+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Restoration of study permit and PGWP.Please read this before applying

Madhusha12

Feb 16, 2017
I feel like it is spam. You no longer need a valid study permit to apply for pgwp according to new rules.

sage369

Sep 13, 2019
I feel like it is spam. You no longer need a valid study permit to apply for pgwp according to new rules.
Even if you no longer need a valid study permit to apply for a pgwp, do I still have to restore my status if my pgwp was refused (forgot to click SUBMIT after uploading my transcripts)? If so, do I restore my status as a visitor or student?

Aug 28, 2019
Even if you no longer need a valid study permit to apply for a pgwp, do I still have to restore my status if my pgwp was refused (forgot to click SUBMIT after uploading my transcripts)? If so, do I restore my status as a visitor or student?
Ya you have to restore your status as worker

JN1016

Sep 20, 2019
[
Restore my status as a worker or visiter? How can I restore my status as a worker, if my previous status was a student status?
I met an international student advisor and she told me to restore status as visitor, not worker or student. I’ve also contacted with some angency and they also said the same things.

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hi,

I can finally tell my story now:

My study permit was expired on August 03,2019 And I received my completion letter from the university on August 05,2019 hence because of being two days late I lost my status and I couldn’t apply online or do the flagpole..

Here started my journey of figuring out the right process of restoring the status and applying for PGWP ..spoke with many cic agents / former applicants and immigration help associations and came to a conclusion that I would apply for restoration as a worker + PGWP and hence paid $455 in total which includes $200 for restoration + $155 work permit + $100 open work permit..

Everything was good except for that the processing time for restoration is unknown and after 3 months were passed I contacted cic almost every week with no insight on my file and the only answer was to wait .. Reached out to the Edmonton office MP and Montreal office MP Who helped in querying the IRCC about my file as well..

Finally on Monday, IRCC said that I applied incorrectly and should have requested for restoring of status as student as I can’t restore as a worker because I never had that status..this situation left me helpless as I would be finishing my 180 days on February 01 but luckily they didn’t reject the application and on Tuesday they requested me to apply for study permit extension along with another payment of $150.. Paid that and was having my fingers crossed.

I have been without status for over 5 months ...without health insurance..without being able to work or leave the country ... but today they sent email saying both the applications have been approved and will be mailed to me.. so now just waiting for my PGWP to arrive in post...

Any questions please don’t hesitates to reach out to me and Good luck everyone..:)

nav201

Feb 9, 2020
Hey can i get your contact details
hi,
I am in the same situation and I am going to pursue my application with CIC with $605 fees option. need your advice on one or two things as follow:

1. do I need a new offer letter from DLI.
2. I am over 90 days after completing studies and no valid study permit .
3. explanation I know i need to attach, but forms i am not sure IMM5709(study permit) and IMM5710(PGWP) restoration
4 Fees $605 and all in paper application one package.

thanks.
Just wondering how did you apply then?
Because I am in the same situation right now and there is no way I can get a new offer letter from a college as I already graduated. Plus Its been more than 90 days since I got a graduation letter.

Brief details - Got graduation letter - 1 Oct
Applied pgwp - 9 Oct (study perm valid - 30 nov 2019)
Refused - 14 Jan 2020 (out of status right now)
As in order to re apply I need to restore as a student but they require an acceptance letter.

Zod91

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Because I am in the same situation right now and there is no way I can get a new offer letter from a college as I already graduated. Plus Its been more than 90 days since I got a graduation letter.

As in order to re apply I need to restore as a student but they require an acceptance letter.
Why was it refused in the first place? Now that you are out of status, you should apply for the restoration of your status as soon as possible. You will have to submit the forms for study permit extension, work permit and pay the fees for study permit extension ($150), Work permit ($155), open work permit fee ($100) and restoration fees ($200). I am not sure if you get to apply all of this online but you can check. Also you can find the instructions on this page (last section at the bottom of the page):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/extend-study-permit.html

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014

You dont need an acceptance letter if you are restoring and applying for pgwp at the same time and explain that the sp is only for the PGWP application. There is an email from ircc that says exactly this I found on a lawyers website, I will try to find it & post.

Beauty$$$

Feb 21, 2020
DO NOT APPLY ONLINE!!!!! OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET REFUSED!I KNOW SO MANY PEOPLE WHO APPLIED FOR RESTORATION PLUS POST GRAD WORK PERMIT ONLINE AND THEY GOT REFUSED.YOU WILL GET REFUSED 1000 PERCENT!ITS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE EVERYONE IS MAKING AND GETTING REFUSED.

