+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning back to Canada with expired PR card (travelling to Mexico in 3 weeks)

Owareyes

Oct 16, 2018
Sure you can enter Canada no problem, but it's getting here that will be a big issue. In order to board an airplane from Cancun to Canada, you must show a valid PR card or PR Travel Document to the airline at check-in, no exceptions. Without these, you will be denied boarding at the airport and stranded in Cancun.

So if your PR card doesn't arrive in time you only have 2 options:
1. Apply for PR TD when you arrive in Cancun. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html
The Visa Application Centre is in Mexico city, so you'd need to mail the PT TD app plus your passport there, have them process the PR TD, and mail it back to your resort in Cancun. This may take some time, so you may need a couple of weeks there at least to sort it out.

2. Rearrange your return flight to go to USA instead. Then you can simply go to Canada land border and enter with just your expired PR card. CBSA will easily be able to look up your valid PR status.

Hey i have question. I have expired Pr card and still inside of canada and I already submit a renewal for my pr card. My question is im going to travel back home, Am i allowed to get a PRTD with expired pr card so i can go back to canada?

Is there any problem leaving canada with expired pr card then comeback with PRTD? Please help me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey i have question. I have expired Pr card and still inside of canada and I already submit a renewal for my pr card. My question is im going to travel back home, Am i allowed to get a PRTD with expired pr card so i can go back to canada?

Is there any problem leaving canada with expired pr card then comeback with PRTD? Please help me.
As long as you meet the residency requirement, getting a PRTD won't be a problem.

Owareyes

Oct 16, 2018
As long as you meet the residency requirement, getting a PRTD won't be a problem.
I’ve been living in canada for 6 years.
Its just my concern that leaving canada with expired pr card/still in process for renewal would give some problem to get back inside of canada.

So if you say prtd wont be a problem. I will be allowed to get back to canada with prtd and expired pr card.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just a quick question, where should i apply this prtd? Is it to the country that im going to? Thankyou
You apply for a PRTD in the country you are going to keeping in mind there is no published processing time for PRTD applications, could be days could be weeks and even varies by country. A PRTD will let you board a plane back to Canada and sure with your passport, a PRTD and expired PR card that’s enough to show CBSA on return.

Owareyes

Oct 16, 2018
You apply for a PRTD in the country you are going to keeping in mind there is no published processing time for PRTD applications, could be days could be weeks and even varies by country. A PRTD will let you board a plane back to Canada and sure with your passport, a PRTD and expired PR card that’s enough to show CBSA on return.
Can you tell me where can i get those application forms for prtd and what are the requirements. Thankyou.

Marjiebleu

Nov 29, 2018
I found out that my PR card expired couple months ago and submitted my application for renewing PR card on November 28th.

My PR card expired on May 12 2016 and I just totally forgot about it and booked a trip to Cancun in August. Now the problem is... I'm waiting for my PR card to come but I'm not sure I'll receive it due to holiday season and new years..

Would I be able to get back to Canada with expired PR card?
I have lived in Canada since 2006 so I fulfill all the necessary requirements. But I just want to make sure I can leave and enter the country.

Thank you so much for your help!
Hi there, can you please share your experience of what happened at the end? Did you get you PR TD abroad? How long did it took to get it done from Mexico?

ecallawwerdna

Jan 13, 2019
You can fly back on your US passport. Don't show the expired card or tell the airline that you are a PR.
You're sure that this is ok? My wife (american citizen who is a canadian permanent resident) wants to travel to mexico with her sister, but she is still waiting for her new card. She doesn't want to get stuck outside the country (we have 3 young kids).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You're sure that this is ok? My wife (american citizen who is a canadian permanent resident) wants to travel to mexico with her sister, but she is still waiting for her new card. She doesn't want to get stuck outside the country (we have 3 young kids).
Yes.

jame77

Jan 13, 2019
Just in case anyone is thinking it's easy to travel back to canada with an expired PR card... No. It is difficult. My parents went overseas, their cards had not arrived yet so they went assuming it would be fine. Airline refused them, embassy in Amsterdam couldn't help them, consulate in dusseldorf couldn't help them, were told to go to Vienna and then it could take a week. I luckily had their mail key, had a "quick" 400km round trip and was so thankful their cards were in the mail (passport you have to sign for but a PR card is just in an envelope with your regular mail... thankfully or it would have been a real pain in the ass) Sent it fedex international first ($$$) so they can actually get back home tomorrow. And don't expect any help at the airport... or the embassy..... or at the consulate....

Reactions: YVR123

ecallawwerdna

Jan 13, 2019
I too am in a similar situation. I hold a US passport and am a Canadian PR. My PR card has expired and I am travelling to Portugal in a few weeks. Can I not just fly back just showing my US passport?

Has anyone had any luck boarding a plane with an expired PR card??
Hey there, did you end up going without a valid PR card? Can you tell me your experience coming back? Thanks!

MisterP

Mar 14, 2019
Sure you can enter Canada no problem, but it's getting here that will be a big issue. In order to board an airplane from Cancun to Canada, you must show a valid PR card or PR Travel Document to the airline at check-in, no exceptions. Without these, you will be denied boarding at the airport and stranded in Cancun.

So if your PR card doesn't arrive in time you only have 2 options:
1. Apply for PR TD when you arrive in Cancun. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html
The Visa Application Centre is in Mexico city, so you'd need to mail the PT TD app plus your passport there, have them process the PR TD, and mail it back to your resort in Cancun. This may take some time, so you may need a couple of weeks there at least to sort it out.

2. Rearrange your return flight to go to USA instead. Then you can simply go to Canada land border and enter with just your expired PR card. CBSA will easily be able to look up your valid PR status.
Dosent he need to have a Visa to rearrange flight to USA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dosent he need to have a Visa to rearrange flight to USA?
Yes - he would need to have a valid US visa to fly to the US.

abduls16

Feb 18, 2014
My wife, son and I are stuck in the UK. Son and I are canadian citizen but my wife has a UK passport with an expired PR card (just expired less than 2 months ago) we were totally unaware of this and only found out at the airport before reaching the counter.....really annoying!
I’m looking into applying for for a PRTD for her....or should I fly to the states and drive in? What would I tell the us customs and border control?