+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RESIDENCE QUESTIONNAIRE

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
i just saw in other posts that people applied in october 2011, received their test in July 2012 and received notice to take oath in august. the whole process only took 10 months in St claire office. regarding the new operational bullitin, would you quickly explain what has changed? thank you.

rita.p

Aug 20, 2012
well basically they are saying that an internal audit was conducted which showed that there was not enough evidence in the files to support the declared absences as well as pieces of evidence across the files were inconsistent. Thus, now they are changing the process to standardize it somewhat (thus, i am assuming more RQ's is to have more evidence which they were apparently lacking)

The remainder is harder summarize as the only copy i found has some sections removed (i guess ones which only CIC workers are supposed to see) but that's what i can make out of it.

1st change - \they now have to do a checklist - first completed in the mailroom when your file is received and then later when it is transferred to the CIC office and during your interview - ie extra step = slower process

2nd change - RQ: if you are giving one, the office will analyze it and give a briefing memo to the judge. It says that offices are now required to review your RQ prior inviting you for the test to avoid the situations like now when they give it to you during or after the test. so Sydney office prior to sending the application to local office will put it on hold, so your local office knows not to schedule a test for you.again, mooooreeee delays .... sigh

they talk how if you got an RQ it can be a regular case or prohibition case. but hide all the details. Also there are instructions which are hidden so it doesn't shine much light on why people are getting RQs.

However, it seems that a lot more paperwork needs to be done and it definitely sounds like they are cracking the whip on absences and want stronger support...

Hope this helps! good luck to everyone!

rita.p

Aug 20, 2012
well my understanding is it depends when your file was transferred. I applied about a year ago and got my RQ so i dont think your are 100% safe.. i think everyone's application after May 2012 will follow this new procedures. But again - you never know

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
i applied in oct 2011, start processing in march 2012, still waiting for the test. this is my 2nd application already. i did an RQ in my first application due to not meeting 1095 days. since later on i met the 1095 days requirement, i withdrew the 1st application. this is my 2nd application. No RQ yet. keep finger crossed.

rita.p

Aug 20, 2012
well i applied in August 2011 and they started processing in March 2012 as well. So it looks like we are in the same batch. Hopefully you wont get it! its a torture to be honest!

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
i know it is a torture. i did that one year ago. the good thing is this time i have enough days. no matter how long it takes, i know i won't get rejected. if they send me RQ again, i will just copy whatever i sent them last year. st claire typically start processing nine months from the application being received. so you are in their timeframe. i have friend approved from st claire, their speed is very fast.

elaine123

Sep 7, 2012
Hello, I received my RQ before the test. This place feels like home, which comforts me when I find I'm not alone:)

I have a few questions about the supporting documents:
1). They ask for the passport stamps be translated into English or French by a Canadian accredited translator. Then how to find these translators?
2). I left Canada and am working in another country after I submitted the application for citizenship. I didn't change my mailing address since I have a friend taking care of my mail and I'm worried the international mail is easier to gets lost sometimes. Any idea if it's a problem?

Thanks a lot!

samaabraham

Aug 7, 2012
Hello Sama111
The you got from the officer is a residency questionnaire where you have to fill it up and send them all the necessary documents that prove your stay and establishment in canada. It is not how big the file you send is, send them satisfying documents that clearly show that you are well-established in canada like T4 & T5 , Payroll - Tax notice of assessment, Travel History from cbsa, health records and education records for you and other family members. There is no time limit for the immigration officers to respond to you after you send it. It may take 6 months or 3 years. Be patient, No Rush.
Good Luck

Mischka

Sep 26, 2012
Hi Everyone! Well, I just received my residence questionnaire...sigh ::)

I just have a quick question, on the first page of the form it says that I need to provide

*passports (include colour photocopies)* Do I have to send my actual passport??? Or just photocopies would be enough?
*travel records from all countries you have a passport or travel document* What the hell is that?
*Health Records (is this the OHIP you guys are talking about? I do not live in Ontario so I called my regional hospital as well as my family doctor and they said they can issue letters with the dates of my doctors appointments, would that be enough?)

Another question that I have - I read this thread and noticed that a lot of people obtain their CBSA records themselves, why? In the end of the form there was a consent form for them to access my CBSA records so why are you guys doing it for them then?

PLEASE HELP!!!

juliehf

Sep 28, 2012
Hi

newbie here.

I took my citizenship test today and got an RQ because I got one of my absence dates slightly wrong (put down 27-30 June instead of 20-23rd June). That was the only fault so an RQ seems like overkill to be honest.

Mischka - I called the CIC today to ask the same questions about the travel documents. The operator I spoke to suggested that I should call the consulate for the countries I have visited during the time period given (for me this is the UK, where I am from, the US and Mexico) and ask them about their procedures. I called the UK consulate in Ottawa and was told that my only option is to call the individual airports where I landed in the UK to ask if they can help. It looks as though there is some standard set up in the US for requesting that information at least but goodness knows who I am going to call in Mexico (I only went there on vacation!).

It is very frustrating to have got to a point where I thought I could see the end of the process and to now be potentially held back 1-4 years as the RQ is processed. sigh

Mischka

Sep 26, 2012
juliehf said:
Mischka - I called the CIC today to ask the same questions about the travel documents. The operator I spoke to suggested that I should call the consulate for the countries I have visited during the time period given (for me this is the UK, where I am from, the US and Mexico) and ask them about their procedures. I called the UK consulate in Ottawa and was told that my only option is to call the individual airports where I landed in the UK to ask if they can help. It looks as though there is some standard set up in the US for requesting that information at least but goodness knows who I am going to call in Mexico (I only went there on vacation!).
Read the form again, it doesn't say that you need travel records from the countries you traveled to, it says you need travel records from the countries you hold a valid passport of, for example if you're originally from the UK and don't have a passport with stamps showing you entering/leaving the country (lets say it expired and they kept your old passport when you got a new one), then you need to obtain your travel records from the British analog of CBSA, that's what it means. If you have a passport showing your movement from/to the country then you're good. It's either/or. Luckily I kept my old passport and the country I am from stamps your passport upon entering AND leaving the country so I assume this is enough when it comes to showing the travel records.

Same for the next question - they just list some documents you can present - lease/rental agreement, mortgage documents - obviously it's unlikely people rent and buy a house at the same time, so it's also either/or.

Sumer

Oct 1, 2012
Hope all are fine!
Do I need to contact OHIP for my medical record or I can go to my doctor/Clinic and get the record from there? to satisfy RQ requirment.
your response will really be appreciated.
Regards,

Ibrahim1910

Oct 4, 2012
Hi guys...I suppose to apply for the citizenship next month but to be honest i'm getting very nervous since I'm not working yet. I'm a physician and to be eligible to work in canada as a physician I need to go through a lot of exams !! Which really take a very long time to finish them all. I don't know whether the immigration officers will understand this point or not. On the other hand I'm receiving welfare from the government since I'm not working. Many friends told me that it would be a strong point in my file since I had to sign a consent when i applied to the welfare allowing them to track my move through the airport. Add on that, i have to meet the welfare caseworker at least once every six months. I have 2 kids were born in Canada. Are these facts enough to avoid the RQ ?!!