YOU HAVE TO FILE A PAPER APPLICATION.
2 FORMS YOU NEED TO FILL

1)STUDY PERMIT EXTENSION
2)POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT
VERY IMPORTANT THING IS A LETTER OF PERSONAL EXPLANATION IN WHICH YOU NEED TO TELL YOUR SITUATION THAT WHY DIDN'T YOU EXTEND YOUR STUDY PERMIT ON TIME.THIS SHOULD BE THE FIRST THING IN YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE WHEN SENDING.

FILL THESE 2 FORMS CAREFULLY!REMEMBER TO OPEN INSTRUCTION GUIDE FOR EACH FORM WHEN FILLING EACH FORM!NOW A QUESTION WILL ARISE IN YOUR MIND THAT YOU HAVE TECHNICALLY GRADUATED SO WHY DO YOU NEED STUDY PERMIT EXTENSION.THIS IS BECAUSE YOU NEED TO HAVE VALID STUDY PERMIT TO GET A PGWP.SO IMM OFFICER WILL FIRST RESTORE YOUR STATUS AS A STUDENT ON THE BASIS OF YOUR STUDY EXTENSION AND THEN WILL PROCESS YOUR PGWP APPLICATION.THAT IS WHY IT IS VERY VERY VERY IMP TO APPLY ON PAPER BECAUSE THERE WILL BE ONE PERSON WHO WILL BE PROCESSING YOUR APPLICATION AND HE/SHE WILL UNDERSTAND YOUR SITUATION.YOU NEED TO GET A LETTER OF ENROLLMENT FOR YOUR LAST SEMESTER WHICH STATES THAT YOU WERE TAKING COURSES IN YOUR LAST SEMESTER.AND ALSO TRY TO GET AN ADDITIONAL CUSTOM LETTER FROM UNI WHICH STATES THAT YOU HAVE BEEN A FULL TIME STUDENT SINCE YOU CAME TO CANADA TILL YOU GRADUATED.UNI WILL GIVE YOU THIS LETTER IF YOU REQUEST THEM.IT WILL MAKE YOUR CASE STRONG.

AFTER GETTING YOUR STUDY PERMIT APPLICATION COMPLETE WITH ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS INCLUDING **AN ENROLLMENT LETTER OF LAST SEMESTER PLUS AN ADDITIONAL LETTER THAT I TOLD EARLIER.

THEN YOU COMPLETE YOUR WORK PERMIT APPLICATION WITH ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS.BOTH OF APPLICATION HAVE FEW REQUIRED DOCUMENTS WHICH ARE MUTUAL LIKE PASSPORT COPIES.***BUT DO IT SEPARATELY.REMEMBER YOU ARE DOING **2 APPLICATIONS SEPARATELY AND JUST SENDING THEM TOGETHER.SO TREAT IT AS DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS.AFTER GETTING ALL DOCUMENTS PAY THE FEES WHICH IS ****$605.PAY IT ONLINE.PRINT 2 COLOUR COPIES AND ATTATCH WITH YOUR DOCUMENTS.MOST PEOPLE PAY $455 AND THEY WILL GET REFUSED.

AFTER GETTING EVERYTHING DONE WITH 2 APPLICATIONS.SEND THEM TO STUDY PERMIT EXTENSION ADDRESS.
IF YOU NEED ANY HELP YOU CAN MESSAGE ME:)

Hi Hassan,
I did both study permit restoration and PGWP online, I paid $605 and study permit got refused.
I already passed the 180 days timeline. What should I do? Please advise. Thank you

JASPRET

Jan 23, 2020
Its a big confusion now a days. On the situation of restoration "what we need to apply as a "student" or "visitor". Because i know if your restoration gets refused your PGWP also get refused. Thay said you don't have a valid status in canada so we also refused your PGWP application. So please make sure about it. Because after refuse on restoration you don't have time for anything and you also got a country leaving order.

Beauty$$$

Feb 21, 2020
Its a big confusion now a days. On the situation of restoration "what we need to apply as a "student" or "visitor". Because i know if your restoration gets refused your PGWP also get refused. Thay said you don't have a valid status in canada so we also refused your PGWP application. So please make sure about it. Because after refuse on restoration you don't have time for anything and you also got a country leaving order.
I think the reason they refused my study permit restoration was because they did not read my explanation letter, they thought I restored it to continue studying, but in fact I restored it for the PGWP.
Is there any way to let them know that my restoration is for the PGWP?
It is very urgent, I do not think I have much time now.
Please share. Thank you.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
If you were a student and need to restore in order to get PGWP there is confirmation from IRCC that you should apply for restoration to student and PGWP at the same time. Some have had success restoring to other statuses but the official possition is restore to student.

Beauty$$$

Feb 21, 2020
If you were a student and need to restore in order to get PGWP there is confirmation from IRCC that you should apply for restoration to student and PGWP at the same time. Some have had success restoring to other statuses but the official possition is restore to student.
Hi,
I did apply to restore it to student, but I do not know why they did not approve it, even though I did include a letter explaining my situation.