+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency card about to Expire and Traveling abroad

witchoneuk

Sep 18, 2018
I have applied for a renewal of my PR card - however, given the current processing times, it is unlikely that my new card will show up before I'm due to travel.

Q1. I still hold a British password, will I be asked to show my PR card when leaving the country and as it will have already expired by 10 days will they let me board (unless of course they don't ask)

Q2. If they let me board, will I be able to return to Canada with the expired card - even if I provide my original documentation confirming landed immigrancy ?

Q3. Any suggestion on getting some expediency on my processing ? it was originally submitted in April which should have been plenty of time - was returned due to missing payment (long story paid to some agency that scammed us) and re-submitted mid-august.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
You can leave the country (Canada has no exit control), and you can re-enter the country by showing them your landing document at port of entry.

One thing you cannot do is board a commercial plane back to Canada, since British citizens require eTA to board a plane to Canada, but you're a permanent resident and won't be able to apply for eTA, and without a PR card, the airline company won't let you in.

The only choice you have is to fly to the US (you will need ESTA), and then enter Canada through a land border.

Once at the border, show them your landing paper, and they will let you in (assuming you have no inadmissibility issue like criminal charges or convictions, RO violation, or misrepresentation, they'll let you in without issue).

Reactions: dpenabill