’m running out of money and I don’t know what to do. I’m just hoping that the Immigration in Vancouver will understand my situation and give me an exemption.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sorry but I got no choice at this time, to make story short. I supposed to go back in Canada last month on March 24 then my flight got cancelled then I rebooked on March 27, paid a fee and got cancelled again. Rebooked my 3rd flight and sadly it got cancelled again waisted a total of 1.3k CAD because they refused to give a refund. I emailed the Canadian Embassy here in the Philippines asking for help and they recommend to take the ANA Airlines instead so I can go back to Canada after weeks of being stranded here in the Philippines. Now I paid a ticket again with ANA Airlines worth 1.3k CAD again costing me a total of 2.6k CAD because of this COVID 19. Now I’m running out of money and I don’t know what to do. I’m just hoping that the Immigration in Vancouver will understand my situation and give me an exemption.
It's not about CBSA; if you make it to the POE, you will be allowed entry. It's about the airline letting you board the plane.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Luggage would be on its way to the USA, the agent would not short check it . The passenger would not even see that baggage in Canada . And have no clue how’d you get it back from the USA. Luggage is in bond till it’s cleared by the owner , who, if this scheme worked , wouldn’t even be in the country . CBP in the states could just have the luggage destroyed, since it would be obvious by looking at the reservation what the passenger did . The luggage was tagged to where the passenger held a ticket and confirmed that’s where they were traveling too
Or it would be held in US pre-clearance bag room. And the passenger would have to convince the CBP in Canada to release the bag. In a nutshell , you’re playing with fire

Last edited: